prodigal1

Default Penetrol +old gelcoat

Anyone care to share any experience using this product when trying to
rejuvenate old gelcoat?
Doug Dotson

My first experience with it was just last week when a friend of mine used
it on his old Pierson. Looks nice and he says it lasts a season. I'm a bit
skeptical as I saw his boat all last summer and it didn;t look all that
great then.

Doug

"prodigal1" wrote in message
Anyone care to share any experience using this product when trying to
rejuvenate old gelcoat?

Jim

prodigal1 wrote:

Anyone care to share any experience using this product when trying to
rejuvenate old gelcoat?

Will look great for a while, then look worse than it did before.
There's no magic snake oil for "rejuvenating old gel coat" except for
rubbing compound and wax.

Don't listen to anyone who wants you to buy magic beans either.

MMC

I've used Poly Glow on my boat (31 years old) for the past 2 years and
wouldn't use anything else.
When I first applied (5 coats took about 3 hours 41' hull) I was next to a
boat whose owner was adamant about polish and buffing. I had a fraction of
his time in Poly Glowing my boat and it looked a lot better than his!
MMC

"Dave" wrote in message
On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 00:35:04 -0400, prodigal1 said:

Anyone care to share any experience using this product when trying to
rejuvenate old gelcoat?

From reports I've seen, you're likely to be happier with Poly Glow.

prodigal1

MMC wrote:
I've used Poly Glow on my boat (31 years old) for the past 2 years and
wouldn't use anything else.
When I first applied (5 coats took about 3 hours 41' hull) I was next to a
boat whose owner was adamant about polish and buffing. I had a fraction of
his time in Poly Glowing my boat and it looked a lot better than his!
MMC

Interesting. Our boat is 38 years old and we have had PolyGlow on it
for the last four years and it really did give a great finish. This was
over the original pacific blue gelcoat on the hull and the off-white
topsides. We stripped the PolyGlow off and waxed last year and weren't
too happy with the results. We read a bit about restoring the colour of
old gelcoat with Penetrol and wonder if anyone has had any success
livening-up darker gelcoats with this product. We may go back to the
PolyGlow this year though.

cleaning bird crap off gelcoat and nonskid boatgeek Cruising 3 March 20th 05 01:13 AM
Penetrol & EasyPoxy Tailgunner Boat Building 6 March 12th 04 05:11 PM
removing cetol from gelcoat Chuck Boat Building 2 March 7th 04 10:35 PM
Penetrol Simple Simon ASA 0 August 17th 03 05:46 PM
Gelcoat Repair JS Cruising 1 August 3rd 03 12:13 PM