Courtney Thomas

Default HOW2 match winch torque with electric drill ?

I would like to try powering my main winches [Barient 28s] by a
[preferably] portable drill/impact wrench/etc., as at least an emergency
option.

Has anyone successfully done this ?

If yes, how'd you determine what you needed ? I see that there are now
numerous new portable ones that range up to 24v.

If portable ones are insufficient, how 'bout such as DeWalt and
Milwaukee 1/2" corded models ?

What has been found unsatisfactory about such an application ?

Appreciatively,
Courtney
--
s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II

Glenn Ashmore

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
I would like to try powering my main winches [Barient 28s] by a
[preferably] portable drill/impact wrench/etc., as at least an emergency
option.

Has anyone successfully done this ?

If yes, how'd you determine what you needed ? I see that there are now
numerous new portable ones that range up to 24v.

If portable ones are insufficient, how 'bout such as DeWalt and
Milwaukee 1/2" corded models ?

What has been found unsatisfactory about such an application ?

I saw an adaptor at Annapolis. It had a 5/8" hex shank on one end and a
winch star on the other. I am sure it would require a lot of torque. The
demo was being driven with a 24V low speed right angle drill. Similar to a
Hole Hawg but battery operated. It was red so I assume it was a Milwaukee.

The thing is, electric winches up to the mid 50s use a 3/4 HP motor geared
down to about 50 RPM. I don't know of a hand drill that can deliver that
much torque so you will have to do the last few turns the old fashioned
way..

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Gordon Wedman

A unit similar to what you describe is commercially available. I think its
"The Wincher". You can probably find the specs for the motor on the Net or
call them. I'm sure they would give you specs like motor HP, torque,
current draw, etc., if you make is sound like you might be interested in a
purchase (and maybe you are).

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
I would like to try powering my main winches [Barient 28s] by a
[preferably] portable drill/impact wrench/etc., as at least an emergency
option.

Has anyone successfully done this ?

If yes, how'd you determine what you needed ? I see that there are now
numerous new portable ones that range up to 24v.

If portable ones are insufficient, how 'bout such as DeWalt and Milwaukee
1/2" corded models ?

What has been found unsatisfactory about such an application ?

Appreciatively,
Courtney
--
s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II
lying Oriental, NC
WDB5619

TSailor

I use a very inexpensive 120 vac 1/2" drill motor from Harbor Freight for
going up my mast. It works like a charm. Only trick is coming up with the
bit that fits into the winch socket. Simple for any machine shop to make.

Tsailor

If portable ones are insufficient, how 'bout such as DeWalt and
Milwaukee 1/2" corded models ?

Marc

The Milwaukee 3109-24 right angle 18 volt drill delivers 600 inch lbs
of torque at the low side rpm of 350. I use this drill with a winch
head bit on the low speed side of my barient 27's to hoist a 500 sf
full batten main. Works out to approx 30 rpm at the winch at full
speed. Works like a charm. I get 4 hoists to a charge. No drawbacks
and I can decouple the tool and use it for other tasks. Buy an extra
battery and charge it off your inverter. $350.00 all up.

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:09:50 -0500, Courtney Thomas
wrote:

I would like to try powering my main winches [Barient 28s] by a
[preferably] portable drill/impact wrench/etc., as at least an emergency
option.

Has anyone successfully done this ?

If yes, how'd you determine what you needed ? I see that there are now
numerous new portable ones that range up to 24v.

If portable ones are insufficient, how 'bout such as DeWalt and
Milwaukee 1/2" corded models ?

What has been found unsatisfactory about such an application ?

Appreciatively,
Courtney

Evan Gatehouse

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message

I saw an adaptor at Annapolis. It had a 5/8" hex shank on one end and a
winch star on the other. I am sure it would require a lot of torque.

The
demo was being driven with a 24V low speed right angle drill. Similar to

Hole Hawg but battery operated. It was red so I assume it was a

Milwaukee.

The thing is, electric winches up to the mid 50s use a 3/4 HP motor geared
down to about 50 RPM. I don't know of a hand drill that can deliver that
much torque so you will have to do the last few turns the old fashioned
way..

I suspect those winch motors were turning the drum directly. The drill
motor would be using the winches gears.

A person can exert only about 50 lbs with a one handled winch handle. Maybe
a bit more if he grunts and is big. 50 lbs x 10" = 500 in.lbs

A Milwaulkee 18V cordless drill spec gives 600 in. lbs of torque. Maybe it
is enough.

You would probably want a short tether on the end of the drill to clip to
the deck and provide a reaction force (otherwise you would still have to
provide 50 lbs of force on the end of the drill to stop it spinning!) I do
recall the "Wincher" used such a strap but it was $2500 or so!

I suspect that this drill is just enough grunt for the job, but I wonder how
long the batteries would last tacking up a narrow channel? Perhaps the
corded one would be better suited?

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)

Glenn Ashmore

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
Marc,

What do you do, if anything, regarding the previously referred to
[potential] problem of....the drill's reaction force of ~50 lbs ?

Evan suggested a tether. Thoughts ?

Also, since a much less expensive AC drill can be had with similar
capabilities, why did you think the DC unit worth the difference,
especially since the batteries must be recharged anyway ?

I would definitely consider a length of cable shackled to a pad eye. When
my heavy duty drill grabs it is impossible to hold on. It could break your
arm.

The battery operated drill will be a little more mobile but mainly you don't
have a cable carrying 120VAC laying around the cockpit.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Courtney Thomas

TSailor,

If you also use the drill with the sails, what's your boat's
displacement and how big's your main sail, please ?

If you don't use it with the sails, why not ? Is it inadequate to the task ?

Appreciatively,
Courtney

TSailor wrote:

I use a very inexpensive 120 vac 1/2" drill motor from Harbor Freight for
going up my mast. It works like a charm. Only trick is coming up with the
bit that fits into the winch socket. Simple for any machine shop to make.

Tsailor

If portable ones are insufficient, how 'bout such as DeWalt and
Milwaukee 1/2" corded models ?

--
s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II
lying Oriental, NC
WDB5619

What does MIT say about ionization and lightning?? JAXAshby ASA 70 August 25th 04 09:47 PM
Cordless drill as Electric Winch Handle Todd Shuster General 11 July 1st 04 06:04 PM
Electric winch bit SAIL LOCO ASA 6 December 3rd 03 04:09 PM
The Boob's electric winch SAIL LOCO ASA 13 December 3rd 03 04:05 PM
Which lines for the electric winch? Glenn Ashmore Cruising 5 September 4th 03 06:45 AM