Gordon Wedman

Have a look at the reviews on www.dxing.com
The Sony ICF 2010 has always been highly recommended. You could get a used
one on eBay. Grundig, Panasonic and Sangean also made good portables.
Recently I purchased a Degen 1102 on eBay. Its not much bigger than two
packs of cigs. Seems to receive SSB pretty good. There is a Degen users
group on Yahoo and I'm sure you can also find comments if you search Google
groups.

"Sam" wrote in message
m...
Can anybody recommend a small radio that would allow me to listen (no
transmit) to local SSB broadcasts without having to install a full fledged
SSB radio/tuner/stay antenna? This would be for a sailing boat. Any
suggestion on making a simple antenna? Some of the Sony World Radios claim
to be able to receive SSB. How well does it work? I am planning to use it

in
Mexico to tune in to the local weather nets.

Thanks,

Sam