Default Update Frigoboat - The Smoking Gun (or compressor)

On Sat, 05 Jul 2014 21:29:43 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 08:21:13 +0700, wrote:

Years ago now a guy worked for us doing oil well exploration
construction work came in the office and asked whether they still sold
"kerosene refrigerates" in Indonesia. I didn't know and sent one of
the purchasing guys out to check and discovered that they were still
being manufactured in Indonesia. Over the years we bought quite a few
for jungle jobs".

===

It seems like that would be ideal for a diesel powered boat. A lot
of cruising sail boats seem to have inadequate diesel tankage however
judging from the number of plastic jerry jugs that we see strapped to
the lifelines.

LOL! That really causes me a great deal of disgust seeing those rows
of faded plastic jerry jugs strapped to a fore and aft board that is
attached to lifeline stanchions along the side decks to the foredeck.

It's got to be the stupidest *monkey see, monkey do* bad habit yet.
It's ugly, dangerous, inefficient, lubberly, wasteful but mostly
it is totally unnecessary. It shouts loudly for the entire world
to see, "Hey look at meeee-I'm stupid and faddish."

1) if one's wont is to sail across oceans then even those extra
containers will not avail.

2) if one is coastal cruising or island hopping then internal
tankage is sufficient for the job at hand.

3) if, for some odd reason, one needs more fuel capacity due
to special circumstances then install sufficient internal
tankage.

It's that simple.

--
Sir Gregory

wrote:

[...]

Certainly you are correct. although I wonder what you'd do for a say 6
month trip to the Chagos islands, in the Indian ocean, where there
isn't anything at all. No nothing, except sand, coral and sea water.

And illogical as it may seem I know people who have been spending
about six months in Chagos and 6 months in Malaysia for years.
--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok

Default Frigoboat - The Smoking Gun (or compressor)

On Friday, November 8, 2013 at 1:27:20 PM UTC-8, Flying Pig wrote:
" Sir Gregory Hall, Esq�" �ke wrote in message
"Flying Pig" wrote in message
I'm leaving out the various conversations from contributors just to not
get in a ****ing match :{))

Richard Kollmann, a reasonably respected marine refrigeration guy, has
been playing this tune for quite a while.

The overheat function is supposed to be in the controller which, if IT'S
cool enough, won't do anything. If the outgoing gas (with minute traces
of oil in it, of course) gets hot enough (as apparently it did, based on
my having to replace an o-ring on the high pressure connector), it
doesn't have to be in the compressor to change state, either. So, unless
whomever your builder is had put in a sensor IN/ON the compressor, an
overheat might well be missed.

Well, that sure is a defective engineering design. It's a simple
matter to place a thermostat in or on the condenser which, when
it reaches a preset critical temperature, switches the unit off.

An overheat failsafe that's elsewhere is African engineering at best.

Frigoboat should be ashamed of such an inferior design.

--
Sir Gregory

Kollmann has several areas of design complaint about the Frigoboat system....

L8R

Skip

--

Kollmann has several areas where he doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. He has books full of mis-information and half-truths. Take what he says with a lot of salt....

MMCBRIDDE said:

"Kollmann has several areas where he doesn't know his ass from a hole in the
ground. He has books full of mis-information and half-truths. Take what he
says with a lot of salt...."

Thanks for the heads up. I see you sell many brands of systems; apparently
you have followed my saga of the Frigoboat failure, as well.

So, would you mind illustrating where it is that RK was wrong, or
misinforming, in my case?

Or was this a general warning for the remaining 3 people who read this
newsgroup (Neal harassers excepted)?

FWIW, I'm finally coming to terms with the voracious appetite for electrons
in the new SeaFrost air and water cooled system (which works perfectly - but
with air and water near 80, averages 7A - that is over extended periods -
e.g. 8 hours, 56AH consumption). The colder it gets, the better (less
average amps) that number is.

It's a dream to defrost by comparison to my SS-fronted,
largest-evaporator-plate-Frigoboat-offers previous - but uses something on
the order of 50-100% more electrons, particularly since the compressor is in
the engine room; with a keel cooler, it's of no consequence; with air (never
run the engine, and have it never above 70, it does well) and water needed
to cool the SeaFrost, not so much...

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not
fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson

Compressor Revisited basskisser General 16 July 1st 06 01:15 AM
Compressor Revisited Jim General 3 June 28th 06 08:35 PM
Air Compressor For Dockside Work BajaJim Boat Building 17 April 29th 06 12:03 PM
Air compressor for hull cleaning BajaJim Cruising 49 April 28th 06 04:54 PM
Need help with Aqua Bell Compressor lucie General 2 January 24th 04 02:47 AM