prodigal1

WaIIy wrote:
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:39:07 -0500, prodigal1 wrote:

wrote:

Bush people announce they may end GPS.

well not quite, but if you're sailing up Lake Huron in the fog, it may
mildly **** you off when gps goes down because Dubya wants to effect
another regime change somewhere

Please join Herr Krause in wrecked.boats.

Very bad karma Wally to wish things on people you wouldn't wish on
yourself. BTW, did I post something non-factual or is this is an
example of the kind of tolerance of free speech practised by some of you
Americans these days?

welcome to my bozo-bin
*plonk*
Doug Dotson

LORAN is still alive and well.

"John R. Campbell" wrote in message
On rhys wrote:
Cindy Ballreich wrote:
Hey! This was supposed to degenerate into a
sextant flamewar, not a political flamewar!
Didn't you get the schedule?

We just HAD a sextant flamewar, didn't we? I
believe it can be found just inside this
cocked hat here...

I'm not up to date... so is LORAN dead yet?

--
John R. Campbell Speaker to Machines soup at tampabay dot rr dot
com

Doug Dotson

I'm pretty sure the phase-out hasn't been started as of the end of 2004 so
I doubt if it will be completed in 2005. My friends that are using LORAN
are still happy.

Doug

"Dave" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:14:10 -0500, "Doug Dotson"
said:

LORAN is still alive and well.

Isn't the phase-out of LORAN to be completed in 2005?

prodigal1

WaIIy wrote:
On Sat, 18 Dec 2004, prodigal1 wrote:

Your original post was in very poor taste and got the retort it deserved.
Welcome to my Bozo Bin, you'll find your pal Krause in there with you.
Maybe you can hug each other.

nice try WaIIy
it must feel kind of special to be a fascist and a technowannbe all at
the same time
on the unrelated note you've introduced, do you have some desire to
watch men hugging each other you'd like to discuss with us?

for what it's worth, I hope you never end up in "wrecked.boats"
even if you are an unpleasant person
Jim Donohue

Both are Differential Global Positioning System (DGPS). There are a large
number of ways to get the correcting signals. Nothing changes the fact that
they are the same technique implemented by two different communication
paths. You can also do differential by modulation of the LORAN signal as is
done in Europe. You can also use a local reference by short wave. It is
all differential.

WAAS is a little more sophisticated but the basics are the same.

Try it this way...if the differential signal from a USCG site was forwarded
to you by a satellite...say via Iridium...would it cease to be DGPS and turn
into WAAS? No I don't think so.

I also suggest that "Me" not comment until the question is understood.
"Bzzzt Wrong Answer"

Jim Donohue
"Me" wrote in message
In article paPwd.83$iD.50@fed1read05,
"Jim Donohue" wrote:

Actually WAAS is DGPS...Jim

Bzzzt Wrong answer. Would you like to try for what is behind Door #3?

WAAS is a SAT based Service, whereas DGPS is a MF Terrestrial based
Service. Two different things that try to correct the same GPS
accuracy.

Me

Jim Richardson

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:40:03 -0500,
rhys wrote:
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:57:25 -0500, DSK wrote:

Yep. We're switching over to faith-based navigation

God Is My Co-Pilot. No, Really.

God was my co-pilot, but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat
him.

You are as I am with You.

MMC

George Carlin said it best "Only in America do people spend money they don't
have on things they don't need and pay interest".
OT, but I love that quote!
MMC
"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
I think by definition, something that carries an astronomical price tag
is not realistic

"Brien Alkire" wrote in message
They're also going to make the system more resistant to jamming.

That's a lot of lip service. Realistic methods of making it more
resistant
to jamming carry astronomical price tags.

Rodney Myrvaagnes

rhys wrote:
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:57:25 -0500, DSK wrote:

Yep. We're switching over to faith-based navigation

God Is My Co-Pilot. No, Really.

God was my co-pilot, but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat
him.

Excellent!! Thank you

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC

Let's Put the XXX back in Xmas
~^ beancounter ~^

i wouldn't be too worried doing 3 kts on a boat...now, if i was
in a plane doing 300 kts...that would be different