Roger Long

Default Eastward

Thanks to everyone who has offered advice on the Great Lakes and
canals. I've decided though that the boat is coming to Maine on a
truck. Family reunions, graduations, and other commitments make the
schedule very tight and complicated. A heavy rain closing the Erie
Canal for the wrong few days could destroy the summer. When I add up
fuel, airfare, boat storage, canal fees, etc., trucking suddenly doesn't
look nearly so expensive.

Trucking also means the boat can be here in Maine for nearly two
months of tinkering and going over while the kids are still in school.
We can start serious cruising without pressure in a boat I know
thoroughly and the kids have had some experience on.

This doesn't mean giving up on adventure. Some of the finest cruising
grounds in the world start at our doorstep. Just beyond them is
another country that the family has never seen. For the same time and
commitment level as getting this boat from Detroit, we can sail to
islands that consider Jacques CHIRAC of France to be their president.

Now, any Nova Scotia or Newfoundland cruisers in this group?

--

Roger Long

Jeff Morris

Roger Long wrote:

Now, any Nova Scotia or Newfoundland cruisers in this group?

My closest cruising friends are Wintering on their boat now in Newfoundland!

Here's the pics from their last trip:
http://www.sv-loki.com/Moonshadow/moonshadow.html
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:05:30 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

[...]

We did cruise Nova Scotia about 20 years ago with a friend who had
done the Marblehead-Halifax race with another crew.

We expect to do so again this summer, and possibly visit the French
islands and Newfoundland. I haven't yet determined what, if any, visa
requirements we might face. The French web site doesn't list the US as
not needing visas, although we have never needed one to go to mainland
France by air.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Ask not with whom the buck stops . . .
Don White

"Roger Long" wrote in message
. ..

Now, any Nova Scotia or Newfoundland cruisers in this group?

--

You might find some interesting winter reading in one of the following
guides:

My cruise experience has been limited to Halifax to St. Margaret's Bay and
Mahone Bay. Since I tend to get seasick in the heavier swells, I now have
a trailerable sailboat that I can drive distances and then launch in new
'cruising grounds'.
One area that would be perfect for me is the Bras d'Or lakes in Cape Breton,
the largest sal****er lake in the world. they assure me that tides and
swells are minimal there.

Jack Dale

wrote:

Now, any Nova Scotia or Newfoundland cruisers in this group?

Try can.rec.boating

Jack

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:47:09 GMT, "Don White"
wrote:

"Roger Long" wrote in message

Now, any Nova Scotia or Newfoundland cruisers in this group?

--

You might find some interesting winter reading in one of the following
guides:
http://ca.binnacle.com/online/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=13050

My cruise experience has been limited to Halifax to St. Margaret's Bay and
Mahone Bay. Since I tend to get seasick in the heavier swells, I now have
a trailerable sailboat that I can drive distances and then launch in new
'cruising grounds'.
One area that would be perfect for me is the Bras d'Or lakes in Cape Breton,
the largest sal****er lake in the world. they assure me that tides and
swells are minimal there.

Indeed they are. The vegetation comes right to the edge of the water.
You wouldn't know you were in salt water.

There is a tide lock at the St. Peter (SW) end. Each end of the lock
has gates facing both ways. It prevents flow in and out.

At the other end the tidal currents are quite strong in the strait,
but don't matter much when you are away from the end.

While you are there, you should visit the Alexander Graham Bell Museum
in Baddeck. Don't expect a temple of gastronomy while in Baddeck. I
hope it has improved in that department in the last 20 years.

There were lots of bald eagles when we were there. Also a woodcock
came to the water's edge where we were anchored one day.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Ask not with whom the buck stops . . .
Doug Dotson

There is a tide lock at the St. Peter (SW) end. Each end of the lock
has gates facing both ways. It prevents flow in and out.

How does having this configuration have any advantage? I've never
seen a lock like this.

Doug
s/v Callista

Don White

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in message
How does having this configuration have any advantage? I've never
seen a lock like this.

Doug
s/v Callista

Half the time the water is higher on the lake side (low tide in ocean) and
then it's higher in the bay end (high tide in ocean)
see http://www.jimthompson.net/brasdor/ St. Peter's Canal

prodigal1

Roger Long wrote:
we can sail to
islands that consider Jacques CHIRAC of France to be their president

Considering St. Pierre and Miquelon are French islands...I guess Chirac
would be their President