BoatBanter.com

-   -   What weapon to choose. (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/29313-what-weapon-choose.html)

Len March 20th 05 11:19 AM

What weapon to choose.

The missus and I are preparing our boat and ourselves for a RTW-trip
in a few years. My attention was drawn to the story of the two yachts
that succesfully defended themselves from pirates in the Yemen area.

In the ever ongoing weapons discussion I take a moderate position.
I know I'll be on my own, in known risky places preferably accompanied
by a few other yachts in a convoy. SSB is your friend here...

But when problems do arise I want to have a choice.
Depending on the situation I want to make a choice between a)
waving/using a gun and b) let it lie in it's place...,

So... In order to have this choice, I will have a weapon on board, all
legal, with permits, in a locker thats sealed and locked and I will
undergo without complaints the cumbersome customs-scenes every time I
enter some new territory ....

My question is: what would be a good choice for a weapon ?
I am not a drilled marksman so I guess I'll choose a shotgun, as the
yacht in the aforementioned story had chosen. When I google around a
bit this pump action Mossberg M590A1comes up pretty often. Together
with 00-rounds this would be a helpful combination I guess.

Can anyone add comments, experiences or advice ?
Please feel free to send your answer to my private email if you don't
want to post in this group.

Regards,
Len.

Mike G March 20th 05 04:07 PM

In article 1111317563.a8a0fef5a95910e18e9eaa0f9662aab4@teran ews,
says...
[...]

Can't give you legal but I had a buddy that asked me the same question
for the same reason.

My choice would be a sawed off or short as possible, read that riot gun
which would probably be legal, 12 Ga pump shotgun loaded with #4 bird
shot.

At the ranges found on most boats the shotgun will require no great
feats of marksmanship, the #4 shot will be deadly, and collateral damage
from over penetration would be minimized.

Sawed off or riot gun because a full barreled shotgun would be awkward
to wield in the tight confines of a boat.

You would not be picking them off at any great distance with the gun but
it's be hell on a small boat packed with people when they got up close,
and there isn't any sound quite as intimidating as the one of a shell
being racked into the chamber of a shotgun.

IMPORTANT NOTES

If you should run into circumstance where such force was necessary and
used it but failed to kill or seriously maim all the bad guys or,
unlikely but possible, intimidate them into leaving, when they do gain
control of the boat it is quite possible they may be just a tad put out
with you and inclined to show it.

Really bad bad guys tend to be skeptical of good guys with guns. It's a
moral thing. If you should run into a time when you REALLY REALLY think
you need to use the gun don't do anything stupid like telling them to go
away or you'll shoot or put up their hands. Keep your mouth shut and
start blasting. don't stop till there is no one left standing. You'll
only have five shots in the magazine so practice speed loading.

IF you are not sure of a situation keep the firearm close at hand and
out of sight and don't go waving it around like it's a magic wand. Keep
it as your "ace in the hole".

If you don't think you can do that don't waste money on a firearm. It'll
only get you into more trouble then you would have been in without it.

Good luck

--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods

www.heirloom-woods.net

Don White March 20th 05 04:08 PM

"Len" wrote in message
snip.....
My question is: what would be a good choice for a weapon ?
I am not a drilled marksman so I guess I'll choose a shotgun, as the
yacht in the aforementioned story had chosen. When I google around a
bit this pump action Mossberg M590A1comes up pretty often. Together
with 00-rounds this would be a helpful combination I guess.

Why limit yourself to one? I'd have the shotgun for in close, but also
something with 'range'...just in case they stay a bit off and take pot shots
at you.

Lew Hodgett March 20th 05 06:34 PM

Len wrote:

snip

My question is: what would be a good choice for a weapon ?
I am not a drilled marksman so I guess I'll choose a shotgun, as the
yacht in the aforementioned story had chosen. When I google around a
bit this pump action Mossberg M590A1comes up pretty often. Together
with 00-rounds this would be a helpful combination I guess.

Can anyone add comments, experiences or advice ?

There was a time in my life when I was a very accomplished marksman as
well as a successful hunter.

Still own those weapons, both rifles and shotguns.

A few years ago, decided to try to use up some ammunition my father had
purchased during WWII and see if it was still good.

Went sailing one afternoon, took my trusty Model 12, Winchester shotgun
and some empty throw away beer bottles for targets.

The waves were about 2-3 ft and had about 10 knots of wind.

Set the autopilot on a beam reach, trimmed the sails, loaded the shotgun
and proceeded to conduct target practice.

About 25-30 shots later, I had failed to either hit a bottle while it
was still in the air or after it had landed in the water.

It was quite an eye opener.

