otnmbrd

Well, golly, gee, Doodles, I'm impressed. A simple direct answer to a
simple direct question.
Simply stated, for those who live in the real world of boating and
propellors, when discussing "Feathering" props with Doodles, keep in
mind that if there is any curvature or cupping to the blades, then you
will have to determine and use the "Doodles terminology" for this blade
and condition, as it does not fully meet the requirements of "Doodles
terminology" and is thus unacceptable usage.

otn

JAXAshby wrote:
of course, or very nearly so. That is what the word means. At least to the
professionals. rubber ducky sailors are a different breed, of course.

Subject: What are the pros and cons of a folding prop?
From: otnmbrd
Date: 8/31/2004 10:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time

So,Doodles, what you are saying, is that unless the blades are totally
flat, the term "feathering" can not be used?

otn

otnmbrd

G Isn't it great how easily you can look up these simple definitions,
Doodles?
Isn't it a shame that so many people allow these slight variations to
the pure and simple definitions of your life to totally corrupt the
English language?

otn

JAXAshby wrote:

let me help improve, over the knee, with your understanding of English words.

v. feath·ered, feath·er·ing, feath·ers

v. tr.
To turn (an oar blade) almost horizontal as it is carried back after each
stroke.

To alter the pitch of (a propeller) so that the chords of the blades are
parallel with the line of flight.

Jim Richardson

On 01 Sep 2004 02:03:35 GMT,
JAXAshby wrote:
the blades are curved, and rather dramatically so.

So what? feathering a prop doesn't require that there be *no* drag, it's
a way to reduce drag, not eliminate it.

The autoprop blades rotate to parallel to the axis of the shaft, how is
that not feathering?

The blades rotate until they are inline with the shaft axis, how is this
not feathering?

take a look at the blades. they rotate and thus *reduce* drag, but they
certainly don't "feather".

I have, the blades rotate to line up with the axis of the shaft, how is
that *not* feathering?

If Bill Gates had a nickel for every time Windows crashed... Oh wait, he does

Never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die.
-- Fremen Saying
Jim Richardson

On 01 Sep 2004 02:28:28 GMT,
JAXAshby wrote:
So,Doodles, what you are saying, is that unless the blades are totally
flat, the term "feathering" can not be used?

otn

let me help improve, over the knee, with your understanding of English words.

v. feath·ered, feath·er·ing, feath·ers

v. tr.
To turn (an oar blade) almost horizontal as it is carried back after each
stroke.

To alter the pitch of (a propeller) so that the chords of the blades are
parallel with the line of flight.

Well, that fits the autoprop, thanks.

It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.
-- Calvin

otnmbrd

JAXAshby wrote:
over the knee. the definition was for your ignorant sake. I knew the term
correctly a long bit ago.

G Knowing the "term" correctly, is one thing. Being able to apply the
term to various situations seems to be beyond your abilities.
I'd hate to see what you'd do if I sent you to stand by the "forward
spring".

otn