boatgeek

Default cleaning bird crap off gelcoat and nonskid

OK, I've got a tarp I'm going to be removing from my boat and I know
there is that horrible dark red/black bird crap waiting for me.

What's the best stuff to clean it up with? Also, I would really like
my boat to look good this year, anything recommended for gelcoat? (it's
only a 1999, so the gelcoat should be in decent shape once I clean it
and treat it).

Doug

St Francis 44
Annapolis, MD

For bird crap on gelcoat - we get starlings, geese, ducks and even
herons - I use a supermarket product called "Fantastik". You wash off
the blob, spray Fantastic on, rub as required and hose it off. Also
"Tilex" works, but I prefer Fantastic.

Seems bird crap is as much a part of sailing as cold beer.

Then, there's the whole subject of spider crap...

Gary MacDonald
Kingston, ON
http://home.ca.inter.net/~gkmd/sail/CarpeDiem.htm

boatgeek wrote:
OK, I've got a tarp I'm going to be removing from my boat and I know
there is that horrible dark red/black bird crap waiting for me.

What's the best stuff to clean it up with? Also, I would really

like
my boat to look good this year, anything recommended for gelcoat?

(it's
only a 1999, so the gelcoat should be in decent shape once I clean it
and treat it).

Doug

St Francis 44
Annapolis, MD

Dry

Yes, Fantastic w/bleach works wonders. Had the same problems with
fledgling turns last summer. What a mess! Don't get any on you
though. It will take the spots off a Dalmation.

boatgeek wrote:

OK, I've got a tarp I'm going to be removing from my boat and I know
there is that horrible dark red/black bird crap waiting for me.

What's the best stuff to clean it up with? Also, I would really like
my boat to look good this year, anything recommended for gelcoat? (it's
only a 1999, so the gelcoat should be in decent shape once I clean it
and treat it).

Doug

St Francis 44
Annapolis, MD

Howard Peer

While I have no experience with bird crap and gel coat I do have three
parrots. Specialty bird stores sell something called "Poop off."

Try this link http://thebirdstore.com/index.html?main.htm&1

The owner is Todd Marcus and he is very knowlegable. The staff are
quite helpful as well, at least about birds.

Howard