captnorm

Default Looking for splicing instructions 8-plait to chain

Has anyone found good or any online instructions on such a splice?
Just bought new anchor rode of Yale 8-plait nylon Brait & need to
splice it to 5/16 chain for a Maxwell Freedom 800 windlass. I've done
3-strand splice to chain, but this line is quite different.

Thanks,
Norm Perron
Actually 101 in front of hotmail address.
MIDEMETZ

Norm,

You might take a look at:
http://www.neropes.com/splice/sp72_3...d_to_chain.htm

Mike
************************

Has anyone found good or any online instructions on such a splice?
Just bought new anchor rode of Yale 8-plait nylon Brait & need to
splice it to 5/16 chain for a Maxwell Freedom 800 windlass. I've done
3-strand splice to chain, but this line is quite different.

Thanks,
Norm Perron
Actually 101 in front of hotmail address.

Wayne.B

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 21:51:36 -0700, captnorm
wrote:

Just bought new anchor rode of Yale 8-plait nylon Brait & need to
splice it to 5/16 chain for a Maxwell Freedom 800 windlass.

Not necessarily the best choice for anchor rode in my opinion. It's
much more expensive than 3 ply nylon, has less stretch (which is
desirable for its shock absorbing qualities), and is very difficult to
splice with chain, if at all. Maybe you could return it?

Christine Sheffield

I used this splice for my anchor-plait and chain. It was relatively easy to
do, though it look a while. However, I would hesitate to use a splice
again, as it has made that part of the chain very rusty during 3 years use,
whereas there is no rust at all on the rest of the chain. I am concerned
that the rust particles may be wearing away at the fibres of the rope.
Also, the splice has tightened in use and made that part of the chain
shorter. Would it still go through a gypsy?

Incidentally, I notice that the picture on the Jimmy Green website shows all
the strands right-hand laid, although the rope is actually made of 4
right-hand (Z) and 4 left-hand (S) strands. I bet that confused some folk!

Christine

"Corvus Corax" wrote in message
Gogarty wrote:

In article ,
says...

================================================ ==

Not necessarily the best choice for anchor rode in my opinion. It's
much more expensive than 3 ply nylon, has less stretch (which is
desirable for its shock absorbing qualities), and is very difficult to
splice with chain, if at all. Maybe you could return it?

I don't see how you could splice braided rope to a chain except with an
eye splice, which won't go through the windlass. Three-strand nylon is
definitely the way to go.

It is easy to splice to chain.
See
http://www.jimmygreen.co.uk/chandler...it_splices.htm

The only tricky bit is keeping track of the lay (R or L) of the pairs of
strands and for that, colored tape on the ends is great.

Anchor Chain Report DSK Cruising 11 June 20th 10 12:05 AM
All chain rode is for old men JAXAshby General 149 February 14th 05 03:08 PM
Chain for Delta anchor PBM Cruising 2 July 28th 04 01:31 PM
Anchor chain Kangaroo Cruising 20 April 2nd 04 07:51 PM