Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:34:51 -0500, Jeff
wrote:

Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:

For the same reason, I found (with a voltmeter) where the starter
button wires come to the relay that engages the starter. I have been
able to start with near-dead battery by crossing th econnection with a
screwdriver.

A button would be better if I were doing that all the time.

Isn't this called an "ignition switch"? What you're saying is that
the wiring though the ignition switch is too small (or corroded, etc.)
and is causing a voltage drop.

No, the starter solenoid. Nothing wrong with the wiring, but I
couldn't reach the compression releases from the cockpit, where the
starter button is.

BTW, I played that game hundreds of times with my old VW bug.
However, a few years back a friend was working under his car and
shorted the solenoid. Since it was in gear, the car lurched and fell
off the jackstands, crushing his hip. A big Ooops!

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

"In this house we _obey_ the laws of thermodynamics." --Homer Simpson
rhys

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:48:04 -0500, Jeff
wrote:

I'll be curious to hear the replies - although some will say it can be
done, I've only heard a few people say they have actually done it.

I hand-start my 30 HP Atomic 4 once a year to make sure I can do it if
I have to. Rubber-banding magazine shin guards to your legs is
recommended G

It works fine if the engine is in good tune.

I am interested in finding out what popular marine diesels can still
be started this way, if any, as I find it a great alternative.

I recall more than one cruising/racing tale where a dead or damaged
electrical system was circumvented by rigging a rope to a diesel
flywheel through blocks and then using the force of a crash gybe to
spin the wheel. (I am aware of the single-cylinder/flick the
compression levers technique)

Some time back, I saw a couple of firms that made wind-up starters,
which I thought was a great idea. You could use them every time or
keep one in storage as a spare starter (they had different mounting
models and teeth for the common marine diesels.

Ryk

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 19:08:41 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

The key question is whether a two cylinder diesel like a 20 hp Yanmar
2QM can really be hand started or if it is an "only when your life
absolutely depends on it" kind of operation. I don't have much
experience with engines under 200 HP so I'd appreciate the benefit of
actual experience.

Beat the crank by carrying a "booster pack" from your local auto
supplier. Small, light, cheap, sealed battery with jumper clamps that
will give you plenty of starting juice.

Ryk

Keith

Here are some spring wound diesel starters for small to BIG diesels!
http://62.73.167.82/

--

Keith
__
"Jeff" wrote in message
news
Roger Long wrote:
The consensus from the owner's forum for my boat on emergency starting a
2 cylinder Yanmar seems to be this:

For emergency starting with dead batteries, carry one of the following on
board. A Westmarine emergency battery pack or an NFL linebacker properly
trained and housebroken.

So why not just carry a two batteries instead of the emergency pack? You
can get AGM starters from an auto shop at about $100. With the low self
discharge you can jut keep one in reserve for the weekend.

Larry W4CSC

"Skip Gundlach" skipgundlach sez use my name at earthlink dot fishcatcher
(net) - with apologies for the spamtrap wrote in
:

6 L16HC are on the list...

Wow....Your own power company!....(c;

Rick

But the NFL Linebacker you can use as a grinder on windy days.

I agree with carrying two batteries. Go to west marine and buy a battery
combiner. With one of these you can keep the spare battery fresh and fully
charged. When the starting battery dies move the spare into full time duty
and buy a new spare.

"Keith" wrote in message
news
Here are some spring wound diesel starters for small to BIG diesels!
http://62.73.167.82/

--

Keith
__
"A typical vice of American politics is the avoidance of saying anything
real on real issues."- Theodore Roosevelt
"Jeff" wrote in message
news
Roger Long wrote:
The consensus from the owner's forum for my boat on emergency starting a
2 cylinder Yanmar seems to be this:

For emergency starting with dead batteries, carry one of the following
on board. A Westmarine emergency battery pack or an NFL linebacker
properly trained and housebroken.

So why not just carry a two batteries instead of the emergency pack? You
can get AGM starters from an auto shop at about $100. With the low self
discharge you can jut keep one in reserve for the weekend.

Roger Long

"Rick" wrote

I agree with carrying two batteries. Go to west marine and buy a
battery combiner. With one of these you can keep the spare battery
fresh and fully charged. When the starting battery dies move the
spare into full time duty and buy a new spare.

For a big engine large starting loads or no other way to start it,
sure. On a power boat where there is no other propulsion, absolutely.

The 20 hp diesel in my boat is a very small electrical load. People
have even started them with a handful of flashlight batteries in a
pinch. With both batteries tied together and doing everything, the
drawdown cycle from ship's service loads will only be half the
discharge depth for both batteries. Since these will be expensive
AGM's on my boat, that's significant in battery life.

I make it a practice to always start and warm up the engine before
sailing (no choice in our marine dock) even if sailing off a mooring
or anchor. Then I know it will be ready to go in an emergency. With
the engine as an auxiliary, it makes sense for me to swap the
redundancy of keeping a dedicated starter battery for the longer life
of smaller discharge depth.

Plus, I have a dead simple system.

--

Roger Long

Interesting batteries Gould 0738 General 51 October 18th 04 11:42 PM
Removing battery David General 0 July 31st 04 04:28 PM
Deep cycle batteries - miscellaneous advice? Ric Electronics 15 December 29th 03 10:20 AM
alternator charging to high? Richard Malcolm Electronics 8 August 20th 03 10:57 AM
Experts, please review my isolator install..... JAD Electronics 5 July 25th 03 04:20 PM