Sam

Default SSB reception/world radio

Can anybody recommend a small radio that would allow me to listen (no
transmit) to local SSB broadcasts without having to install a full fledged
SSB radio/tuner/stay antenna? This would be for a sailing boat. Any
suggestion on making a simple antenna? Some of the Sony World Radios claim
to be able to receive SSB. How well does it work? I am planning to use it in
Mexico to tune in to the local weather nets.

Thanks,

Sam

Glenn Ashmore

Several portable world band receivers do have an SSB switch but it takes
a lot of tinkering to tune them and sensitivity is not all that good.

Oddly, one of the BEST "portable" 12V SSB receivers I ever owned was a
Realistic DX 394. I consistantly received clear wefaxes out of New
Orleans and Portsmouth from as far away as 400 miles south east of
Bermuda and heard Herb in Toronto clearly all the way to Tortola using a
wire hung from the flag halyard. It actually out performed my current
Icom 706 Mk II.

Unfortunaltely Radio Shack discontinued them about 4 years ago but you
can still find them on ebay for about $150.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Gordon Wedman

Have a look at the reviews on www.dxing.com
The Sony ICF 2010 has always been highly recommended. You could get a used
one on eBay. Grundig, Panasonic and Sangean also made good portables.
Recently I purchased a Degen 1102 on eBay. Its not much bigger than two
packs of cigs. Seems to receive SSB pretty good. There is a Degen users
group on Yahoo and I'm sure you can also find comments if you search Google
groups.

"Sam" wrote in message
m...
Can anybody recommend a small radio that would allow me to listen (no
transmit) to local SSB broadcasts without having to install a full fledged
SSB radio/tuner/stay antenna? This would be for a sailing boat. Any
suggestion on making a simple antenna? Some of the Sony World Radios claim
to be able to receive SSB. How well does it work? I am planning to use it

in
Mexico to tune in to the local weather nets.

Thanks,

Sam

Dick

Can anybody recommend a small radio that would allow me to listen (no
transmit) to local SSB broadcasts without having to install a full fledged
SSB radio/tuner/stay antenna? This would be for a sailing boat. Any
suggestion on making a simple antenna?

On my first trip to Mexico I used a Radio Shack radio that worked but I could
not always hear. I realized later that the problem was the antenna. You will
need the best antenna you can get for whatever you get as a radio. Making a
long wire antenna is cheap but you should make it so that you can use it while
sailing. The radio reception on the west coast of Baja is not vary good even
with the best of antennas so try to get the best one you can.

Reception in the Sea of Cortez is better in most places.

Dick

Wayne.B

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 22:21:24 GMT, "Gordon Wedman"
wrote:
Have a look at the reviews on www.dxing.com
The Sony ICF 2010 has always been highly recommended. You could get a used
one on eBay. Grundig, Panasonic and Sangean also made good portables.
Recently I purchased a Degen 1102 on eBay. Its not much bigger than two
packs of cigs. Seems to receive SSB pretty good. There is a Degen users
group on Yahoo and I'm sure you can also find comments if you search Google
groups.

"Sam" wrote in message
om...
Can anybody recommend a small radio that would allow me to listen (no
transmit) to local SSB broadcasts without having to install a full fledged
SSB radio/tuner/stay antenna? This would be for a sailing boat. Any
suggestion on making a simple antenna? Some of the Sony World Radios claim
to be able to receive SSB. How well does it work? I am planning to use it

in
Mexico to tune in to the local weather nets.

I've had a Sony ICF 2010 for a long time and its a pretty good radio.

Evan Gatehouse

"Sam" wrote in message
m...
Can anybody recommend a small radio that would allow me to listen (no
transmit) to local SSB broadcasts without having to install a full fledged
SSB radio/tuner/stay antenna? This would be for a

Get a copy of "Passport to World Band Radio" - buy or from your local
library. They review all the different shortwave recievers.

I've had a Sangean ATS-803A which was OK and a Sony 7600G (or something like
that) that was a bit better. You need a long wire (a long wire hoisted up
the flag halyard and aligator clipped to the existing antenna) to get any
decent reception.

Any radio you get will need a BFO (Beat Frequency Oscillator) to receive
SSB - check before you buy.

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)f

David

"Sam" ha scritto nel messaggio
m...
Can anybody recommend a small radio that would allow me to listen (no
transmit) to local SSB broadcasts without having to install a full fledged
SSB radio/tuner/stay antenna?

CUT

Thanks,

Sam