Default How about a blister report, Capt. Skippy?

I recall predicting the "Flying Pig" might go as much as
six months without new blisters rearing their ugly convexities
because you didn't do an adequate job drying out the bottom
preferring to believe some nonsense about a daily spraying with
fresh water doing the job adequately.

It's been what? About six months since you returned to the
water? Have you snorkeled down and scrubbed the slime off
the bottom and examined it for new blisters?

Let me guess, you found several but they aren't very large
yet with emphasis on the word yet.

--
Sir Gregory

I recall predicting the "Flying Pig" might go as much as
six months without new blisters rearing their ugly convexities
because you didn't do an adequate job drying out the bottom
preferring to believe some nonsense about a daily spraying with
fresh water doing the job adequately.

It's been what? About six months since you returned to the
water? Have you snorkeled down and scrubbed the slime off
the bottom and examined it for new blisters?

Let me guess, you found several but they aren't very large
yet with emphasis on the word yet.

--
Sir Gregory

It's been nine months today. (Splashed 1-26-13)

No blisters, and the barnacles brushed right off.

LOTS more to come; the last one only got us into FL/GA, and the pattern
continues.

Currently enjoying St. Augustine, walking a couple miles a day, with family
coming next weekend.

Keep the faith; I just haven't taken the time to write...

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson
On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 20:46:18 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

Currently enjoying St. Augustine, walking a couple miles a day, with family
coming next weekend.

Keep the faith; I just haven't taken the time to write...

===

It's getting cold in south Florida, the Bahamas are calling...

On 10/26/2013 6:46 PM, Flying Pig wrote:
It's been nine months today. (Splashed 1-26-13)

No blisters, and the barnacles brushed right off.

LOTS more to come; the last one only got us into FL/GA, and the pattern
continues.

Currently enjoying St. Augustine, walking a couple miles a day, with family
coming next weekend.

Keep the faith; I just haven't taken the time to write...

L8R

Skip

Check out the Lightner Museum. We enjoyed that quite a bit. Much to see.

-paul

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 17:33:28 -0400, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote this crap:

I recall predicting the "Flying Pig" might go as much as
six months without new blisters rearing their ugly convexities
because you didn't do an adequate job drying out the bottom
preferring to believe some nonsense about a daily spraying with
fresh water doing the job adequately.

I can assure you that fresh water has nothing to do with blisters. My
boat sits in fresh water every day and still gets blisters.

Skippy believed the crap about in lieu of storing his blistered hull
in a low humidity environment for a couple or three years so as
to thoroughly dry out the laminate before coating it with a barrier
coat that spraying it via a garden hose with tap water every couple
of days for a month or so would somehow result in the laminate
being completely dried out. I told him it wasn't gonna work and the
idiot who advocated it was just that - an idiot.

You should sell your boat and buy one that doesn't get blisters.

It is the rare freshwater boat that gets blisters because osmosis
generally doesn't take place when there's a membrane (hull layup)
with fresh water on both sides of the membrane.

It is the sal****er boats that have lots of humidity in the laminate
and fresh water in the bilge from rain, etc. that get blisters.

--
Sir Gregory

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

===

It's getting cold in south Florida, the Bahamas are calling...

They keep getting a wrong number - though we're working on it.

New reefer in sometime in the next week (maybe by Friday PM), boom repair
right afterwards, thence to Stuart for the engine.

Once those are finished, it's piddly stuff not showstoppers.

"slide" wrote in message
Check out the Lightner Museum. We enjoyed that quite a bit. Much to see.

-paul

We're enjoying St. Augustine as long as we're stuck here. Family coming
this weekend, but small kids so not likely Lightner time, but we'll do the
fort and several other attractions before we leave here.

Great walking to keep the pounds down, including 5 miles (RT) tomorrow for
my teeth cleaning, tonight about 2 to mail off the significant refrigeration
failure item to Dick Kollmann for dissection, and so on.

As long as we're stuck here, we're making the most of it.

L8R

Skip

--

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Greg/Neal/Wilbur, your spewing left below for reference:

Are you suggesting that you have water in your bilge, from the rain?

We get a few drips from the packing glands, and NOTHING inside the boat from
green water or rain...

No blisters, either...

L8R

Skip and Lydia, who MAY get to your neighborhood in the continued shakedown;
looking forward to the beer...

[...]

On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 15:18:38 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

significant refrigeration
failure item to Dick Kollmann for dissection, and so on.

===

I once talked to Dick K regarding some refrigeration advice for our
trawler. I was contemplating the installation of two Adler-Barbour
Cold Machines, one for each of our built in fridges. He didn't think
the A-Bs would be suitable for tropical cruising but three years in
Florida later, including two 6 month cruises to the Carib, they are
still working fine. I believe they use Danfoss BD-50 compressors.
Both units were self installed and I carry everything I need to
service them in case we get stuck somewhere. Having two independant
units gives us a fair amount of redundancy however.

"Flying Pig" wrote in message

We're enjoying St. Augustine as long as we're stuck here. Family coming
this weekend, but small kids so not likely Lightner time, but we'll do the
fort and several other attractions before we leave here.

Great walking to keep the pounds down, including 5 miles (RT) tomorrow for
my teeth cleaning, tonight about 2 to mail off the significant refrigeration
failure item to Dick Kollmann for dissection, and so on.

As long as we're stuck here, we're making the most of it.

It's called rationalizing having become a confirmed lubber!

wrote:

significant refrigeration
failure item to Dick Kollmann for dissection, and so on.

===

I once talked to Dick K regarding some refrigeration advice for our
trawler. I was contemplating the installation of two Adler-Barbour
Cold Machines, one for each of our built in fridges. He didn't think
the A-Bs would be suitable for tropical cruising but three years in
Florida later, including two 6 month cruises to the Carib, they are
still working fine. I believe they use Danfoss BD-50 compressors.
Both units were self installed and I carry everything I need to
service them in case we get stuck somewhere. Having two independant
units gives us a fair amount of redundancy however.

Those are good units. Even the air-cooled version works well in the
tropics. The key to success seems to be placing the compressor
in a spot that doesn't get hot (don't put it near the engine space)
and can be set up so the cooler air goes in through the little
radiator and the hot air blows out elsewhere.

My Adler Barbour started acting up (cycling off and on with the
compressor running for five to ten seconds to a minute and then
cycling off (as evidenced by the amp draw - the fan kept going).

Turns out there are about six spade connectors going into the
control panel. Some of these had gradually loosened up and were
making poor connections. I pulled them loose (the female side is
on the wire, crimped the female side tighter, applied some dielectric
paste and slid them home. It's worked flawlessly since.

I've experimented with the amount of R-134a and found that a suction
pressure of 7-9 psi results in the best refrigeration vs. amp draw. I've
fitted the suction side with a NAPA injection port for auto A/C that fits
the standard can of R-134a injection hardware and gauges.

--
Sir Gregory