Jack Dale wrote:
On 16 Dec 2004 08:07:22 -0800, wrote:

Bush people announce they may end GPS.

I am not sure where this is coming from. You might want to read

"U.S.
Space-Based Positioning, Navigation, and Timing Policy"

http://www.ostp.gov/html/FactSheetSP...TIONTIMING.pdf

I skimmed it. The following statement seems to indicate a contrary
direction to the one you posted.

"The United States must continue to improve and maintain the Global
Positioning System, augmentations, and backup capabilities to meet
growing national, homeland, and economic security requirements, for
civil requirements, and to meet commercial and scientific demands."

There was also a joint Russian-American release:

"Both sides reiterated their commitment to continuing these talks and
reaffirmed that the United States and the Russian Federation intend

continue to provide the GPS and GLONASS civil signals appropriate for
commercial, scientific and safety of life use on a continuous,
worldwide basis, free of direct user fees."

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2004/39748.htm

Actually thanks for the posting - it got me to search out who is
responsible for GPS.

Jack

Jack Dale
Swiftsure Sailing Academy
Director/ISPA and CYA Instructor
http://www.swiftsuresailing.com

What I read was on MSNBVC news this morning.

Have you any idea what "temporary" means in governmentees?

Amgine

Maybe this is just my own personal read, but doesn't this sound like
sabre-rattling at the EU's Magellan project more than anything else?
Especially since the initial test satellite is scheduled to be launched in
October.

And where has DGPS gone?

Amgine
SailWiki
http://wiki.saewyc.net

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:15:56 -0500, "Amgine"
wrote:

Maybe this is just my own personal read, but doesn't this sound like
sabre-rattling at the EU's Magellan project more than anything else?
Especially since the initial test satellite is scheduled to be launched in
October.

And where has DGPS gone?

Actually, Magellan is the best guarantee of GPS continuity. It keeps
political pressure on the US to keep it going, even if GLONASS fizzles
out.

Most sailors don't need DGPS with WAAS working and SA not. But, if you
have a DBR it will still do what it always did AFIK, with the same CG
beacons.

I haven't bothered to wire mine up in recent years.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC

Let's Put the XXX back in Xmas
Doug Dotson

"Amgine" wrote in message
lkaboutboats.com...
Maybe this is just my own personal read, but doesn't this sound like
sabre-rattling at the EU's Magellan project more than anything else?
Especially since the initial test satellite is scheduled to be launched in
October.

And where has DGPS gone?

It has been pretty much replaced by WAAS. I wouldn;t be surprised if they
discontinued DGPS in the near future. I still use mine but I would get a
WAAS
in a second if/when DGPS goes away.

Amgine
SailWiki
http://wiki.saewyc.net

rhys

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:50:18 -0500, Jeff Morris

Have you any idea what "temporary" means in governmentees?

Have you any idea how dependent some applications have become on GPS?

OffStar? g