engsol

Default Thru-hull removal

My boat has a really old engine sea water intake. On the water side
it looks like shower drain...you know the kind...round with lots of tiny
holes. Inside is a threaded steel pipe (yep, old boat) with a hose barb.

Nigel Calder has told me all about installing a new one, but not
a word about removing the old one. So, what do I do? A slege
hammer from the inside to drive out the old thru-hull comes to mind,
but I bet that's not the correct way.

Regards...NormB
Doug Dotson

I had a similar raw water intake. The exterior stainer was a separate piece
held over the thru-hull with three or four screws. Once that was removed
I ran a sawzall into the hole and cut the thru-hull into 4 pieces. It was
then
possible to pry/tap the pieces out.

Doug
s/v Callista

"engsol" wrote in message
My boat has a really old engine sea water intake. On the water side
it looks like shower drain...you know the kind...round with lots of tiny
holes. Inside is a threaded steel pipe (yep, old boat) with a hose barb.

Nigel Calder has told me all about installing a new one, but not
a word about removing the old one. So, what do I do? A slege
hammer from the inside to drive out the old thru-hull comes to mind,
but I bet that's not the correct way.

Regards...NormB

Rich Hampel

Take a grinder and grind off all the exposed metal. Put a wet towel
over the portion on the 'other side of the hull' that your are grinding
to keep the metal relatively cool .... so as not to overheat the
fiberglass. Stop grinding when all of the flange is 'gone' and so
you dont grind fiberglass. Then simply whack out the stub thats left.

In article , engsol
wrote:

My boat has a really old engine sea water intake. On the water side
it looks like shower drain...you know the kind...round with lots of tiny
holes. Inside is a threaded steel pipe (yep, old boat) with a hose barb.

Nigel Calder has told me all about installing a new one, but not
a word about removing the old one. So, what do I do? A slege
hammer from the inside to drive out the old thru-hull comes to mind,
but I bet that's not the correct way.

Regards...NormB

Tony Rowlands

"engsol" wrote in message
My boat has a really old engine sea water intake. On the water side
it looks like shower drain...you know the kind...round with lots of tiny
holes. Inside is a threaded steel pipe (yep, old boat) with a hose barb.

Nigel Calder has told me all about installing a new one, but not
a word about removing the old one. So, what do I do? A slege
hammer from the inside to drive out the old thru-hull comes to mind,
but I bet that's not the correct way.

Regards...NormB

Had a similar task for a number of through hulls. Just ground off the
heads and punched then through from the outside.
Regards
Tony
S/V Ambrosia
Donny

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 17:41:03 -0800, engsol
wrote:

My boat has a really old engine sea water intake. On the water side
it looks like shower drain...you know the kind...round with lots of tiny
holes. Inside is a threaded steel pipe (yep, old boat) with a hose barb.

Nigel Calder has told me all about installing a new one, but not
a word about removing the old one. So, what do I do? A slege
hammer from the inside to drive out the old thru-hull comes to mind,
but I bet that's not the correct way.

Regards...NormB

On a related subject, say you have an old through hull that you don't
need anymore, 'ducer, water pick-up, etc.

What's the best way to fill it after removal? New through hull, just
in case you need one later, or repair the solid fiberglass?

Which would be toughest/longest lasting/cheapest?

Thanks

Donny
www.picturetrail.com/sixbennetts

rhys

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 12:35:11 -0500, Donny
wrote:

Which would be toughest/longest lasting/cheapest?

The cheapest is to wait until it's hauled, coat a wooden plug in 5200,
hammer it in, and saw and sand the plug flat. That is also the ugliest
method.

The proper method is to glass over as depicted in Nigel Calder's books
or in similar boat repair guides.

I suppose it really depends what your object is: are you permanently
reducing the number of holes in your boat (in which case glass over or
weld a plate for a metal boat), or are you considering EVER using
that thru-hull hole again, in any context?

R.

Phil

I have a couple that I would like to remove also. I may replace them with a
different transducer or thru-hull later. Would anyone make a blank thru-hull
fitting? Round solid with a backing nut? That would be easy and you could
pop it out and use the hole later. Do they make such a part?

On a related subject, say you have an old through hull that you don't
need anymore, 'ducer, water pick-up, etc.

What's the best way to fill it after removal? New through hull, just
in case you need one later, or repair the solid fiberglass?

Which would be toughest/longest lasting/cheapest?

Thanks

Donny
www.picturetrail.com/sixbennetts

Doug Dotson

I've never seen one. I have one on my boat but it was fabricated by the
PO who owned a metal fabrication business. If you really think you will
want to use the same hole again, then install a regular thru-hull and put
a cap on it. Otherwise, glass it over.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Phil" wrote in message
m...
I have a couple that I would like to remove also. I may replace them with a
different transducer or thru-hull later. Would anyone make a blank
thru-hull
fitting? Round solid with a backing nut? That would be easy and you could
pop it out and use the hole later. Do they make such a part?

On a related subject, say you have an old through hull that you don't
need anymore, 'ducer, water pick-up, etc.

What's the best way to fill it after removal? New through hull, just
in case you need one later, or repair the solid fiberglass?

Which would be toughest/longest lasting/cheapest?

Thanks

Donny
www.picturetrail.com/sixbennetts

MMC

That's what I did when I hauled this boat out. Wanted to install A/C and a
sea water tap at the galley sink in the future (and not pay haul out fees
just to do this work), so I installed the thru- hulls and sea cocks and
capped them. Galley tap got installed, I've decided to "allow" who ever buys
the boat to install the A/C. The sea cocks are left closed and cycled
periodically.
"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
I've never seen one. I have one on my boat but it was fabricated by the
PO who owned a metal fabrication business. If you really think you will
want to use the same hole again, then install a regular thru-hull and put
a cap on it. Otherwise, glass it over.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Phil" wrote in message
m...
I have a couple that I would like to remove also. I may replace them with
different transducer or thru-hull later. Would anyone make a blank
thru-hull
fitting? Round solid with a backing nut? That would be easy and you could
pop it out and use the hole later. Do they make such a part?

On a related subject, say you have an old through hull that you don't
need anymore, 'ducer, water pick-up, etc.

What's the best way to fill it after removal? New through hull, just
in case you need one later, or repair the solid fiberglass?

Which would be toughest/longest lasting/cheapest?

Thanks

Donny
www.picturetrail.com/sixbennetts

Donny

Which would be toughest/longest lasting/cheapest?

The cheapest is to wait until it's hauled, coat a wooden plug in 5200,
hammer it in, and saw and sand the plug flat. That is also the ugliest
method.

The proper method is to glass over as depicted in Nigel Calder's books
or in similar boat repair guides.

I suppose it really depends what your object is: are you permanently
reducing the number of holes in your boat (in which case glass over or
weld a plate for a metal boat), or are you considering EVER using
that thru-hull hole again, in any context?

R.

I guess it would be better for me, and any other *possible* future
owners if I kept the flexibility of the through hulls, huh?

It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

Donny

www.picturetrail.com/sixbennetts

The future of yacht design - 10 myths scotched Frank ASA 0 June 28th 04 02:42 PM
letter removal from hull RB General 20 March 31st 04 07:37 AM
Hull structural grids The_navigator© ASA 14 November 13th 03 08:21 PM
Steel hull - electrical ground Simple Simon ASA 4 September 11th 03 11:57 PM
car top hull issues zak Touring 4 August 8th 03 12:09 AM