Cindy Ballreich

Nowhere does it say or even imply that GPS is to be stopped as implied by
the OP. The OP should have played his hand in rec.boats where politics are
the main topic.

Hey! This was supposed to degenerate into a sextant flamewar, not a
political flamewar! Didn't you get the schedule?
;-)

--
The email address above is a spam trap. Don't expect a response.
Reach me using firstname at lastname dot net
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:15:56 -0500, "Amgine"
wrote:

Maybe this is just my own personal read, but doesn't this sound like
sabre-rattling at the EU's Magellan project more than anything else?
Especially since the initial test satellite is scheduled to be launched in
October.

And where has DGPS gone?

Actually, Magellan is the best guarantee of GPS continuity. It keeps
political pressure on the US to keep it going, even if GLONASS fizzles
out.

Most sailors don't need DGPS with WAAS working and SA not. But, if you
have a DBR it will still do what it always did AFIK, with the same CG
beacons.

I haven't bothered to wire mine up in recent years.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC

Let's Put the XXX back in Xmas
Paul Schilter

Jack,

Actually it was Al Gore.......okay, just kidding! (couldn't resist) :-)

Paul ----------actually a Democrat, who says we don't have a sense of humor
? :-)

"Jack Dale" wrote in message

snipped

Actually thanks for the posting - it got me to search out who is
responsible for GPS.

Jack

snipped

Doug Dotson

"Amgine" wrote in message
lkaboutboats.com...
Maybe this is just my own personal read, but doesn't this sound like
sabre-rattling at the EU's Magellan project more than anything else?
Especially since the initial test satellite is scheduled to be launched in
October.

And where has DGPS gone?

It has been pretty much replaced by WAAS. I wouldn;t be surprised if they
discontinued DGPS in the near future. I still use mine but I would get a
WAAS
in a second if/when DGPS goes away.

Amgine
SailWiki
http://wiki.saewyc.net

Doug Dotson

Shutting down GPS for other than brief moments would be such a
public and economic hazard, I doubt if it will ever happen unless
some large danger existed.

Doug

wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:42:29 -0500, JGS jgs123@comcast^dot^net
wrote:

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:06:43 GMT, wrote:

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:50:37 -0500, JGS jgs123@comcast^dot^net
wrote:

On 16 Dec 2004 08:07:22 -0800,
wrote:

Bush people announce they may end GPS.

Get your facts straight. Sounds like you are putting a partisan twist to
it.

He is, indeed spinning it, but then, so are you.

The USGIC is a paid lobby in Washington that is happy that it got some
of the things that it wanted included in the new policy. The USGIC,
however doesn't mention the "other" part of the policy that isn't
concerened with their narrow commercial interests.

So what is the "big downside"? I have no problems with the selected
shutting
down of GPS in localized areas in the event of a national emergency. Heck,
we grounded all commercial and private aircraft flight after 9/11. We
lived
through that.

I believe the safety of the citizens of this country takes precedence over
commercial interests or hobbies. That is what I got out of reading the
document, "while the administration realizes the economic impact of
shutting
down GPS in selected areas, the safety of the people comes first". Nothing
wrong with that.

The problem comes in because the government (notice I'm not saying
Right or Left, Democrat or Republican) has made a habit of
understating what it is actually going to do. Or, saying one thing and
then doing something quite different. They say it will only happen
under extreme circumstances in limited areas, but no one who has been
alive and paying attention for the last 40 or 50 years will believe
that whopper.

Nowhere does it say or even imply that GPS is to be stopped as implied by
the OP.

I agree that the subject line of the post was quite misleading. That
doesn't change my evaluation of the real issue one bit.

BB

Doug Dotson

Suggest you take your concerns and attitude to a different newsgroup
where fiction and conspiracy are more welcome.
It has no place here since the GPS termination is not based in fact.

wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:09:18 -0500, "Doug Dotson"
wrote:

Shutting down GPS for other than brief moments would be such a
public and economic hazard, I doubt if it will ever happen unless
some large danger existed.

Doug

Our government seems to have no compunction about declaring immediate and
grave
dangers where none exists, especially if there is money to be made for
associates.

BB

rhys

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:50:18 -0500, Jeff Morris

Have you any idea what "temporary" means in governmentees?

Have you any idea how dependent some applications have become on GPS?

OffStar? g
rhys

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:50:29 GMT, Cindy Ballreich
wrote:

Hey! This was supposed to degenerate into a sextant flamewar, not a
political flamewar! Didn't you get the schedule?

We just HAD a sextant flamewar, didn't we? I believe it can be found
just inside this cocked hat here...

R.
rhys

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:57:25 -0500, DSK wrote:

Yep. We're switching over to faith-based navigation

God Is My Co-Pilot. No, Really.