Bil Hansen

"Doug Dotson" wrote ...
"Dan Best" wrote ...
You know, it's funny. This question comes up all the time on the net,

but
rarely, if ever, out here where people are actually doing it (we are

about
to leave La Paz for points south). I can't remember the last time the
guns topic came up while talking with other cruisers. The sense I get

is
that very few are actually carrying guns.
- Dan

Very few admit it. While cruising a couple of years ago, I was amazed
how many carried guns aboard. Probably better than 50% of the folks
I talked to about such things.

And those who don't admit it (to foreign govts) can get in trouble. See the
recent case in Indonesia
(http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...2/s1306001.htm):

"A Bali court has sentenced Western Australian millionaire yachtsman
Christopher Packer to three months jail for firearms offences.

"However, the 52-year-old expects to be released in the next few days as he
has already served the sentence while awaiting trial on charges of not
declaring the presence of weapons on his boat.

"Marine police stopped Packer last November as he attempted to leave
Indonesian waters on a round-the-world cruise.

"They arrested him after finding six firearms on his ship, including a
semi-automatic rifle, two pump-action shotguns and a revolver.

"On his way into court today, Packer said he was not feeling confident. But
there was good news waiting for him inside the courtroom.

"The judges found him guilty of the non-criminal offence of failing to
report the presence of firearms on his ship and sentenced him to three
months in prison, including time already served."

Cheers

Bil

prodigal1

Doug Dotson wrote:
"WaIIy" wrote in message
idiot

To borrow a comment from another thread:
It is better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all
doubt.
--Samuel Johnson.

Thank you for oping your mouth and contributing nothing.

Doug
s/v Callista

he's just mad you opened your mouth and told! Now Wally's worried the
Canadian CG is going to board and search for his .44Magnum when he goes
to Leamington this summer.
Spam Fighter

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 00:49:26 +0000, Dan Best wrote:

You know, it's funny. This question comes up all the time on the net,
but rarely, if ever, out here where people are actually doing it (we are
about to leave La Paz for points south). I can't remember the last time
the guns topic came up while talking with other cruisers. The sense I
get is that very few are actually carrying guns. - Dan

That is exactly what we wanted to write. Our review committee rejected it.
They said "FIND" some supporting data.

The questions posed in the news group post we
1. Is anyone aware of any similar studies?
2. Any thoughts on how to collect this data?

We were not conducting a survey nor were we asking anyone to participate
in a survey. Who would consider a news group survey valid?

A private email suggested we contact the customs authorities in Bermuda.
Bermuda holds weapons for you while in their country. It was suggested
they may have some data such as number of boats cleared in, number of
boats with weapons.

Bob

Doug Dotson

"Bil Hansen" wrote in message
[...]

Choosing to carry firearms in coutries where they are illagal is another
matter. Anyone that gets caught deserves what they get.

Cheers

Bil

Leanne

I don't carry a gun on me or my boat, but guns on boats

discussions
should be made with a bit of discretion.

We just went through this discussion a bit ago on alt.rv. Should
we or should we not carry firearms in our RV. I wonder how many
gun owners have killed with their weapon. It takes a lot of
nerve to actually do it. Talking is easy.

Leanne

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:24:55 -0500, "Leanne" wrote:

I wonder how many
gun owners have killed with their weapon. It takes a lot of
nerve to actually do it. Talking is easy.

Leanne

For several years, I worked where I had to carry cash to make night
deposits after closing in a bad area. I carried a gun on me. On
three occasions I had people attempt to rob me. I never found out if
I would have pulled the trigger. On all three occasions when I pulled
out the weapon the encounter ended abruptly without the gun even being
fully pointed at the robbers.

Had they been armed I would have left the gun where it was and handed
over the cash as I am not good enough for a quick draw contest with
anyone.

My point is, most of the time, presence of a gun stops most threats.
For this same reason, I keep a pump shotgun in the bedroom. Even in
the dark, bad guys know the sound of a 12 gauge being racked.

Shooting someone with it is not required in order for the gun to
prevent bad things happening. Personally, I much prefer for the kind
of outcome I had. It is much better for punks to run away than to
spend the next three days talking to the police after you legitimately
shoot them. And talking to the police for three days is much superior
to being killed myself or having my family harmed.

Weebles Wobble
(but they don't fall down)
Bruce in Alaska

In article , "Leanne"
wrote:

We just went through this discussion a bit ago on alt.rv. Should
we or should we not carry firearms in our RV. I wonder how many
gun owners have killed with their weapon. It takes a lot of
nerve to actually do it. Talking is easy.

Leanne

I NEVER travel without a firearm, period. I put up with all the tagging
and airport security BS, and follow all the Laws that are
in place, where I travel, but I ALWAYS have a firearm with me when I
travel. This is a holdout from when I traveled all year long, for my
employer in the bush of alaska. It isn't a giant problem if you keep up
on the Law where your going and what it takes to comply. It does take
extra time at security checkpoints, but if your prepared, it isn't
prohibitive. I also hold an US FFL (Federal Firearms License) and
compliance with those Laws are a whole lot harder to deal with. When I
had a boat, it had a Customs Security Safe built in to the Stateroom
that had both a Combination Lock and Customs Security Seal Hasp
Attachment, so that any Customs Official could seal the Safe, while in
Port, the same as any big ship has. Worked fine whereever I went.
Kept a semiauto rifle in 308 Nato, a Stainless 12Ga Shotgun, and my
Browning HiPower 9mm semiauto pistol in there along with all the
"required" Tax Free Booze. Canadians Customs used to pitch a fit
whenever I came thru, but since they could seal the Safe, it just caused
them to have to do a lot more "Paperwork", which they didn't like.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
Vito

"Leanne" wrote.......
.. I wonder how many
gun owners have killed with their weapon. It takes a lot of
nerve to actually do it. Talking is easy.

Depends. I knew a man who ran a gas station in D.C. He got robbed several
times. He said that once they had your money the crooks always just turned
and walked away. He could have shot any or all of them but the $50 or $100
wasn't worth the hassle. OTOH,when trespassers threatened his livestock, he
couldn't shoot them soon enough! Didn't kill any because he started
shooting too soon but it wasn't from lack of effort and he gave them some
birdshot to take home.

Jeff Morris

Bruce in Alaska wrote:
In article , "Leanne"
wrote:

We just went through this discussion a bit ago on alt.rv. Should
we or should we not carry firearms in our RV. I wonder how many
gun owners have killed with their weapon. It takes a lot of
nerve to actually do it. Talking is easy.

Leanne

I NEVER travel without a firearm, period. I put up with all the tagging
and airport security BS, and follow all the Laws that are
in place, where I travel, but I ALWAYS have a firearm with me when I
travel. This is a holdout from when I traveled all year long, for my
employer in the bush of alaska. ...

This could explain why the murder rate in Alaska is higher than in New
York City.

Bought a Reinel 26' FamilySailor ASA 290 August 11th 04 02:29 PM
"How to steal your own boats..." (Wilko Sized Trip Report) Wilko Whitewater 0 April 8th 04 07:43 PM
"How to steal your own boats..." (Wilko Sized Trip Report) Wilko General 0 April 8th 04 07:42 PM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Is sailing becoming extinct? Don White General 14 August 12th 03 12:38 AM