JAXAshby

jim, it is you who lost the debate two days ago when you told one and all you
didn't even understand that terms, let alone the principles involved.

even when I explained the terms to you, you still couldn't keep up.

From: Jim Richardson
Date: 9/2/2004 2:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time
On 02 Sep 2004 12:17:42 GMT,
JAXAshby wrote:
and green is lollipops to a true-believer, jim.

look up the term "cognitive dissidense" (pardon the terbil spelink, but you
ain't gonna look the psychological underpinnings to your behavior anyway)

There's a trend here, When JAXAshby loses a debate on the technical
issues, he starts flinging insults.

noted.

--
Jim Richardson
http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock

Jim Richardson

On 03 Sep 2004 04:01:46 GMT,
JAXAshby wrote:
no, the chord does. which word don't you understand?

The "chord does" What JAXAshby ?

"Human beings can always be counted on to assert with vigor
their God-given right to be stupid."
-- Dean Koontz
Jim Richardson

On 03 Sep 2004 04:04:08 GMT,
JAXAshby wrote:
jim, it is you who lost the debate two days ago when you told one and all you
didn't even understand that terms, let alone the principles involved.

even when I explained the terms to you, you still couldn't keep up.

You haven't explained anything yet. But I am still hopeful.

So how is the autoprop not a feathering propellor JAXAshby?

Remember - if all you have is an axe, every problem looks like hours of fun.
Frossie
JAXAshby

jim, redefine any and all words you can to "prove" (to yourself and any
doubters out there) that your spending $2,200 for a prop to make your boat go
1/10th knot faster was one hell of a smart "investment".

the word "feathering" can not be used in the context of a corkscrew prop such
as an auto-prop. except by "investers" mentioned above.

an auto-prop is an auto-prop. the blades twist a little under high power/low
speed, twist a little differently under low power/low speed, and twist
something differently under no power/any speed. the drag on the prop is still
very high indeed (as a percentage) compared to a genuine feathering prop.
auto-props are sold (by the manufacturer at least, if not always by the dealer)
as a variable speed transmission.

keep in mind that props don't drag all that much anyway. according to the MIT
data, even a fixed 3 blade only pulled 170# on a boat at 5 knots, or about the
equivelent of 2-1/2 hp.

Jim Richardson

On 03 Sep 2004 11:57:24 GMT,
JAXAshby wrote:
jim, redefine any and all words you can to "prove" (to yourself and
any doubters out there) that your spending $2,200 for a prop to make
your boat go 1/10th knot faster was one hell of a smart "investment".

Why do you insist on claiming I bought an autoprop?

the word "feathering" can not be used in the context of a corkscrew
prop such as an auto-prop. except by "investers" mentioned above.

Then why did you post a definition of feathering, which fit the
autoprop?

an auto-prop is an auto-prop. the blades twist a little under high
power/low speed, twist a little differently under low power/low speed,
and twist something differently under no power/any speed. the drag on
the prop is still very high indeed (as a percentage) compared to a
genuine feathering prop. auto-props are sold (by the manufacturer at
least, if not always by the dealer) as a variable speed transmission.

Fact remains, the blades on the autoprop swivel to be inline with the
shaft, and present less drag than in the forward or reverse direction,
how is that not feathering?

keep in mind that props don't drag all that much anyway. according to
the MIT data, even a fixed 3 blade only pulled 170# on a boat at 5
knots, or about the equivelent of 2-1/2 hp.

Not relevent to the issue. It may mean that the autoprop wouldn't be
worth the cost, don't know, haven't bought one, don't plan to. Although
we will be replacing WindWalker's prop this next year, it's likely going
to be a fixed prop, simply because of cost. Some possibility of a
maxprop, but that's only if we think the cost is affordable.

Does Emacs have the Buddha nature? Why not? It has bloody well
everything else
Jim Richardson

On 03 Sep 2004 11:58:59 GMT,
JAXAshby wrote:
oh, jim, it has been explained in terms even a 10 year kid could
understand. get your older sister to explain it to you.

Well, I don't have an older sister JAXAshy, so perhaps you can try
again.

How is the autoprop not feathering?

The blades swivel to be inline with the axis of the shaft, and present
less drag than in the forward or reverse config. How is that not
feathering?

"We have to go forth and crush every world view that doesn't believe in
tolerance and free speech," - David Brin
JAXAshby

Why do you insist on claiming I bought an autoprop?

because no one but someone who threw $2,200 on the table for such a tiny
improvement in forward speed would write the junk you write. an auto-prop is a
variable speed transmission, not a feathering prop.
JAXAshby

Then why did you post a definition of feathering, which fit the
autoprop?

it does not fit. not even close. and if you had not blown $2,200 on a prop
hoping against hope you could make your boat *sail* faster you would know the
difference.

Did the dealer tell you you could pass Island Packets and Westsail 32 if you
bought an auto-prop?
JAXAshby

Fact remains, the blades on the autoprop swivel to be inline

a corkscrew surface can not be "inline" with anything except another corkscrew
surface