Tailgunner

Default Penetrol & EasyPoxy

Anybody use Penetrol with Petite's EasyPoxy?

--
Tailgunner
Idiot#1 BS#232

Ron Magen

Yes.

I keep a can of Penetrol handy for use with Varnish, and oil-based paints
{Pettit is my 'finish of choice'}. I also keep a container of Flotrol around
for use with water-based finishes.

You really have to 'play' with both for additions. Don't just dump it in and
think to use that quantity all the time. How much to add depends on YOU.
That is, YOUR 'feel' for how the finish is going on, the ambient
temperature, humidity, age of the finish, surface being finished, etc.

Better to add it a bit at a time - 'testing' as you go.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
backyard Boatshop

"Tailgunner" wrote in message
Anybody use Penetrol with Petite's EasyPoxy?

--
Tailgunner
Idiot#1 BS#232
'90 FLSTC "X-Girth" - For Sale
xgirth.nbrigham.com

Tailgunner

Ron Magen wrote:

Yes.

I keep a can of Penetrol handy for use with Varnish, and oil-based paints
{Pettit is my 'finish of choice'}. I also keep a container of Flotrol around
for use with water-based finishes.

You really have to 'play' with both for additions. Don't just dump it in and
think to use that quantity all the time. How much to add depends on YOU.
That is, YOUR 'feel' for how the finish is going on, the ambient
temperature, humidity, age of the finish, surface being finished, etc.

Better to add it a bit at a time - 'testing' as you go.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
backyard Boatshop

Thanks Ron.

I figured I'd merely add a "bit" of Pentrol and test it on some scrap pieces.

I really like this EasyPoxy. Esp when using MDO/MDF and 2 coats of their primer.
Begining to look like PVC...........

"Tailgunner" wrote in message
Anybody use Penetrol with Petite's EasyPoxy?

--
Tailgunner
Idiot#1 BS#232
'90 FLSTC "X-Girth" - For Sale
xgirth.nbrigham.com

--
Tailgunner
Idiot#1 BS#232
'90 FLSTC "X-Girth" - For Sale
xgirth.nbrigham.com

P.C. Ford

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:27:00 -0500, Tailgunner
wrote:

Anybody use Penetrol with Petite's EasyPoxy?

If I recall correctly, EasyPoxy is a polyurethane. When penetrol is
added to polyurethane-based paint, it leaves tiny craters on the
surface. Don't use it! Why this information is not displayed on the
Penetrol can I have no idea. But of course, there is no warning on
epoxy containers that most epoxies cannot glue white oak successfully
either.

Meindert Sprang

"P.C. Ford" wrote in message
But of course, there is no warning on
epoxy containers that most epoxies cannot glue white oak successfully
either.

Maybe because white oak glues fine with epoxy?

Meindert

P.C. Ford

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 08:53:32 +0100, "Meindert Sprang"
wrote:

"P.C. Ford" wrote in message
.. .
But of course, there is no warning on
epoxy containers that most epoxies cannot glue white oak successfully
either.

Maybe because white oak glues fine with epoxy?

This subject has been covered here before (and on the Wooden Boat
forum) Try a search on both venues.
Meindert Sprang

wrote:
Maybe because white oak glues fine with epoxy?

This subject has been covered here before (and on the Wooden Boat
forum) Try a search on both venues.

I know. And I also know from experience that when done right, white oak
glues fine with epoxy. Just sand it across the grain with grit 40 or 60 and
the oak gets enough 'teeth' for the epoxy to hold on to.

Meindert