Default Ending GPS?

Bush people announce they may end GPS.

Jack Dale

On 16 Dec 2004 08:07:22 -0800, wrote:

Bush people announce they may end GPS.

I am not sure where this is coming from. You might want to read "U.S.
Space-Based Positioning, Navigation, and Timing Policy"

http://www.ostp.gov/html/FactSheetSP...TIONTIMING.pdf

I skimmed it. The following statement seems to indicate a contrary
direction to the one you posted.

"The United States must continue to improve and maintain the Global
Positioning System, augmentations, and backup capabilities to meet
growing national, homeland, and economic security requirements, for
civil requirements, and to meet commercial and scientific demands."

There was also a joint Russian-American release:

"Both sides reiterated their commitment to continuing these talks and
reaffirmed that the United States and the Russian Federation intend to
continue to provide the GPS and GLONASS civil signals appropriate for
commercial, scientific and safety of life use on a continuous,
worldwide basis, free of direct user fees."

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2004/39748.htm

Actually thanks for the posting - it got me to search out who is
responsible for GPS.

Jack

Jack Dale
Swiftsure Sailing Academy
Director/ISPA and CYA Instructor
http://www.swiftsuresailing.com

Jack Dale wrote:
[...]

What I read was on MSNBVC news this morning.

Have you any idea what "temporary" means in governmentees?

Brien Alkire

They're also going to make the system more resistant to jamming.

That's a lot of lip service. Realistic methods of making it more resistant
to jamming carry astronomical price tags.

Amgine

Maybe this is just my own personal read, but doesn't this sound like
sabre-rattling at the EU's Magellan project more than anything else?
Especially since the initial test satellite is scheduled to be launched in
October.

And where has DGPS gone?

Amgine
SailWiki