Michael Zefas

Default half-way round the world in a kayak

Hello,

I'm considering the possibility of buying a large kayak in the Med., putting
some stuff in it and going half-way around the world in it.

Will it make it? Are there any modfications I can make to it which will
make it more resistant to the weather?

Every night, I'll pull it onto shore (I'll be able to lift it) and camp out
on the beach or wherever I stop.

The only thing I'm worried about is the weather, flipping over and sinking.

Can anyone enlighten me on this idea? Personal experiences would be helpful

Thanks,
Victor

Steve Cramer

Michael Zefas wrote:
Hello,

I'm considering the possibility of buying a large kayak in the Med., putting
some stuff in it and going half-way around the world in it.

Will it make it? Are there any modfications I can make to it which will
make it more resistant to the weather?

Every night, I'll pull it onto shore (I'll be able to lift it) and camp out
on the beach or wherever I stop.

The only thing I'm worried about is the weather, flipping over and sinking.

Can anyone enlighten me on this idea? Personal experiences would be helpful

You may be thinking a little small. Verlen Kruger did 28,043 miles in a
canoe between April 29, 1980 to December 15, 1983. That's the equivalent
of around the world once and a bit.

But I'm curious about where this cockamamie idea came from. From the
questions you ask and your concerns it's obvious that you've never been
in a kayak. Don't you think it might be a good idea to get one and put
some miles on it--say 10 a day for a couple of months and see if you
really like it--before you talk about a 12,000 miler?

You might want to read books by and about people who have done long
distance paddles, like Gilette, Duff, Caffyn, Lindeman, etc.

At least you'll create a dynamite website to chronicle the trip, right?
Good luck.

--
Steve Cramer
Athens, GA
steveJ

The only thing I'm worried about is the weather, flipping over and sinking.

Sharks, snakes, skunks, bees, rats, bears, mosquitos, flies, sunburn,
dehydration, starvation, disease, illness, fungus, infection,
loneliness, monotony, drinking water, collisions, theft, bleeding to
death, murder, boredom, dimentia, repetitive stress injury, hypothermia,
getting lost, legal problems, lack of money, and all you are worried
about is the weather and flipping over and sinking?
1. learn to do the eskimo roll in case you capsize.
2. Build your boat from wood so it doesn't sink.
You'll do fine.

Michael Zefas wrote:
Hello,

I'm considering the possibility of buying a large kayak in the Med., putting
some stuff in it and going half-way around the world in it.

Will it make it? Are there any modfications I can make to it which will
make it more resistant to the weather?

Every night, I'll pull it onto shore (I'll be able to lift it) and camp out
on the beach or wherever I stop.

The only thing I'm worried about is the weather, flipping over and sinking.

Can anyone enlighten me on this idea? Personal experiences would be helpful

Thanks,
Victor

Treemoss2

I'm considering the possibility

Yeah, yeah, blah,blah, yada,yada.

lcopps

Consider an open cockpit model so you can sleep it it. Read "Alone at
Sea" by Dr. Hannes Lindemann before you get serious. Peter at Klepper
West can get you a copy.

Michael Zefas wrote:
Hello,

I'm considering the possibility of buying a large kayak in the Med., putting
some stuff in it and going half-way around the world in it.

Will it make it? Are there any modfications I can make to it which will
make it more resistant to the weather?

Every night, I'll pull it onto shore (I'll be able to lift it) and camp out
on the beach or wherever I stop.

The only thing I'm worried about is the weather, flipping over and sinking.

Can anyone enlighten me on this idea? Personal experiences would be helpful

Thanks,
Victor

John

"Michael Zefas" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm considering the possibility of buying a large kayak in the Med.,

putting
some stuff in it and going half-way around the world in it.

Will it make it? Are there any modfications I can make to it which will
make it more resistant to the weather?

Every night, I'll pull it onto shore (I'll be able to lift it) and camp

out
on the beach or wherever I stop.

The only thing I'm worried about is the weather, flipping over and

sinking.

