JAXAshby

Its real easy to test, as I can get my folding 3 blade to stay open. I can
see the boat speed, then have it fold and measure the speed. It is
significant. If the MIT tests say otherwise then they are not testing
reality - wanna guess what errors they made in the test or you in the
interpretation??.

sure, paul lever knows more testing props than MIT. good on ya, paul.

Paul
www.jcruiser.org
"JAXAshby" wrote in message
You will definitely will see a decent speed improvement under sail with a
folding prop

no, you won't. folding props only hve value for racing boats, where 2
seconds
a mile means the difference between 2nd place and 6th.

According to MIT tests, a folding prop means a savings of a mere 170
pounds
drag at 5 knots (or 40 pounds drag at 2-1/2 knots, or 10 pounds drag at
1-1/4
knots) over a --------- three ------------ blade prop. ***Much*** less
with
compared to a two-blade, and even less compared to a two-blade rotated
verticle
behind the keel.

Wanna guess just how much powered is required to pull 170# at 5 knots?