Larry W4CSC

Default working in foreign lands?

heftalena wrote in
:

some countries?

Which countries? Small countries are awfully jealous of their jobs and
have laws to prevent foreign workers from taking them from the locals,
unlike the US where we can't import enough illegals fast enough....

You'll need a "work permit" in every country I ever lived in and that's
what's hard to get, unless you're someone they REALLY need and can't get.

Google can help you find out about work permits and the laws of specific
countries you want to work in.

I've spent time in Middle East countries, having lived in Iran and worked
in Saudi Arabia and Bahrain. Everything there is very strict, as you can
imagine. It helps if you're a skilled military electronics
technician...(c;

engsol

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:45:45 -0400, Larry W4CSC wrote:

snip
It helps if you're a skilled military electronics
technician...(c;

Larry, I guess my ART-13 and ARR-15 experience wouldn't
hack it any more, would it... Wait..the ARC-5? Naw
Norm B
Rolf

I have worked in many foreign countries and I am currently working in
Thailand. Here is my experience:
1. the European thing used to work well but they have tightened this
up, so this may not be possible anymore. I was born in Germany but even
for me it is difficult to get a EU passport now.
2. Don't try to compete with locals because the wages are very low, so
doing manual labor is out.
3. In many countries you can teach english. Many times they have a lot
of local english teachers but they all speak english with a local
accent, so they are looking for native english speakers. If you go to
english schools they may hire you. My daughter taught english in Taiwan
through the YMCA. She had many private business men who wanted to
practice their english.
4. If you are a diving instructor, many dive places are looking for
dive instructors who can speak english.

engsol wrote:
On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:45:45 -0400, Larry W4CSC

wrote:

snip
It helps if you're a skilled military electronics
technician...(c;

Larry, I guess my ART-13 and ARR-15 experience wouldn't
hack it any more, would it... Wait..the ARC-5? Naw
Norm B

Gogarty

In article ,
says...

Don't you have to speak a second language to teach english?

Nope. Think Berlitz. Total immersion.

Glenn Ashmore

As others have said, getting a work permit in most of the places you would
want to cruise is a real PITA. Teachers and licenced medical personell are
usualy welcome but that is about it. OTOH, a competent refrigeration or
electronics tech can always get his bar tab covered and often earn some
walking around cash. If you have the talent, writing articles for the
sailing mags can contribute a little to the kitty.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"heftalena" wrote in message
Let's say a person has some money to cruise independently,.. but not
quite enough. You mostly network in the local cruising community where
ever you find yourself and work for them under the table? Can you work
legally as a us citizen in some countries? Thanks.

Paddy Malone

As far as I'm aware, if you were born in the UK and can prove it (e.g. with
a birth certificate) you can get a UK passport simply by applying for it at
your nearest consulate. I don't think it is a big deal, and you get to keep
you US passport too.

Cheers

"heftalena" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 17:30:53 -0400, Gogarty
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Let's say a person has some money to cruise independently,.. but not
quite enough. You mostly network in the local cruising community where
ever you find yourself and work for them under the table? Can you work
legally as a us citizen in some countries? Thanks.

Check out your ancestry. It could be that even as far back as your
grandparents could give you almost automatic citizenship in the country
of their birth. Then armed with a passport from, say, Ireland or Italy or
Austria or Holland, etc., you become a citizen of the European Union and
can reside and work anywhere in the EU. I'm sure it's not that simple,
but not that difficult either. My US-born daughter with her US-citizen
children has been working in Europe for years based on her Irish passport
derived from my birth certificate.

Hmm, I was born in the uk but have a us passport. It looked like a
long (3 -5 years) journey to get a uk passport from what I could see
but maybe the work permit is a gift. I do mostly 12v wiring, pc
hardware, boat repair. I have an electronics (non-military) and sound
reenforcement background.
Don't you have to speak a second language to teach english?
Ok, back to the varnish room. Thank you.

Padeen

My dive instructor was from London and he didn't speak English!

VHF radio recommendation Mark General 43 March 17th 05 06:59 PM
VHF radio recommendation Mark Cruising 45 March 17th 05 06:59 PM
VHF radio recommendation Wayne.B Electronics 25 March 17th 05 06:59 PM
Asatru resources Nik ASA 0 September 19th 03 03:31 PM