posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec,boats
JohnF JohnF is offline

Default Navigation question (Projecting a waypoint w/GPS)

JohnF wrote:
wrote:
For example, beginning at 30 degrees N latitude and 89 degrees W
longitude, I project a new waypoint at a distance of 10 miles with a
bearing of 90 degrees. As expected, my projected longitude changes to
a point further east. But for some reason, the projected latitude
ends up at a higher latitude than 30 degrees. In my example, the
projected latitude ends up as 30 degrees, 23.866 Minutes North.

Excuse me for following myself up, but either I'm totally confused
(a common occurrence) or that example's totally messed up...
You say your waypoint's distance is 10nm, but its latitude
changes by 23.866'. Heck, even if you headed exactly due north
for 10nm, latitude would only change by exactly 10'.
--
John Forkosh ( mailto:
where j=john and f=forkosh )