Capt. Neal®

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in message ...
That just depends. Putting the compressor in the engine room is fine since
the purpose of the compressor is to heat up the refrigerant. It's the
condenser that is the issue. A water cooled condenser doesn;t much
care where it is. An air-cooled unit does need cool air to be efficient.

Oh Dear! What a total lack of understanding you display with your
ignorant statement above.

The heat in the ice box is removed by the expanding refigerant in the evaporator
and expelled by the compressed refrigerant in the compressor. The cooler the
environment of the compressor the better the system works.

The purpose of the compressor is NOT to heat up the refrigerant. The purpose of
the compressor is to compress the refrigerant and the heat is a by-product of
compression. The cooler the compressed gas the more heat it can carry away
from the ice box when it expands in the evaporator.

I hope this helps.

CN

It's far better to put the compressor in as cool and well-ventilated space
as
can be found on the boat within the limits of the copper tubing to the
evaporator,
of course.

Your knowledge of refrigeration seems to be limited to the Adler-Barbour

And your knowledge seems to come from Uranus!

CN
Capt. Neal®

"prodigal1" wrote in message news
DSK wrote:

So you think this is a self-abuse group? Or some kind of therapy?
You obviously have nothing intelligent to say on the subject of
cruising, sailing, or (distantly related topic) marine refrigeration.

Please don't respond to this newsgroup's new village idiot. He has
nothing of any value whatsoever to add to any thread. He has an
honoured place in my idiot bin and I would rather not read his horsesh*t
attributed in other people's posts.

I certainly straightened out idiot Doug Dotson.

CN
Capt. Neal®

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in message ...
Doug,

Give me a call and we can talk about a real, actual system that works.

Doug, as stupid as he is, just might listen to a fool who says the purpose of the
compressor is to heat up the refrigerant . . .

CN
Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen

"DD" == Doug Dotson dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom writes:

DD "Capt. Neal®" wrote in message
DD ...

"DSK" whined like a limp-wristed wimp.

You obviously have nothing intelligent to say on the subject of cruising,
sailing, or (distantly related topic) marine refrigeration.

DSK

Too bad you're too blind to read the post in alt.sailing.asa cut and
pasted
below . . .

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...

DSK wrote:
Joe wrote:
you building a custom space with a cold plate, and putting the
compressor in your engine room?

No, they have this marvelous new technology called electricity!

I am putting in a 12V freezer, that way it can run when it needs to
regardless of what our power config (shore power, underway, anchored,

genset running, etc).

Even a 12 V electric compressor can be noisy. With just a few feet of
plumbing you can have a more proffessional set up and better access to
your compressor in the engine room.

A refrigerator is a heat pump.
It is rather stupid to put the compressor in a hot engine room because
it decreases the efficiency of the heat pump when the hot side of the pump
is in a hot environment.

DD That just depends. Putting the compressor in the engine room is fine since
DD the purpose of the compressor is to heat up the refrigerant. It's the
DD condenser that is the issue. A water cooled condenser doesn;t much
DD care where it is. An air-cooled unit does need cool air to be efficient.

Actually, the purpose is not to heat the refrigerant, but to compress
it. It heats up because it is compressed. You remove the heat, and it
condenses. It evaporates (expands), and absorbs heat, and so on. But I agree,
with a water cooled condenser, it does not matter much where the
compressor is, as long as you stay within its operational limits.

snip

--
C++: The power, elegance and simplicity of a hand grenade.
DSK

Gogarty wrote:
As for refrigeration, check out the Italian Frigoboat Frigomatic with the
keel cooler. It is very similar to the standard Danfoss compressor
driven unit -- it uses a Danfoss compressor -- but has no fan or pump to
draw power. It is easily installed in an existing icebox. Mine uses half
the amps the old one did (what is that name?) Mine cost $1,005.

Thanks for the recommendation. How long have you had it? We are
considering one of the units with a keel cooler made as a thru-hull.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Don White

prodigal1 wrote:
DSK wrote:

So you think this is a self-abuse group? Or some kind of therapy?
You obviously have nothing intelligent to say on the subject of
cruising, sailing, or (distantly related topic) marine refrigeration.

Please don't respond to this newsgroup's new village idiot. He has
nothing of any value whatsoever to add to any thread. He has an
honoured place in my idiot bin and I would rather not read his horsesh*t
attributed in other people's posts.

Please do not feed the troll.

I thought we were rid of him a couple of years back after the US Post
Office finally wised up and terminated his a**. He was supposed to take
that crappy sailing tub of his and try to be a 'real man' sailing the
South Seas. Where were those pirates when we needed them??
Skip Gundlach

Please don't respond to this newsgroup's new village idiot. He has
nothing of any value whatsoever to add to any thread. He has an
honoured place in my idiot bin and I would rather not read his horsesh*t
attributed in other people's posts.

Please do not feed the troll.

Heh. He's hardly new (Hi, Neal!). He's just been gone from these pages for
a couple of years.

Like Jax (who took a sabbatical a while back, on advice of a physician
encouraging him to limit his stressors, but who surfaces, now and again),
nuggets of wisdom occasionally fall from the purse of CN. Otherwise, he
seems to enjoy tweaking everyone's nose.

I've not yet gotten to the point where I killfile either - but sometimes the
threads get tiresome :{))

OTOH, perhaps it was just irksome to CN to find less than complete info.
I've often been guilty of the same thing (putting up a request without
remembering that I got to a certain point after lots of thinking, but that
the readers hadn't been along for the ride).

So, back to helping Doug with his refrigeration :{))

Depends on what you mean by "trouble-free" and what your limitations are.

For example, the water-from-the-engine-pump coolant, the honking big
compressor on the front of the engine, and massive cold plates, makes for a
pretty trouble-free setup - if you don't mind running the engine.

For me, it's a keel cooler and a spillover - flat plate evaporator
with two digital thermostats and internal fans to keep it all uniform in
temps and no pumps, no holes in the boat (if you discount the hole you have
to make to install the keel cooler, which plugs it, completely) and no
particular concern for how hot it is where the compressor is located (ER in
my case).

To each his own...

L8R

Skip, off the boat briefly before a 4-week foray to try to get *something*
buttoned up!
--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain