posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

Default Navigation question (Projecting a waypoint w/GPS)

On 6/19/2013 11:50 PM, JustWaitAFrekinMinute wrote:
On 6/19/2013 10:39 PM, Hank© wrote:
On 6/19/2013 10:29 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 21:01:14 -0400, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

wrote in message
Using a Garmin's Waypoint Projection feature, and projecting a
waypoint at 90 degrees, shouldn't my projected waypoint end up on the
same latitude as the original? And if not, why not?

For example, beginning at 30 degrees N latitude and 89 degrees W
longitude, I project a new waypoint at a distance of 10 miles with a
bearing of 90 degrees. As expected, my projected longitude changes to
a point further east. But for some reason, the projected latitude
ends up at a higher latitude than 30 degrees. In my example, the
projected latitude ends up as 30 degrees, 23.866 Minutes North.

I've tried using the same example on 3 different Garmins with the same
result. What am I missing?

I suspect it's a matter of choosing the right Datum.
http://geography.about.com/od/geogra...n/a/datums.htm
The above should explain it well enough.
Your direction is only as accurate as the datum chosen.

My unit has 110 different Datums to choose from. So far, I've just
always used the Garmin default (WGS 84) for navigation and it has
always been fine for that. The waypoint projection feature is the only
thing that seems a bit squirrely. So if you have a datum
recommendation that might cure that, I'll be glad to give it a go.

If you correct for deviation your course heading will be 090 true.

Is there a static equation for that?

No. But the link I provided will tell you the exact magnetic deviation
for any position at any given time.

åke wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Yeah.

East is least, west is best.

Let me guess. Are you a valley girl/boy? (ref. Calif)
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

In article ,
says...

åke wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

No, because it's not static.

åke wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Another of Wilbur's socks?

wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 21:01:14 -0400, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I don't know where you live. But I do know most Garmins default to
WGS 84 which the article linked to stated is out of date as of 2010.

You need to choose the best available datum for the area of the
world where you live. And remember, the world isn't a perfect
sphere. Chart datum for a particular part of the globe will take this
into account and correct for it even if the charts aren't representing
it accurately.

--
Sir Gregory

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 14:45:50 -0400, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

.. .
åke wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I saw that but I'm not sure what they mean by "invalid", especially
since a chart isn't even involved in what I'm trying to do. I mean, a
"datum" is not a system that can be switched off or abandoned, like
Loran for instance.

Anyhow, I've tried switching to NAD 83. That's the datum that the
article says most units are using now as default. But I still get
results as squirrely as before.

Basically, no matter what datum I use, I should be able to project a
second waypoint. Then, starting with my projected (second) waypoint, I
should be able to project a third point, using the same distance but
reciprocal bearing, and the third waypoint should be exactly the same,
(or reasonably close given rounding errors) as the first. But it's
not. It's further off than I would think is reasonable.

By the way, I'm on the Gulf Coast between Mobile and New Orleans.
Another by the way, I went to the Garmin Suppport site and they want
$30 to answer a frickin' question. I guess I just don't want to hear
their explanation that bad lol!

wrote:
Using a Garmin's Waypoint Projection feature, and projecting a
waypoint at 90 degrees, shouldn't my projected waypoint end up on the
same latitude as the original? And if not, why not?

For example, beginning at 30 degrees N latitude and 89 degrees W
longitude, I project a new waypoint at a distance of 10 miles with a
bearing of 90 degrees. As expected, my projected longitude changes to
a point further east. But for some reason, the projected latitude
ends up at a higher latitude than 30 degrees. In my example, the
projected latitude ends up as 30 degrees, 23.866 Minutes North.

I've tried using the same example on 3 different Garmins with the same
result. What am I missing?

Don't know, and, sorry, didn't read entire thread,
but could you try plotting several additional waypoints,
all bearing 90 but each with different distances,
say 10, 20, 30, etc miles? You get a "straight line",
recognizable great circle, or what?
Maybe that additional info would suggest some clue.
Some simple (but not simple enough for me to do
off the top of my head) spherical trigonometry would
tell you if half an extra degree north at 30 north
(all true) would keep you on a great circle 10 miles out.
Maybe plotting a few points will let you see the answer
without "doing the math".
--
John Forkosh ( mailto:
where j=john and f=forkosh )
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 16:23:37 +0000 (UTC), JohnF
wrote:

JohnF wrote:
wrote:
For example, beginning at 30 degrees N latitude and 89 degrees W
longitude, I project a new waypoint at a distance of 10 miles with a
bearing of 90 degrees. As expected, my projected longitude changes to
a point further east. But for some reason, the projected latitude
ends up at a higher latitude than 30 degrees. In my example, the
projected latitude ends up as 30 degrees, 23.866 Minutes North.

Excuse me for following myself up, but either I'm totally confused
(a common occurrence) or that example's totally messed up...
You say your waypoint's distance is 10nm, but its latitude
changes by 23.866'. Heck, even if you headed exactly due north
for 10nm, latitude would only change by exactly 10'.

No, you're not confused. I'm just getting projected waypoints that
make no sense. Fortunately, so far, my unit's GPS capability is spot
on, so I can still use it to navigate (with backup). I just can't
trust the "Projection" feature for accurate results. Never used it
much anyway.
By the way, I tried projecting 10 miles due north and it changed my
latitude by 33' minutes. I'm done fiddling with it at this point.
Thanks for the come back tho.

Then you've got it set to magnetic north or it's stuck on magnetic
north no matter how you set it. Set it to true north and try it again.

--
Sir Gregory

Navigation Question #9 Bart ASA 3 October 26th 08 03:55 PM
Navigation Question #9 Bart ASA 1 October 24th 08 01:39 AM
Navigation Question #6 Bart ASA 4 October 24th 08 01:36 AM
Navigation Question #7 Bart ASA 4 October 24th 08 12:07 AM
Navigation Question #5 Bart ASA 1 October 23rd 08 10:39 PM