Skip Gundlach

Default Morgan 461 removals - Genset, Davits, AC, Lectra-San, Refrigeration

With apologies for being off-topic, after sending this to the Morgan list,
and then the Island Packet list, based on the responses there, it occurred
to me that there might be some here who'd like to have a shot at some of
this stuff.

So, sending it here, too:

We're doing a sizeable refit in order to change the character of our boat to
suit our expected cruising and life style. So, we've taken some perfectly
fine stuff off the boat in our change-over to 12V. All are in St.
Petersburg, where the boat's on the hard, but except for the genset (which,
I suppose, could *also* be), all could be delivered/picked up anywhere in
between there and Clayton, GA, as I'm currently still commuting and they'd
go in the van.

We took out the Genset and Davits because we'll be using an arch with
massive solar and wind power generation, and needed the space from the
genset for the 6 L16HC batteries. The arch will have davits incorporated.
The refrigeration we redid entirely, to 12V. The AC and the Lectra-San
aren't needed where we'll be going, but one each of those is already sold.

Genset is 6.5KW 3600RPM Onan electrical end driven by what we presume to be
a re-engined 2-cylinder Kubota. Based on the control panel, it's got less
than 600 hours on it. Hush box, control panel, mounting rails, motor
mounts, mounting plywood and waterlift muffler are included. If you click
the URL in the sig, you can get lots of un-altered (some are right-angle,
none have been cropped or color corrected, yet) photos of the installation
and removal as well as on the ground. From the control panel and hush box,
perhaps originally Entec? $1000

Refrigeration is Techumseh engine drive compressor to Adler-Barbour Cold
Pump engine-water-pump-cooled condenser plus a Tecumseh (presumed
Adler-Barbour) 110V air-cooled compressor/condenser which, according to the
boat records, is relatively new. Both feed two very large 26* dual-feed
cold plates. Included are the timer for the engine drive, thermostat for
the 110 unit, capillary tube and all other related tubing. With a different
solution, either of the cold plates could be a freezer plate. The 110v unit
already has the modern oil; the engine drive would need a change-out if you
were going to use 134a. $500

Davits are Simpson, and according to the rep for Simpson, are the 125KG
units which currently sell for $6k. These have the vertical mount brackets,
but the davits themselves are intended for horizontal mount. See pictures
of the boat in the sig URL for examples. I don't know how to price this, as
I think that much for a set of new davits is insane. However, these are,
indeed, top quality stainless steel davits, in excellent condition. Made
from polished 316, even the transom (vertical mount) plates are expensive -
over a grand, currently. However, if you search for Simpson and other
davits to compare, the differences are readily apparent - and I gather some
know about them and value them appropriately, as I've already had inquiries.
If you're interested in these, drop me a line and we can talk about it.
Like the rest of the boat stuff, I've got many megabytes of pictures.

AC is Technautics 16000 BTU, recently replaced, but since there was
something there before, the controls are the older, turn-knob style. The
buyer of the other unit got the water pump, and the separate
condenser/evaporator unit. This one is self-contained (single unit for both
evap/blower and condenser). Again, lots of pictures not yet put up on the
web. $500

Lectra-San is the older, timer-operated version. Salt tank included. This
one's still in the boat, not yet being able to get to that part of the boat
due to the entire galley being in the salon during the reefer/galley refit,
so I don't have the umpteen removal-process pictures available on that. The
buyer of the other AC unit also bought the other Lectra-San I had, and he
reports it works fine. (Well enough in both cases that he's put them into
the very high-end boat he's building from scratch!) $250 However, this
looks to be already sold to a Morganite. If interested, I'll put you on
backup.

Drop me a line or give me a call if any of these interest you.

L8R

Skip and Lydia, refitting as fast as we can

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig
http://tinyurl.com/384p2

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Bruce on horizon

Skip
Unload your junk on ebay...not here
Bruce

--
Shield Finishes and Nauticoat Marine Finish Systems
www.shieldfinishes.com
(net) - with apologies for the spamtrap wrote in message
[...]

Skip Gundlach

Hi, Wally, and group,

"WaIIy" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 18:52:24 -0500, "Bruce on horizon"
wrote:

Skip
Unload your junk on ebay...not here
Bruce

--
Shield Finishes and Nauticoat Marine Finish Systems
www.shieldfinishes.com

Bruce, spam your housepaints in a home improvement group.

Thanks

I thought long and hard about posting this. However, as our saga has been
relatively constant fodder for this group for a couple of years, now, I
figured most of the regulars would recognize me and the situation - and, if
not interested, skip over it.

