Steve Cramer

Default half-way round the world in a kayak

Michael Zefas wrote:
Hello,

I'm considering the possibility of buying a large kayak in the Med., putting
some stuff in it and going half-way around the world in it.

Will it make it? Are there any modfications I can make to it which will
make it more resistant to the weather?

Every night, I'll pull it onto shore (I'll be able to lift it) and camp out
on the beach or wherever I stop.

The only thing I'm worried about is the weather, flipping over and sinking.

Can anyone enlighten me on this idea? Personal experiences would be helpful

You may be thinking a little small. Verlen Kruger did 28,043 miles in a
canoe between April 29, 1980 to December 15, 1983. That's the equivalent
of around the world once and a bit.

But I'm curious about where this cockamamie idea came from. From the
questions you ask and your concerns it's obvious that you've never been
in a kayak. Don't you think it might be a good idea to get one and put
some miles on it--say 10 a day for a couple of months and see if you
really like it--before you talk about a 12,000 miler?

You might want to read books by and about people who have done long
distance paddles, like Gilette, Duff, Caffyn, Lindeman, etc.

At least you'll create a dynamite website to chronicle the trip, right?
Good luck.

--
Steve Cramer
Athens, GA