Can anyone enlighten me on this idea? Personal experiences would be

helpful

Thanks,
Victor

1. Get an Emergency Personal Locator Beacon
2. GEt a life insurance policy
3. Pre-arrange the funeral ?
4. Buy the kayak
5. paddle around the world

Lets feed the troll.......

Wanderer Hiker

"Michael Zefas" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm considering the possibility of buying a large kayak in the Med.,

putting
some stuff in it and going half-way around the world in it.

Will it make it? Are there any modfications I can make to it which will
make it more resistant to the weather?

Every night, I'll pull it onto shore (I'll be able to lift it) and camp

out
on the beach or wherever I stop.

The only thing I'm worried about is the weather, flipping over and

sinking.

Can anyone enlighten me on this idea? Personal experiences would be

helpful

Thanks,
Victor

GO FOR IT!
We need another stupid person tragedy story.

Fred Klingener

"back40" wrote in message
On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 18:29:21 -0800, "Michael Zefas"
wrote:

Hello,

I'm considering the possibility of buying a large kayak in the Med.,

putting
some stuff in it and going half-way around the world in it.

Personal experiences would be helpful

Check your library for "Moby Dick", "Forty Years Before the Mast",
Joshua Slocum's "Sailing Alone around the World",and "Robinson
Crusoe."

And see "Deliverance."

Fred

John Fereira

"John" wrote in news:72zWb.7003$y07.444067
@news20.bellglobal.com:

[...]

I doubt that he's a troll. He, like many others that have come here before
for advice, are just incredibly naive. What is it about kayaking that make
people think that they can just go and buy a kayak and without any training
whatsoever use their craft for week, month, or multi-month long expeditions?

John Fereira

steveJ wrote in :

The only thing I'm worried about is the weather, flipping over and
sinking.

Sharks, snakes, skunks, bees, rats, bears, mosquitos, flies, sunburn,
dehydration, starvation, disease, illness, fungus, infection,
loneliness, monotony, drinking water, collisions, theft, bleeding to
death, murder, boredom, dimentia, repetitive stress injury,
hypothermia, getting lost, legal problems, lack of money, and all you
are worried about is the weather and flipping over and sinking?
1. learn to do the eskimo roll in case you capsize.
2. Build your boat from wood so it doesn't sink.
You'll do fine.

Baloney. A wood kayak that is full of water is just as useless as a
fiberlass, kevlar, or plastic kayak full of water. Sinking should not be
concern as much as flipping over, having the cockpit fill with water, then
be unable to empty the water, reenter, and continue paddling.

I inadvertantly deleted the original message so I'll respond here...
Michael Zefas wrote:
Hello,

I'm considering the possibility of buying a large kayak in the Med.,
putting some stuff in it and going half-way around the world in it.

Never mind the fact that it appears that you've never paddled a kayak
before, how are your navigational skills? Can you read a navigation chart?
Do you understand how the effects of currents can effect your course or
tides can impact where you may be able to go ashore?

Will it make it? Are there any modfications I can make to it which
will make it more resistant to the weather?

Uh, I'm not sure I'd want to paddle a kayak half way around the world that
wasn't weather resistant.

Every night, I'll pull it onto shore (I'll be able to lift it) and
camp out on the beach or wherever I stop.

Sounds easy, assuming you have experience coming in through the surf zone in
6-8' dumping waves onto a rocky beach.

The only thing I'm worried about is the weather, flipping over and
sinking.

Can anyone enlighten me on this idea? Personal experiences would be
helpful

Before buying that kayak read "Deep Trouble" and Chris Duffs "Southern
Exposure". Chris has probably put more miles in a kayak than anyone in the
past 10 years. During his trip around New Zealand a couple of years ago he
was forced to land on a cobblestone beach in a dumping surf. Despite all
his experience, his timing wasn't quite right and the landing was less than
successful. A wave caught his boat and pulled it back out where move waves
tossed it onto the rocks over and over. By the time he was able to retrieve
it and pull it to shore half of the deck was ripped off.