Don Bottomley

Default Stay-shroud tension

Does anyone have the recommended values for tensioning the stays and shrouds
of a 1992 Prout Event 34?
We're sailing her from N Carolina to FL and would like to balance the rig
correctly (9/32" wire).
You can see us at jelliclecat.com, thanks, Don & Betty Bottomley

Jeff Morris

I had the same question for my cat, a PDQ 36. The issue has been raised in the PDQ
forum and the answer alternates between "snug it up as tight as you can get without
going crazy" to "get the uppers tight, but only do the lowers 'hand tight' because the
lower stays are oversized" to "the only way to tell is take it out on a windy day and
sight the mast looking for a gentle curve. Adjust as needed and recheck frequently."

This of course left me wanting more precise numbers, so I consulted my local rigger,
and asked if he could get me a good tension gauge. He's always talking about how he
has all the racing boats "dialed in" so I expected a analytical answer. His advise:
"Screw the gauge. Tighten the uppers, snug the lowers, and sight the mast whenever
its windy."

hope this helps
--
-jeff www.sv-loki.com
"The sea was angry that day, my friend. Like an old man trying to send back soup at