Don White

"Ryk" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 08:10:47 GMT, lupi wrote:

Canada is now gutting boaters for $150 for a "license" to have a VHF
radio on board. Nuther asshole move if you ask me. Yes, this includes
us visiting boaters, so figure another $150 for your big Canadian
adventure. That's all the news from the front. Keep trudging.

If that's true it's news to me. Canada eliminated the requirement for
a station license for a marine VHF on a pleasure boat some years ago
-- I used to pay something like $35 a year before they dropped it. I'm
sure they would have sent me an invoice based on the old list.

Radio Operators require a license, but that's a one time thing for a
marine limited license.

Ryk

When I took my Canadian Power Squadron 'Restricted radio Operators License
course in the spring of 2000, that station license fee had just been
discarded, as well as the need to have a call id.

Roy G. Biv

here is floridas operator course:

http://www.boatsafe.com/Florida/

As I understand it, its an introduction for newbees and a required
review for those ticketed in vessel operation offenses.

consider it the marine equivolent to the safe driving course one can
take to keep points off ones drivers license if one gets a vehicle
moving violation......

I am not even sure there is a charge for the card, it was created in
response to kids getting hurt on jetskis.......

"Gordon"
Washington state wants to institute a revamped law to require boating
drivers licenses. To those in states who have such laws, what are the pros
and cons of your system and does it prevent accidents etc or is it just
another red tape gizmo to collect money for the state?
Thanks in advance
Gordon

prodigal1

lupi wrote:

Canada is now gutting boaters for $150 for a "license" to have a VHF
radio on board. Nuther asshole move if you ask me. Yes, this includes
us visiting boaters, so figure another $150 for your big Canadian
adventure. That's all the news from the front. Keep trudging.

huh? This is news to me, and I live here. Sure you aren't thinking
about something else. OTOH, if it is the case and you are getting
dinged $150 when you come up here, and you don't like the rules...stay
home. No harm-no foul. I mean, I don't like your rules, you
know...fingerprinting, photos etc...so I'm not spending my disposable
income in the States anymore. No hard feelings :-)
Peter Bennett

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:01:54 -0500, Ryk
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 08:10:47 GMT, lupi wrote:

Canada is now gutting boaters for $150 for a "license" to have a VHF
radio on board. Nuther asshole move if you ask me. Yes, this includes
us visiting boaters, so figure another $150 for your big Canadian
adventure. That's all the news from the front. Keep trudging.

If that's true it's news to me. Canada eliminated the requirement for
a station license for a marine VHF on a pleasure boat some years ago
-- I used to pay something like $35 a year before they dropped it. I'm
sure they would have sent me an invoice based on the old list.

When the requirement for Canadians to have a station license was
dropped, it was stated that we had a reciprocal agreement with the US
that would permit us Canadians to travel in the US without requiring a
station license. The US has apparently cancelled that agreement, so
we now do require a station license if we plan on travelling to the
US, and Americans should also require a station license when
travelling to Canada. As long as each of us stay in our own country,
no station license is required.

Industry Canada announced last June (or so) that a station license
would be required for Canadians travelling to the US - apparently some
Canadians were arrested or detained by US authorities for not having a
license.

I haven't checked on the current fee for a Canadian station license -
it was $36 per year when last required.

US boaters visiting Canada will require a US station license for their
US vessel, which they obtain from the US FCC.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
Curtis CCR

"Michael" wrote in message ...
Not sure about in the middle of the country but I don't think due process
counts when the USCG teams or customs inspectors board.

Sure it does. They can inspect your boat without a warrant. But you
are still entitled to due process if they accuse you of anything.

"Curtis CCR" wrote in message
om...
"Gordon" wrote in message

. ..
Washington state wants to institute a revamped law to require boating
drivers licenses. To those in states who have such laws, what are the

pros
and cons of your system and does it prevent accidents etc or is it just
another red tape gizmo to collect money for the state?
Thanks in advance
Gordon

Do you have a right to go boating? If you need a license, the
government is changing it from a right to privilege. As soon as you
start licensing some activity as a privilege, a lot of due process
protections may go out the window.

Paul Schilter

Curtis,
Which means they read you your rights. Then arrest you if they find
something illegal.
Paul

"Curtis CCR" wrote in message
om...
"Michael" wrote in message
Not sure about in the middle of the country but I don't think due process
counts when the USCG teams or customs inspectors board.

Sure it does. They can inspect your boat without a warrant. But you
are still entitled to due process if they accuse you of anything.

"Curtis CCR" wrote in message
om...

. ..