Peter Bennett

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:01:54 -0500, Ryk
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 08:10:47 GMT, lupi wrote:

Canada is now gutting boaters for $150 for a "license" to have a VHF
radio on board. Nuther asshole move if you ask me. Yes, this includes
us visiting boaters, so figure another $150 for your big Canadian
adventure. That's all the news from the front. Keep trudging.

If that's true it's news to me. Canada eliminated the requirement for
a station license for a marine VHF on a pleasure boat some years ago
-- I used to pay something like $35 a year before they dropped it. I'm
sure they would have sent me an invoice based on the old list.

When the requirement for Canadians to have a station license was
dropped, it was stated that we had a reciprocal agreement with the US
that would permit us Canadians to travel in the US without requiring a
station license. The US has apparently cancelled that agreement, so
we now do require a station license if we plan on travelling to the
US, and Americans should also require a station license when
travelling to Canada. As long as each of us stay in our own country,
no station license is required.

Industry Canada announced last June (or so) that a station license
would be required for Canadians travelling to the US - apparently some
Canadians were arrested or detained by US authorities for not having a
license.

I haven't checked on the current fee for a Canadian station license -
it was $36 per year when last required.

US boaters visiting Canada will require a US station license for their
US vessel, which they obtain from the US FCC.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca