Glenn Ashmore

Several portable world band receivers do have an SSB switch but it takes
a lot of tinkering to tune them and sensitivity is not all that good.

Oddly, one of the BEST "portable" 12V SSB receivers I ever owned was a
Realistic DX 394. I consistantly received clear wefaxes out of New
Orleans and Portsmouth from as far away as 400 miles south east of
Bermuda and heard Herb in Toronto clearly all the way to Tortola using a
wire hung from the flag halyard. It actually out performed my current
Icom 706 Mk II.

Unfortunaltely Radio Shack discontinued them about 4 years ago but you
can still find them on ebay for about $150.

Sam wrote:
Can anybody recommend a small radio that would allow me to listen (no
transmit) to local SSB broadcasts without having to install a full fledged
SSB radio/tuner/stay antenna? This would be for a sailing boat. Any
suggestion on making a simple antenna? Some of the Sony World Radios claim
to be able to receive SSB. How well does it work? I am planning to use it in
Mexico to tune in to the local weather nets.

Thanks,

Sam

--
Glenn Ashmore