Skip Gundlach

Hi, Bruce, and group,

Just a quickie couple of comments, original left below for context for late
arrivals...

I don't know about the reach, but in a M462/3, a ketch would still work with
a properly designed arch (angle and depth of legs determine whether the boom
interferes). I'll send you my workup separately so you can see what mine
looks (well, will when it's finished - it hasn't even been started yet,
despite the recently-arrived steel) like.

As to the reefer, even doing it yourself, based on my experience, I'd cut it
out (or, perhaps, you've done that already), because whatever (regardless of
whether there was ever enough to begin with) insulation now present is of
minimal value (see prior posts on degradation), and start over.

Vacuum panels are certainly more space efficient, but also subject to
degradation, though over a pretty long period. I've got a source which is
less than RParts or others, the manufacturer in Ohio, kindly identified by
another of my correspondents. Vac panels are also pretty fragile, so
require some different stuff in that regard. See Glenn's postings on the
subject, as he and I were investigating at the same time, and I was able to
turn him on to the same supplier.

We didn't buy the boat with the cockpit roof, but it certainly would have
been a good place to mount solar - and the ketch mizzen is ideal for a wind
generator, if you don't mind not getting any downwind (unless it's a pretty
big mount - and, of course, you could also mount it at the top). As much as
this arch is costing, a good hardtop and mizzen would have been very handy!
Back to High Time (the roofed one), though, one of the big deals about the
hardtop was the ability to walk on it for securing the sail. Our MackPack
makes short work of that, but - in addition - you have some pretty
interesting shadowing situations which will make the solar equation more
challenging...

Unfortunately, I'm not on that side of the state, or I'd love to come see
your project. I'm sure it's a piece of art. Mine's going to be lucky if
it's a piece of kitsch - but it certainly will be functional.

And, yeah, I know eBay would produce more $ - but that's not my end
objective. If I have to, I'll do that, for the remaining stuff home and
marine of any significant value, but I'd rather find good homes for it all
within the community which has given so much to me (whichever community that
might be).

As to shoving off, my various surgical options, as yet unrecognized due to
MRIs not yet evaluated, make that very murky. The absolute best case would
be some time this mid to late summer, the more likely would be mid-fall, and
the worst case could be a year or more. Recent developments on my home sale
are a real pain in the butt, but would not affect the outcome timewise, I
don't think. As I know more, I'll post about it...

L8R

Skip and Lydia, still emptying my house :{/)

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
"Bruce on horizon" wrote in message
news
Hi Skip
Maybe I should have been a bit more diplomatic in my post and for those of
you who are offended by my signature, I appologise in advance. Ebay is
bringing top prices for alot of the things you mentioned...seems that
everyone is rebuilding hurricane boat here in florida and driving up the
prices. I am still trying to figure out the refrigeration thing. The

first
thing I will tackle is the insulation around the box and make a decision

as
to vacumn insulation panels. I am still debating getting rid of my genset
and going all solar like you. Since I have a ketch, the radar arch is

out
of the question so I have to look at putting solar array on top of the
cockpit roof that I intend to build( Much like yours.)
When are you shoving off?
Bruce and Elaine
www.cruisinglife.net

(this is the signature I normally send)