Curtis CCR

"Gordon" wrote in message . ..
Washington state wants to institute a revamped law to require boating
drivers licenses. To those in states who have such laws, what are the pros
and cons of your system and does it prevent accidents etc or is it just
another red tape gizmo to collect money for the state?
Thanks in advance
Gordon

Do you have a right to go boating? If you need a license, the
government is changing it from a right to privilege. As soon as you
start licensing some activity as a privilege, a lot of due process
protections may go out the window.
Matt Lang

"Gordon" wrote in message . ..
Washington state wants to institute a revamped law to require boating
drivers licenses. To those in states who have such laws, what are the pros
and cons of your system and does it prevent accidents etc or is it just
another red tape gizmo to collect money for the state?
Thanks in advance
Gordon

I am in canada and as some said you have to get a more or less useless
operator card for $20. Its better than nothing but not the big
breakthrough.

The goal must be to keep a certain kind of idiot of the water without
makeing other peoples hobbies difficult. Which unfortunately useually
fails as soon as politicians get their hands on it.

Matt

prodigal1

Capt. Mooron wrote:
I have no less than 6 certified advance vehicle control courses... all
stated I would get a discount on insurance premiums... I don't... I have no
tickets, no record and no accidents for over 30 years.

CM

so let's see...the politicos who dance to the beat of the insurance
companies, and the TV ads paid for by the insurance companies told you
that your insurance premiums would go down if you took a course or
three...and you believed them...

Insurance premiums...yah it's theft and it's legal
Sucks eh?
Michael

Just my opinion they should insure the driver not the car. After all the
tables are based on the drivers record are they not? Try not owning one at
all and then renting. When I do have occasion to need a vehicle my rates,
even with VISA backup are still $11 a day. With driver license insurance I
could cover any listed class of vehicle...

"prodigal1" wrote in message
Capt. Mooron wrote:
I have no less than 6 certified advance vehicle control courses... all
stated I would get a discount on insurance premiums... I don't... I have

no
tickets, no record and no accidents for over 30 years.

CM

so let's see...the politicos who dance to the beat of the insurance
companies, and the TV ads paid for by the insurance companies told you
that your insurance premiums would go down if you took a course or
three...and you believed them...

Insurance premiums...yah it's theft and it's legal
Sucks eh?

Jeff Morris

prodigal1 wrote:
Capt. Mooron wrote:

I have no less than 6 certified advance vehicle control courses... all
stated I would get a discount on insurance premiums... I don't... I
have no tickets, no record and no accidents for over 30 years.

CM

so let's see...the politicos who dance to the beat of the insurance
companies, and the TV ads paid for by the insurance companies told you
that your insurance premiums would go down if you took a course or
three...and you believed them...

Insurance premiums...yah it's theft and it's legal
Sucks eh?

I was turned down for a "course discount" because I was already getting
a "no accident" discount. Five years later I asked again and they
(Boat/US) gave me the discount, including 5 years of retroactive
discount, saying the original refusal had been a mistake!

Jeff Morris

Scott Vernon wrote:
"Jeff Morris" wrote

I was turned down for a "course discount" because I was already

getting

a "no accident" discount. Five years later I asked again and they
(Boat/US) gave me the discount, including 5 years of retroactive
discount, saying the original refusal had been a mistake!

What course?

Scotty

Actually, this was the Online Boat/US course. IIRC, it took a very
short amount of time to pass the test - maybe an hour or two - assuming
you know it all!
Ryk

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 08:10:47 GMT, lupi wrote:

Canada is now gutting boaters for $150 for a "license" to have a VHF
radio on board. Nuther asshole move if you ask me. Yes, this includes
us visiting boaters, so figure another $150 for your big Canadian
adventure. That's all the news from the front. Keep trudging.

If that's true it's news to me. Canada eliminated the requirement for
a station license for a marine VHF on a pleasure boat some years ago
-- I used to pay something like $35 a year before they dropped it. I'm
sure they would have sent me an invoice based on the old list.

Radio Operators require a license, but that's a one time thing for a
marine limited license.

Ryk

Scott Vernon

"Jeff Morris" wrote

a "no accident" discount. Five years later I asked again and they
(Boat/US) gave me the discount, including 5 years of retroactive
discount, saying the original refusal had been a mistake!

What course?

Scotty

Actually, this was the Online Boat/US course. IIRC, it took a very
short amount of time to pass the test - maybe an hour or two -

assuming
you know it all!

Is that the one where they send you a card for passing. I took the
test and passed. Have to check if I'm getting any discount.

Scotty