posted to rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats

Default A tinge of sadness . . .

Sigh!

After having read Captain Skippy's recent post describing
his lack of progress getting back underway after a two-
year, forced hiatus, I felt a tinge of sadness.

I felt a little sad because Skippy's post served to remind
me that my prediction from years ago as to his being too
encumbered to be a sailor for long seems to have come true.

While I have few regrets about realistic predictions, I
do tend to feel sad when women continue to get in the way
of the life decisions of their men. Poor Skippy, he managed
to dig himself a hole so deep that he will likely never be
able to crawl out of it. His life is simply too cluttered
to ever be a sailor. What with all the unnecessary
encumbrances he's crammed into his yacht, combined with
all the encumbrances his first mate foists off onto him,
poor Skippy has no chance of ever being anything more than
a boat and systems repairman as well as a Honey-do list
slave. One wonders how a woman can claim to love her mate
on the one hand yet hinder his happiness by enslaving
him into being some kind of lubberly house husband and
mother-in-law nursemaid.

So much baggage for one man to carry. It's simply not
possible for anybody but an Atlas type to heft it. It's
sad because even the few hours of sailing time in a year
Captain Skippy manages to put in are filled with thoughts
of his myriad, non-sailing obligations. This sort of thing
generally leads to high stress levels and an eventual
heart attack or nervous breakdown. Either is a sad end
to a man who could have been an inspired and inspiring
sailor had he only been able to leave all the unnecessary
baggage ashore where it belongs.

--
Sir Gregory

On Monday, November 10, 2014 3:03:11 PM UTC-5, Sir Gregory Hall, Esq. wrote:
[...]

Are you sad because he has a life?

On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 05:44:19 -0800 (PST), Martin
wrote:

Are you sad because he has a life?

What you lubbers choose to call a *life* is little
more than an illusion. You lubbers end up being slaves
to what your society calls the *norm*. What you really
are is a bunch of automatons who proceed through life
pretty much in lock step with all the other marching
drones. What you call a life, we real sailors call
unnecessary clutter which is the result of conspicuous
consumerism. Your life is a sham, a construct that
benefits those who control you the most and you the
least.

So, don't presume to judge a free man on the basis
of your slavery.

--
Sir Gregory

wrote:

Are you sad because he has a life?

What you lubbers choose to call a *life* is little
more than an illusion. You lubbers end up being slaves
to what your society calls the *norm*. What you really
are is a bunch of automatons who proceed through life
pretty much in lock step with all the other marching
drones. What you call a life, we real sailors call
unnecessary clutter which is the result of conspicuous
consumerism. Your life is a sham, a construct that
benefits those who control you the most and you the
least.

So, don't presume to judge a free man on the basis
of your slavery.

And this is from an individual who apparently lives life by proxy.

Who posts to the Internet under false name, multitudes of false names,
and since his many aliases are well known, a utterly fake facade. One
can only marvel at the mentality that hides behind a fake false front.

A partial list includes: Wilbur Hubbard/Gregory Hall/Gwen Ives/Cecil
Warren/Capt.Neal/Simple Simon/Ellen MacArthur/Ed
Gordon873/Gloria/Wesley Mouch/Aratzio/Atlas Bugged/Jamie
Baille/Lumpy/Karen Anderson/GitRDunn/Phat_Arse/Jeff Relf/Blondie/Capt.
Moroon/Capt. America/Cap'n Crunch/Marcia/Lawrence Stone/Key
WestWym/Capt. Key West/Lonnie Anderson/Margaret/Jax Ashby.

His boating experience seems limited to reading about others who
actually participate in the activity and then disparaging their
experiences. Exactly as described in Aesop's fable about the fox and
the grapes.

In short, an individual who's entire life has been a meaningless and
vicarious experience.

One who, if his actions were not so obnoxious, would elect
considerable sympathy from others for his impoverished and empty life.
--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok

wrote:

Are you sad because he has a life?

What you lubbers choose to call a *life* is little
more than an illusion. You lubbers end up being slaves
to what your society calls the *norm*. What you really
are is a bunch of automatons who proceed through life
pretty much in lock step with all the other marching
drones. What you call a life, we real sailors call
unnecessary clutter which is the result of conspicuous
consumerism. Your life is a sham, a construct that
benefits those who control you the most and you the
least.

So, don't presume to judge a free man on the basis
of your slavery.

--
Sir Gregory

I live aboard year and sail 24/7 (season permitting) with the exception of winters when I still live on my boat but can't sail. It's not fun sailing the North Atlantic in the winters. So don't judge.

wrote:

Are you sad because he has a life?

What you lubbers choose to call a *life* is little
more than an illusion. You lubbers end up being slaves
to what your society calls the *norm*. What you really
are is a bunch of automatons who proceed through life
pretty much in lock step with all the other marching
drones. What you call a life, we real sailors call
unnecessary clutter which is the result of conspicuous
consumerism. Your life is a sham, a construct that
benefits those who control you the most and you the
least.

So, don't presume to judge a free man on the basis
of your slavery.

I live aboard year and sail 24/7 (season permitting)
with the exception of winters when I still live on
my boat but can't sail. It's not fun sailing the
North Atlantic in the winters. So don't judge.

Good for you but I shall judge anyhow. Why not
sail to milder climes where winters ARE pleasant?

One of the best things about a well-found sailing
vessel is it has the capability to go anywhere the
sailor wishes to go.

If you wish to remain in an area of the world where
the winters are no fun then it might be concluded
that you aren't much of a sailor.

--
Sir Gregory

wrote:

[...]

It might even *elicit* considerable sympathy!

And, that would be "whose entire life . . ."

C'mon, Bruce, put down the Thai sticks.

--
Sir Gregory

"Sir Gregory Hall, Esq." wrote in message

After having read Captain Skippy's recent post describing
his lack of progress getting back underway after a two-
year, forced hiatus, I felt a tinge of sadness.

Google schadenfreude.

Tom

posted to rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats

On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 09:21:20 -0800, "tdacon"
wrote:

"Sir Gregory Hall, Esq." wrote in message
.. .

After having read Captain Skippy's recent post describing
his lack of progress getting back underway after a two-
year, forced hiatus, I felt a tinge of sadness.

Google schadenfreude.

Smart Ass!

The Beauty and Sadness of ASA Capt. Rob ASA 2 July 12th 07 01:33 PM
Sienna Sadness Capt. Rob ASA 3 July 30th 06 01:20 PM
More sadness for US families John H. General 1 December 2nd 05 06:49 PM