Peggie Hall

Jeff wrote:
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think a 27 gallon holding tank will
handle two weeks output for two people.

It depends on whether they're continuously aboard or away during the
weekdays at work. If they're continuously aboard, a 27 gal tank will
fill up in 5-days on average. Here's how to calculate it, regardless of
which toilet, manual or electric: Average flush including flush water
is about 1/2 gal...the average adult uses the toilet 5x day...so avg
output/person/day including flush water is 2.5 gal...x the number of
people. Divide the tank capacity by that number. In this case, 2 people
= 5 gal/day...27 gal tank capacity divided by 5 = 5.6 days to fill up
the tank.

If they're away from the boat during working hours, they can prob'ly get
at least another 3 days out of the tank...but that's still a bit shy of
two weeks unless he uses the lee rail a LOT!

Which, unless he's in waters where he can't use one, makes installing
Lectra/San look better all the time.

--
Peggie
----------

Don White

Capt. Neal® wrote:

My five-gallon cedar bucket has held my total output for the past fifteen
years. It's just a matter of how often it's emptied . . . 27-gallons sounds
excessive to me.

CN

Well...that explains it! Someone said you were a constipated S.O.B.
Gordon

Google on capt. neal, go to his web site and there you will see him in
what appears to be a postal uniform. And if you look closely, you will see
he looks exactly like the postie on "Cheers"! Can't remember his name, but a
good likeness! And when you think about it, the same personality!
Gordon
PS Sorry Cap, but as your site says "A man shouldn't mince words just to
spare the sensibilities of the ignorant"

Don White

Gordon wrote:
Google on capt. neal, go to his web site and there you will see him in
what appears to be a postal uniform. And if you look closely, you will see
he looks exactly like the postie on "Cheers"! Can't remember his name, but a
good likeness! And when you think about it, the same personality!
Gordon
PS Sorry Cap, but as your site says "A man shouldn't mince words just to
spare the sensibilities of the ignorant"

I believe the character from 'Cheers' was named Cliff.
A while back the Capt said he retired from the Postal Service...but
reliable sources say he was terminated. Seems his fellow 'posties' were
terrified Capt Neal was about to go 'postal'.
Matt O'Toole

bushman wrote:

Need to replace the head in my new boat. Practical Sailor has not
done a review that I can find. So I will let this group of practical
sailors review.
1. Wilcox Crittenden Santa Cruz Electric Head
2. Wilcox Crittenden Newport Electric Head
3. Raritan Sea Era Macerating Electric Toilet
4. Jabsco Electric Toilet
Thank you for your opinion. - Allen

The Raritan is the only one I have extensive experience with, but I've found it
to be amazingly effective and reliable. It's actually better than a land
toilet. I've never had a clog fail to clear by simply shutting off the water
intake. (Not that clogs happen very often though.) Normal toilet paper is no
problem either.

Even in a smaller/cheaper boat this is probably the first upgrade I'd make.
Manual heads are actually *less* reliable than this one.

Matt O.

Gordon Wedman

"Matt O'Toole" wrote in message
bushman wrote:

[...]

I installed one of the Raritan conversions in my first boat as I wanted to
avoid the clogged head syndrome. It does work well but is quite noisy. If
you are going to be getting up in the middle of the night to use the head
you may wake everyone else up. By the way, the vendor instructed me to use
heavy gauge wire, at least 12ga., as the unit draws something like 10 amps.

Peggie Hall

Gordon Wedman wrote:
I installed one of the Raritan conversions in my first boat...

Which one?

It does work well but is quite noisy.

All electric toilets that flush using raw (lake, sea, river) water are
noisy...'cuz contrary to popular belief, it's not the macerator or
discharge pump that makes all the noise (or consumes the most power),
it's the intake pump. A toilet designed to use onboard pressurized fresh
water is so quiet that it's actually quieter than many household
toilets...and also consumes less power--10 amp draw vs. 16-35...and also
uses anywhere from 30-50% less flush water.

However, if swapping a raw water toilet out for one designed to use
pressurized water is more than your budget will stand, mounting the
toilet on at least 1/2" of foam rubber will quiet it down a lot.
--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/store/custo...0&cat=6&page=1

JG

Why not install the intake below the water level so the noisy intake
pump could be eliminated? It doesn't have to be a 'throne' ya know . ..

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.cum

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message ...
Gordon Wedman wrote:
[...]

Peggie Hall

JG wrote:
Why not install the intake below the water level so the noisy intake
pump could be eliminated?

I'm not sure what you mean...'cuz all toilet intake thru-hulls are below
the waterline...they have to be to pull in any water. But if you mean,
isolate the intake pump so it's near the thru-hull, it's mostly only
"thrones" which make that possible...'cuz 99% of electric toilet don't
have separate remote intake pumps...the intake pump is on the back of
the toilet, powered by the same motor as the discharge pump and
macerator...so it cannot be isolated from the toilet. Nor are they
designed to allow passive flow of flush water intake...the intake pump
is an impeller pump that has to pull it into the toilet far enough to
let the discharge pump--also an impeller pump--to push it out.

--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/store/custo...0&cat=6&page=1

JG

Say you had the water level in the bowl below the water level outside the hull.
Wouldn't that eliminate the need for an intake pump?

--

JG wrote:
[...]

Evinrude Head Gasket Salt Deposits cnicoll General 3 August 31st 04 03:22 AM
What does MIT say about ionization and lightning?? JAXAshby ASA 70 August 25th 04 09:47 PM
'Lectric boats Gould 0738 General 1 July 28th 04 01:55 PM
replace head on a mercruiser 350 engine Han General 5 June 18th 04 02:59 AM
Head Gasket on 50 HP 93 Evinrude dp General 2 November 4th 03 12:46 PM