Capt. Mooron

Default Rig Tension...

How would you go about determining the correct tension for shrouds and stays
on a vessel. Some how having them all the same tension just doesn't cut it.
I have the standard 1x19 strand and can't find the breaking strength. Should
my cap shrouds be tensioned more than the lower shrouds. I do have a Loo's
Tension gauge.

CM

Simple Simon

Use the meter on the uppers but not on the lowers.

To set the correct tension on the lowers, loosen them all up
so they are equally loose, say enough to wiggle them back and
forth six inches in the middle. Then sail close hauled in a light
to medium wind and adjust the lowers on the leeward side
so they are just snugged up. Then go about on the other tack
and adjust the leeward lowers on that side so they are just snugged
up. Come about again and repeat the proceedure but tighten them
each a couple of turns more. The next time you sail in heavy winds
and you notice any excess play in the lowers adjust them again.

The secret is to make them just tight enough so the leeward lowers
have no excess play when the wind is stiff. They will feel plenty
tight when the sails are off and the boat is just sitting but this is
the way they should be.

I hope this helps.

S.Simon