Default Round the world

"Bruce in bangkok" wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 17:47:27 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:
On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 08:31:28 +0700, Bruce in bangkok
wrote:

How would you know? Someone told you, or you read it in a book?

You certainly aren't speaking from experience as the longest voyage
you have made was your celebrated cruise down the bay to anchor off a
mud flat to avoid the sounds of a band playing.

Good one there, Bruce.

I really wish Neal would post a cruising log, as I'm sure it would be
i nteresting.

But I'm not holding my breath.

I should hope you're not :-)

Vic posted that he doesn't even have a boat. So, one wonders what
makes Vic think he's qualified to impugn my character and credentials?

Why, at least you own a sailboat, even though all it does is act as a
place keeper at some decrepit dock in a third-world backwater where
you ended up after having failed at your circumnavigation attempt.

Neither of you have the standing to criticize the merits of one who lives
aboard and has lived aboard for nigh on 27 years now and who
continues to cruise from time to time?

--
Sir Gregory

"Bruce in bangkok" wrote in
message ...

I'm a big fan of redundancy in all things.

Indeed! That's probably the reason you have two boats
that never go anywhere? You are a fan of taking up two
slips with unused toys?

--
Sir Gregory

wrote:

[...]

I assume that you firmly believe that someone who lives in a house
trailer is an expert on road building and highways, or even more
unlikely, that someone who lives in a house built on the earth
becomes, by osmoses a qualified earth scientist.
--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok

On Wed, 18 Sep 2013 12:26:17 -0400, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

"Bruce in bangkok" wrote in
message ...

I'm a big fan of redundancy in all things.

Indeed! That's probably the reason you have two boats
that never go anywhere? You are a fan of taking up two
slips with unused toys?

Along with your misconception that living in a boat makes one a
qualified cruising sailor you have a difficulty in understanding what
you read.

I didn't write "I'm a big fan of redundancy in all things". I believe
that was a guy out cruising around the Caribbean on a power boat with
two engines.

I am assuming that you do know what the "Caribbean" is, but to avoid
any more of your misconceptions here is the definition I found in a
book: "an arm of the Atlantic Ocean between North and South America;
the origin of the Gulf stream; region including the Caribbean Islands"

--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok

Hi Bruce,
I have just come back to this group.

Nice to see that you are still around.

I've been refurbishing my now 20 year old boat here in Sydney following my curcumnavigation and am about to leave again heaing back to Malaysia via the Philippines this time.

Ciao,
Peter Hendra
N.Z. Yacht Herodotus

No Bruce, from New Zealand, through South East Asia, the Red Sea, Med, Caribbean and Pacific.

I am now heading back home to Malaysia and then hopefully up to Japan to meet up there with another solo sailor friend (Jack Curley on Kulkuri) who is in the San Bas Islands of Panama at the moment. I'm looking forward to not having to do the, every few weeks, 8 - 9 hour flight from Sydney to Kuala Lumpur any more.

I have been been working for a couple of years, getting my son into university, getting a divorce (wonderful institution sometimes though painful) and in refurbishing this boat and its gear. All provisions are aboard with cans labelled and vanished etc. I am now almost ready to depart again. Just need to complete a few finishing details and gather the courage to head back out into the open sea. It's always a bit scarey and daunting if you've been at anchor for a while. It would be nicer with a compatible friend but unfortunately all friends have jobs or commitments and my Malaysian friends' kids and nephews, who've spent their school holidays with me on the boat in Sydney and who would love to sail with me, have school. Perhaps when I get to Manila, Palawan or Sabah, I can have the kids for the school holidays. It would be nice to sleep for more than 20 minutes at a time and having great company will be a big plus.

Did you sell the yacht you were working on ( in Phuket if I remember correctly)?

Ciao
Peter
N.Z. Yacht Herodotus

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 03:27:49 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

No Bruce, from New Zealand, through South East Asia, the Red Sea, Med, Caribbean and Pacific.

I am now heading back home to Malaysia and then hopefully up to Japan

to meet up there with another solo sailor friend (Jack Curley on
Kulkuri) who is in the San Bas Islands of Panama at the moment. I'm
looking forward to not having to do the, every few weeks, 8 - 9 hour
flight from Sydney to Kuala Lumpur any more.

8 hours is astonishingly rapid if the alternate is 2 weeks on a small
boat :-)

[...]

Yup. I finally faced the reality that I wasn't going to make any more
long cruises and sold the sailboat. Interestingly, I got about the
same number of US dollars as I had paid Singapore dollars for the boat
12 years before.

--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok

"Bruce in bangkok" wrote in message
news

Yup. I finally faced the reality that I wasn't going to make any more
long cruises and sold the sailboat. Interestingly, I got about the
same number of US dollars as I had paid Singapore dollars for the
boat 12 years before.

So Bruce finally admits he's a has-been wannabe. ROFLOL!

--
Sir Gregory

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 11:44:59 -0400, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

"Bruce in bangkok" wrote in message
news

Yup. I finally faced the reality that I wasn't going to make any more
long cruises and sold the sailboat. Interestingly, I got about the
same number of US dollars as I had paid Singapore dollars for the
boat 12 years before.

So Bruce finally admits he's a has-been wannabe. ROFLOL!

No Capt.Neil, as I once told you; "I'm here and you are there", so who
is the wannabe? The bloke who went or the bloke that sat at home
reading about it?

Face reality. You know that you don't sail. We know that you don't
sail. Why do you continue to attempt the facade of being a sailor?

The alternate, by the way, is quite simple. Just haul up the anchor
and go.
--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok

Round the world Bruce[_3_] Cruising 54 October 23rd 12 02:43 PM
7 y/o to attempt world's youngest round-the-world sailing record Frank D'Arcy General 1 June 19th 10 08:32 PM
shot heard round the world Jim General 12 January 19th 10 05:39 PM
half-way round the world in a kayak Michael Zefas Touring 9 February 12th 04 11:50 PM
round the world yaucht race JOHN THOMSON UK Paddle 0 January 11th 04 05:08 PM