Default Looking for a new country . . .

Are there any cruisers out there in cyberspace who have experience with living
for extended periods of time in a foreign country. You like it better than the
USA? Do they tax the crap outta ya?

Even Bruce in Bangkok might have some valuable input here.

How are the taxes in the country of your choice? How is the cost of living?
Grocery, beer and wine and other 'necessity' needs. Meds?

I've heard Belize used to be nice but has gotten expensive in the past few
years. What about Mexico? Is it possible to live aboard there comfortably and
inexpensively outside of tourist traps?

Any place else? I'd like to live in the Bahamas but I'm not sure they welcome
asshole Americans as new citizens?

What say you?

--
Sir Gregory Hall aka Wilbur Hubbard aka Capt. Neal aka Neal Warren aka Simple
Simon, etc. etc. etc.

On Sat, 1 Dec 2012 15:42:12 -0500, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

Are there any cruisers out there in cyberspace who have experience with living
for extended periods of time in a foreign country. You like it better than the
USA? Do they tax the crap outta ya?

Even Bruce in Bangkok might have some valuable input here.

How are the taxes in the country of your choice? How is the cost of living?
Grocery, beer and wine and other 'necessity' needs. Meds?

I've heard Belize used to be nice but has gotten expensive in the past few
years. What about Mexico? Is it possible to live aboard there comfortably and
inexpensively outside of tourist traps?

Any place else? I'd like to live in the Bahamas but I'm not sure they welcome
asshole Americans as new citizens?

What say you?

The are thousands, probably millions, of Americans who live in foreign
countries. Today you can hardly find a village in Thailand where
either a foreigner doesn't live, or used to live, or is building a
house to live.

Immigration and tax regulations vary from country to country but
generally speaking the "resident" regulations specifically forbid you
from working and you usually have to prove, in some manner, that you
have sufficient funds to support yourself.

Singapore, for example, will grant you a residence permit if you
invest sufficient funds in the country - several million I believe.
Malaysia allows a 90 day stay upon entry and unlimited 90 day
extensions, no requirement for income. Thailand being aware of the
Yankee Dollar has a formalized "retirement" visa system requiring the
deposit in a Thai bank of US$ 26,666 - which can then be spent during
the following year.

I believe that most countries have laws that you must pay taxes on any
income earned in the country and some say "world wide" income.
However, it is nearly impossible, or at least very impractical, for a
country to search out every penny you have in income so practically it
means that if you had a work permit you would pay taxes on monies
earned inside the country.

Most countries have fairly stringent regulations about citizenship and
in most cases it is probably not practical for most foreigners to get
foreign citizenship.
--
Cheers,
Bruce

Our Country John H[_2_] General 17 February 16th 11 02:31 AM
Our country needs prayer? HK General 1 May 8th 09 03:19 PM
Character of a country Mike[_9_] ASA 1 July 9th 08 03:25 AM
Don't Be Taken In AGAIN....It's Our Country Ted General 1 June 15th 07 03:08 PM
A country's character... Popeye ASA 2 January 6th 07 11:41 PM