OTOH, other (regular) folks like Glenn, who, for whatever reason, might like
to have a shot at perfectly good stuff at small fractions of new pricing,
might like to know about it. Being thoroughly overwhelmed with everyday
stuff (including the two MRIs on the day of posting, and the anticipated
additional surgeries resultant, along with trying to sell and vacate my
house while commuting to the boat 600 miles away), I didn't take the time to
try to figure out who among all the participants here might have an interest
and mail them separately.

As I'm not a marketer or reseller, and don't broadcast anything I might
have, you all have my apologies if I've misjudged the reception in your
mailbox/screen. And, should these fail to find a home among my "homeys"
they will, indeed go on eBay. Experience suggests they'd get a lot more
there - but given that I've given away virtually all of my household stuff
(it won't go on the boat!), selling only a couple of notable items, money
isn't the object - instead, it's finding a good home for stuff I don't need.
The radios *will* go to eBay, as will some other stuff, most likely, more
commonly found or minimal usage.

So, Mea Maxima Culpa for those I've offended. For Bruce, how'd your search
for multi-format refrigeration go?

L8R

Skip and Lydia, still struggling to get both feet on the boat

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig
http://tinyurl.com/384p2

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Lyn & Tony

From someone who sold all land based anchors and sailed away. Go for
it.
Been cruising for 4 years now and love it.
Those who have no time for your expectations can only throw stones.
Lyn & Tony
S/V Ambrosia

Bruce on horizon

Hi Skip
Maybe I should have been a bit more diplomatic in my post and for those of
you who are offended by my signature, I appologise in advance. Ebay is
bringing top prices for alot of the things you mentioned...seems that
everyone is rebuilding hurricane boat here in florida and driving up the
prices. I am still trying to figure out the refrigeration thing. The first
thing I will tackle is the insulation around the box and make a decision as
to vacumn insulation panels. I am still debating getting rid of my genset
and going all solar like you. Since I have a ketch, the radar arch is out
of the question so I have to look at putting solar array on top of the
cockpit roof that I intend to build( Much like yours.)
When are you shoving off?
Bruce and Elaine
www.cruisinglife.net

(this is the signature I normally send)

Skip Gundlach

Hi, Bruce, and group,

Just a quickie couple of comments, original left below for context for late
arrivals...

I don't know about the reach, but in a M462/3, a ketch would still work with
a properly designed arch (angle and depth of legs determine whether the boom
interferes). I'll send you my workup separately so you can see what mine
looks (well, will when it's finished - it hasn't even been started yet,
despite the recently-arrived steel) like.

As to the reefer, even doing it yourself, based on my experience, I'd cut it
out (or, perhaps, you've done that already), because whatever (regardless of
whether there was ever enough to begin with) insulation now present is of
minimal value (see prior posts on degradation), and start over.

Vacuum panels are certainly more space efficient, but also subject to
degradation, though over a pretty long period. I've got a source which is
less than RParts or others, the manufacturer in Ohio, kindly identified by
another of my correspondents. Vac panels are also pretty fragile, so
require some different stuff in that regard. See Glenn's postings on the
subject, as he and I were investigating at the same time, and I was able to
turn him on to the same supplier.

We didn't buy the boat with the cockpit roof, but it certainly would have
been a good place to mount solar - and the ketch mizzen is ideal for a wind
generator, if you don't mind not getting any downwind (unless it's a pretty
big mount - and, of course, you could also mount it at the top). As much as
this arch is costing, a good hardtop and mizzen would have been very handy!
Back to High Time (the roofed one), though, one of the big deals about the
hardtop was the ability to walk on it for securing the sail. Our MackPack
makes short work of that, but - in addition - you have some pretty
interesting shadowing situations which will make the solar equation more
challenging...

Unfortunately, I'm not on that side of the state, or I'd love to come see
your project. I'm sure it's a piece of art. Mine's going to be lucky if
it's a piece of kitsch - but it certainly will be functional.

And, yeah, I know eBay would produce more $ - but that's not my end
objective. If I have to, I'll do that, for the remaining stuff home and
marine of any significant value, but I'd rather find good homes for it all
within the community which has given so much to me (whichever community that
might be).

As to shoving off, my various surgical options, as yet unrecognized due to
MRIs not yet evaluated, make that very murky. The absolute best case would
be some time this mid to late summer, the more likely would be mid-fall, and
the worst case could be a year or more. Recent developments on my home sale
are a real pain in the butt, but would not affect the outcome timewise, I
don't think. As I know more, I'll post about it...

L8R

Skip and Lydia, still emptying my house :{/)

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig
http://tinyurl.com/384p2

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
"Bruce on horizon" wrote in message
news
[...]

Skip Gundlach

Davits and Lectra-San gone - thanks!

L8R

Skip and Lydia, still not finished in refit