Country_Chiel

Default Twin Keels again

For my benefit - what are the advantages and disadvantages of a twin keeler
vs a single keel? I know the fact that you can stand them on their keels -
is this structurally safe for instance for a long period ie when
antifouling? I have heard that they heal less on the wind - is that right?
They can be slower too - maybe a good family yacht?

Thanks

Country Chiel

DSK

Country_Chiel wrote:
For my benefit - what are the advantages and disadvantages of a twin keeler
vs a single keel? I know the fact that you can stand them on their keels -
is this structurally safe for instance for a long period ie when
antifouling?

It should be, assuming the boat was decently well-built.

... I have heard that they heal less on the wind - is that right?

Don't think so. However they have the potential for greater righting
moment, if they heel far enough to lift the windward keel out of the water.

Twin keels should also resist rolling better... in theory. Due to both
better damping & wider weight distribution than a single fin keel.

They can be slower too - maybe a good family yacht?

Is "slowness" a desirable characteristic in a "family yacht?" I'm
guessing you mean a boat that is not used for racing. It seems to me
that a slow boat is less enjoyable on almost every front, and can be
harder to handle & expose one to more danger. But that's a quibble.

IMHO the twin keeler's rep for slowness is deserved... of the boats
offered with a twin keel option, I don't know of any that are as fast in
a twin keel version as single fin keel. On some the difference is not as
noticable as others. Then there are boats built only as twin keelers...
they are usually slow boats, mostly due to weight/sail area
considerations... the keel(s) is a moot point. Looking back at the
theoretical side of things, twin keelers will have less optimum flow
around the keel roots and are less efficient foils.

Everything is a trade off. There is no such thing as "the prefect boat."

Hope this helps
Doug King

Doug Dotson

It should be structurally safe to allow the boat to stand on the keels since
that is the reason for having 2 keels in the first place. Beyond that, I
don't
know of any advantage to the design. We have a couple of them in the
marina here that have been setting up on the hard for years. That might
give some insight to how they sail

Doug
s/v Callista

Twin Cruising Vang Thom Stewart ASA 0 September 8th 04 11:26 PM
Swing keels and lift keels Hoges in WA General 15 July 14th 04 11:35 AM
FS; 32ft Chris Craft w twin 225 Evinrude in New York Jamrocpal Marketplace 0 February 21st 04 06:26 PM
twin outboard charging systems query David Ward General 1 January 11th 04 01:28 AM
twin keels; any bad reports? root Cruising 6 November 6th 03 05:45 PM