Based on that afternoon, I came to the conclusion that a weapon onboard
is a bigger PITA than it is worth, especially when it will probably less
than effective than you might think.

One other thing, unless you are willing to pick up a weapon and shoot
another human being dead on the spot without even a moment's hesitation,
forget having a weapon onboard.

BTW, I'm still a pretty good marksman, on a shooting range, but not on a
boat.

YMMV

HTH

Lew

Bruce in Alaska March 20th 05 07:09 PM

Len wrote:

[...]

In reference to the above mentioned story, the author stated the obvious.
If the pirates had just stood off and ripped the vessels with their
automatic weapons, that would have been the end of the story. The luck
here was the pirates were stupid and greedy. They tried to board before
the occupants were incapacitated, and suffered their fate at the wrong
end of the 12Ga. 00 Buck loaded shotgun. If I was to specify a setup
for a High Seas Weapons Locker, it would include, both a Standoff Weapon,
and Close-Encounter Weapon. Both need to be available. Standoff Weapon
of choice for me would be a Semi-auto Rifle in 308 NATO with Magazine
Feed, and at least a 20" Barrel and 3X9 Scope. Close-Encounter Weapon of
choice would be an Extended Magazine Pump-action 12Ga. Stainless Shotgun
loaded with 00 Buck and Slugs, alternatly. This gives you, "Reach out
and Touch Someone" range of 300 Meters, and massive close-in firepower
for when the Badguys are trying to board. Nothing like looking down the
wrong end of a 12Ga Shotgun barrel, to give the meanest BadGuys second
thoughts.

There was an outfit in Georgia, USA, that actually built and marketed
a combo weapon that was both a semi-auto 308 NATO rifle and semi-auto
12 Ga. shotgun, in an Over and Under Confguration, and both had Clip
Magazine Feeds. They wanted $900US+ for it, but it looked like a nice
weapon, for just this purpose. I have not seen it advertised for a
number of years, but if it is still in production, it might be worth
considering.

Most folks would be too scared, or not wnat to put up with the hassels
to have a Bondable Weapons Locker aboard their vessel, but for my money,
it would be manditory if I was going outside North American waters.

Bruce in alaska who also is a FFL holder.......
--
add a 2 before @

Bruce in Alaska March 20th 05 07:18 PM

In article . com,
Mike G wrote:

Can't give you legal but I had a buddy that asked me the same question
for the same reason.

My choice would be a sawed off or short as possible, read that riot gun
which would probably be legal, 12 Ga pump shotgun loaded with #4 bird
shot.

Sawed Off in the US means barrel length less than 18", and would not be
legal to own or posses on a US Flagged vessel. 18.25" barrel length
shotguns are vary avalible in the USA, and legal to own and posses.

[...]

Extended Magazine Pump-Action 12 Ga. Shotguns are certainly available
in the USA. This gives the weapon 8 rounds plus one in the Chamber,
which should be enough firepower, to allow for reloading, after the
first baradge at close range.

IF you are not sure of a situation keep the firearm close at hand and
out of sight and don't go waving it around like it's a magic wand. Keep
it as your "ace in the hole".

If you don't think you can do that don't waste money on a firearm. It'll
only get you into more trouble then you would have been in without it.

Good luck

--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods

www.heirloom-woods.net

Bruce in alaska an FFL, from way back........
--
add a 2 before @

bowgus March 20th 05 10:14 PM

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
.net...

One other thing, unless you are willing to pick up a weapon and shoot
another human being dead on the spot without even a moment's hesitation,
forget having a weapon onboard.

And that's where a revolver has an advantage ... a couple of lead nose to
discourage, and a couple of jacketed loads to ... well.

Roger Long March 20th 05 10:56 PM

Flame thrower, made to be assembled out of innocuous looking plumbing
fittings, scuba gear, and generator gas. If threatened, retire below
appearing to be wounded or dead after the first few shots.

When they come along side, paint their boat from bow to stern with
jellied gasoline and pull away while they ponder what to do next.

Or, maybe a fast radio controlled model boat with a half dozen sticks
of dynamite. Easier to hide the dynamite than a gun.

Remember the power of surprise and doing the unexpected. I'm sure the
news about that encounter has spread more widely among the pirate
community than it has among ours. They'll be ready to deal with guns
by the time you get there.

Just kidding but, food for thought.

--

Roger Long

Doug Dotson March 21st 05 03:38 AM

"Dave" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 20:40:38 -0500, "Doug Dotson"
dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom said:

Sounds like you need to practice.

Sounds like you've never tried target practice from the deck of a vessel
in
any but the calmest seas.

Wrong.