Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 19:24:56 -0500, "Doug Dotson"
dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote:

There is a tide lock at the St. Peter (SW) end. Each end of the lock
has gates facing both ways. It prevents flow in and out.

How does having this configuration have any advantage? I've never
seen a lock like this.

It is the only one I have seen. There is very little vertical
movement. The gates close in a shallow V, so the water pressure holds
them closed, whrn it pushes on the pointy side. Thus:

_________________________
_____________________

I hope this makes sense. represents a gate that opens to the left.

Its main purpose is to prevent rapid currents.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Ask not with whom the buck stops . . .
Don White

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in message
Got it! Obviously my experience with locks is limited.

Thanks!
Doug

Don't feel bad. They claim this system is unique in North America.
http://www.parkscanada.pch.gc.ca/lhn...rs/index_e.asp

Don White

"prodigal1" wrote in message
Roger Long wrote:
we can sail to
islands that consider Jacques CHIRAC of France to be their president

Considering St. Pierre and Miquelon are French islands...I guess Chirac
would be their President

Any sailors from the 'land of the free' should make sure that Jessie Helms
and his gang haven't made the French islands off limits. (aka Cuba)

rhys

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:47:09 GMT, "Don White"
wrote:

"Roger Long" wrote in message

Now, any Nova Scotia or Newfoundland cruisers in this group?

--

You might find some interesting winter reading in one of the following
guides:

My cruise experience has been limited to Halifax to St. Margaret's Bay and
Mahone Bay. Since I tend to get seasick in the heavier swells, I now have
a trailerable sailboat that I can drive distances and then launch in new
'cruising grounds'.
One area that would be perfect for me is the Bras d'Or lakes in Cape Breton,
the largest sal****er lake in the world. they assure me that tides and
swells are minimal there.

I recommend the cruising books of Silver Donald Cameron. Yes, that's
his legal name. Full of Cape Breton/Nova Scotia/Acadie sailing stuff.

R.
Armond Perretta

Roger Long wrote:
Now, any Nova Scotia or Newfoundland cruisers in this group?

I have been heading over that way since about 1989, having made about 7
cruises so far. There are quite a few very good guides to the province and
the charts are excellent. The real treat is that the people of Nova Scotia
are consistently friendly and go well out of their way to help and offer
advice.

I think that if you Google this group you'll find quite a few post listing
specific books, guides, techniques, and local places. Good luck.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Terry Spragg

Roger Long wrote:

Thanks to everyone who has offered advice on the Great Lakes and
canals. I've decided though that the boat is coming to Maine on a
truck. Family reunions, graduations, and other commitments make the
schedule very tight and complicated. A heavy rain closing the Erie
Canal for the wrong few days could destroy the summer. When I add up
fuel, airfare, boat storage, canal fees, etc., trucking suddenly doesn't
look nearly so expensive.

Trucking also means the boat can be here in Maine for nearly two
months of tinkering and going over while the kids are still in school.
We can start serious cruising without pressure in a boat I know
thoroughly and the kids have had some experience on.

This doesn't mean giving up on adventure. Some of the finest cruising
grounds in the world start at our doorstep. Just beyond them is
another country that the family has never seen. For the same time and
commitment level as getting this boat from Detroit, we can sail to
islands that consider Jacques CHIRAC of France to be their president.

Now, any Nova Scotia or Newfoundland cruisers in this group?

How about New Brunswick? The St. John river is worth a look. Then,
you could boast you did the terrifying reversing falls!

Terry K