Doug Dotson

Some alternators have a stationary field coil excited by
residual magnetism. The one I disected must have been one
of those.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:20:23 -0400, "Doug Dotson"
wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message

... charge controller. It's just connected to the field brush terminal of
the regulator.

Alternators don't have brushes

You might be right!...... but then, how does the current get from the
rotor to the outside of the alternator??? Hmmmmm?

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/
Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.com/directions.asp Where
Southport,NC is located.
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats
Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

Doug Dotson

Isn't scanning a copyrighted book and posting it on the net
a bad thing?

Doug
s/v Callista

"Steve" wrote in message
Doug Dotson wrote:

There is a book called "The 12 Volt Doctor's Alternator Book" by
Edgar J. Beyn. It details many types of alternators and perhaps your
unit is in there. Seems like a pretty straightforward to remove an
internal regulator. It sounds like from your description, the alternator
you have does not have an internal regulator. In that case you only
need to be able to connect to the field terminal to use most
any smart regulators.

Doug
s/v Callista

I have a scanned copy of The 12 volt Doctor's Alternator Book at
http://hood.hctc.com/~esteve/private/books/Beyn-12%20Volt%20Doc's%20Alternator%20Handbook.pdf
.

BTW, I'm running Delco 100 amp alternator with the internal regulator
still wired in parrallel with my (Plath/Beyn) AutoMac II (semi)smart
charge controller. It's just connected to the field brush terminal of the
regulator. This is the way that Beyn recommended in the installation
instructions. Works great on my ~800 AH battery bank. If the alternator
runs to hot, the charge current will be reduced or if necassary it will
drop the charge back to the internal regulator.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve Daniels

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 21:24:10 -0400, something compelled Gene
Kearns , to say:

wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message

... charge controller. It's just connected to the field brush terminal of
the regulator.

Alternators don't have brushes

You might be right!...... but then, how does the current get from the
rotor to the outside of the alternator??? Hmmmmm?

I guess you could spin a permanent magnet inside of a coil, and
rectify the output.

Greg O

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

Alternators don't have brushes

You might be right!...... but then, how does the current get from the
rotor to the outside of the alternator??? Hmmmmm?

--

I have seen one alternator that was brushless. It was a large heavy duty
Delco unit. The field windings were attached to the end frame of the

Glenn Ashmore

90% of the alternators in use have brushes. You pay a LOT extra for a
brushless alternator. Electrodyne, Niehoff, Denso and Delco all make
brushless alternators but you pay a premium for them. I lucked up on a 250
amp brushless Niehoff and a normal Leece-Neville as spare.

In a brushless the stator and the field coil are both mounted in the case.
The rotor is just a piece of iron with a finger pattern. The field coil
induces a magnetic field in the rotor which generates AC current in the
Stator coil.

news

wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message

... charge controller. It's just connected to the field brush terminal

of
the regulator.

Alternators don't have brushes

You might be right!...... but then, how does the current get from the
rotor to the outside of the alternator??? Hmmmmm?

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/
Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.com/directions.asp Where
Southport,NC is located.
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats
Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

Doug Dotson

I believe the one I took apart was a Delco. It was given to me
by an alternator shop just for that purpose. It had been discarded
as unrepairable.

Doug
s/v Callista

wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message

... charge controller. It's just connected to the field brush terminal

of
the regulator.

Alternators don't have brushes

You might be right!...... but then, how does the current get from the
rotor to the outside of the alternator??? Hmmmmm?

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/
Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.com/directions.asp Where
Southport,NC is located.
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats
Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

BSCHNAUTZ

Alternators don't have brushes

LOL!

oh yes they do. tht is unless you run something like a 20,25,30,32,29,35 SI
Delco or a Niehoff, or Electrodyne, and a couple other oddball makes