Hoges in WA

Default deck shoes

Mine are about six months old now but they still bite my heels and leave
blisters.

They are Sperry Topsiders.

Any tips on softening these guys up so they are easy to wear? It's getting
so I dread putting them on.

tia

Hoges in WA

Wayne.B

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:55:28 GMT, "Hoges in WA"
wrote:
Mine are about six months old now but they still bite my heels and leave
blisters.

They are Sperry Topsiders.

Any tips on softening these guys up so they are easy to wear? It's getting
so I dread putting them on.

======================================

Even among genuine topsiders there are so many models these days that
it's difficult to generalize. Some possibilities a Poor fit (no
real cure), lacing too tight (you should be able to slip them on and
off without untieing), no socks? (to wear Topsiders without socks,
both they and your feet need to be well broken in).

One old trick is to get them good and wet and then walk around in them
awhile.

Hoges in WA

wrote:
Mine are about six months old now but they still bite my heels and leave
blisters.

They are Sperry Topsiders.

Any tips on softening these guys up so they are easy to wear? It's
getting
so I dread putting them on.

======================================

Even among genuine topsiders there are so many models these days that
it's difficult to generalize. Some possibilities a Poor fit (no
real cure), lacing too tight (you should be able to slip them on and
off without untieing), no socks? (to wear Topsiders without socks,
both they and your feet need to be well broken in).

One old trick is to get them good and wet and then walk around in them
awhile.

=================

Fit's ok but maybe I've got these a little tight. I'll try the wet
treatment for a while. Thanks.
Hoges in WA

R.W. Behan

Second the motion about wetting the shoes. Years ago, as a timber cruiser
in Alaska, I broke in new "corked" boots by soaking them overnight in a pail
of water. Put 'em on with a pair of heavy wool socks and then walk around
until they're dry: Instant Breakin, and fully comfortable thereafter.

Cheers,

Dick B.

wrote:
Mine are about six months old now but they still bite my heels and leave
blisters.

They are Sperry Topsiders.

Any tips on softening these guys up so they are easy to wear? It's
getting
so I dread putting them on.

======================================

Even among genuine topsiders there are so many models these days that
it's difficult to generalize. Some possibilities a Poor fit (no
real cure), lacing too tight (you should be able to slip them on and
off without untieing), no socks? (to wear Topsiders without socks,
both they and your feet need to be well broken in).

One old trick is to get them good and wet and then walk around in them
awhile.

Cindy Ballreich

Hoges in WA wrote:
Mine are about six months old now but they still bite my heels and leave
blisters.

I had the same problem so I took mine to a shoe repair place and they
glued a very thin leather patch over the heal seams. It worked great. I
don't remember how much it cost, but it wasn't very expensive.

--
The email address above is a spam trap. Don't expect a response.
Reach me using firstname at lastname dot net

Paul Schilter

Hoges,
Try a shoe stretcher.
http://searshealthandwellness.com/pr...4&COMBINE=2289
Here's one from Sears.
Paul

Hoges in WA wrote:
Mine are about six months old now but they still bite my heels and leave
blisters.

They are Sperry Topsiders.

Any tips on softening these guys up so they are easy to wear? It's getting
so I dread putting them on.

tia

Hoges in WA

Skipper

wrote:

Mine are about six months old now but they still bite my heels and leave
blisters.

They are Sperry Topsiders.

Any tips on softening these guys up so they are easy to wear? It's getting
so I dread putting them on.

tia

Hoges in WA

I have worn Sperrys since I was 18. I worked as a log scaler until
I retired a year ago. I wore my Sperrys whenever I could at work. They
kept me safe walking on the logs. The only times I ever slipped were a
few jobs where boots were required. (The places that say "Safety
First" were always the most dangerous places to work.) There is just
no safer sole than the original Sperry sole.
I wear a size 11 1/2 in most shoes and boots. I always wear a size
12 Sperry and I buy only the original boat shoe. Other models are
usually not as comfortable. The fit is a little loose and very
comfortable. I'd just recommend a larger size; or get the original
boat shoe.
Lyn & Tony

An old Army trick. Soak the shoes or wear them in the shower and lace
up ad walk around for a few hours. Before they dry rub in a leather
conditioner like Dubbin. If the shoes still rub in a certain spot then
wet a bar of soap and rub on the offending spot on the shoes. Lace up
and walk around. Worn many pairs of Army boots and it works every time.
Tony
S/V Ambrosia

John

Do folks still wear deck shoes?

If so maybe we can get a pole going and see what people like?

I've been just using sandles, flip-flops, or brooks running shoes.
Anyone else?

wrote:

Mine are about six months old now but they still bite my heels and leave
blisters.

They are Sperry Topsiders.

Any tips on softening these guys up so they are easy to wear? It's getting
so I dread putting them on.

tia

Hoges in WA

Jim Carter

John wrote in message ...
Do folks still wear deck shoes?

I have "Timberland" deck shoes. Very comfortable. Not too expensive.

Jim Carter
"The Boat"
Bayfield