Default STUCK!! (no, not aground!) - OT

On 14/11/2012 6:42 PM, Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"injipoint" wrote in message
On 14/11/2012 5:39 PM, Flying Pig wrote:
Yesterday afternoon I had my followup to my heart catheterization.

Looks like Wilbur was right - the doc said that there was NOTHING to
report.

When I pressed him about obstructions, he said "a little - nothing to be
concerned about" - so I pressed him harder.

"I had over 50% on the right side (the left being the one with the stents).
How's that look?"
"Lessee - about 30 %."
"Was that from taking my statins all this time?"
"Yup"
"So, by inference, if I keep this up for another few years, there will be
NOTHING?"
"Yes, that's right."

Earlier, the tech who took my vitals and verified what was going on with me
currently had asked if I took my statins at night. I said it was right
before I went to bed.

Good news, as statins work best when you're at rest. I hadn't known, just
did it that way after rinsing my toothbrushing.

So, I celebrated with a bowl of ice cream after dinner :{))

L8R, y'all

Skip, finished with reeving the new lines for the genoa and new running
backstays, about to re-gasket the reefer and frig, and generally ticking
off
the minutae remaining to splash...

Skippy -
Get the icecream in while you can. Unless you have a generator (don't
recall seeing one) might be a while before you can get any more.

Not so! Most boats carry a supply of canned whole milk. Canned whole cream is
also available. Provided one also has salt, zip-lock bags and ice one can make
their own ice cream.

http://www.food.com/recipe/instant-h...ce-cream-95452

Wilbur Hubbard

Ha! Never knew that. You learn something every day.

On Wednesday, November 14, 2012 12:36:34 PM UTC-5, injipoint wrote:

Skippy -

Get the icecream in while you can. Unless you have a generator (don't

recall seeing one) might be a while before you can get any more.

Heh. Our freezer can handle it with aplomb (kinda like chocolate drizzle), but between the extra amps (I'd have to lower the temps by a few degrees), and the breathtaking prices outside the US, not to mention it melting before we could get it to the freezer, my ice cream days are numbered.

Not such a bad thing, as I expect that most, if not all, of the 15% weight gain I've had in the last 20 months is a product of that lovely stuff...

L8R

Skip, going up the mast today, to run new exterior Cat 5, install a new bracket for the wind instrument, and replace (third one - where DO they go??) the windex due to missing arrow and MAYBE install a couple of steps if the'll come far enough to benefit, under the shrouds, not being enough room over them...

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 05:55:57 -0800 (PST), Flying Pig
wrote:

[...]

===

Be careful up there, law of gravity still prevails. :-)

On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 10:59:55 AM UTC-4, Flying Pig wrote:
Yesterday I was stuck in both arms; one for an IV, and the other for a line into my heart...

The back story is one that some of you may already know; I had a stress test 6 years ago based on my family upline male history. That stress test was interrupted due to a large abnormality, despite the many EKGs which had been taken due to my shoulder surgeries having been entirely normal. Stents were installed, and I went on a lifetime medication regime which totally altered my cholesterol readings. No ill effects noted, ever, and, suddenly, I was able to continue to breathe when I worked hard (my marker had been how little I could row, despite not being physically fatigued, without stopping to regain my breath).

Fast forward to the present, when I had an infection which I pursued courtesy of Medicare. The meds prescribed for that, we assume, had some negative side effects, because I was constantly tired. In addition, the work we’re now doing on the boat involved a couple of instances of nearly total depletion, heavy sweating, and shortness of breath. The doc recommended a stress test in any event, but as a good followup, now that there had been a lot of water under the keel, so to speak.

So, I did another stress test. The surface results were very good. Quick uptake on heart rate, no difficulty in maintaining it for quite a while, while it continued to climb (no breathing or strength issues; the tech said “Wow – you must be a runner!” – which I’m not, at all), and a quick recovery. However, the EKG suggested some anomaly, and my followup appointment was moved up by a couple of weeks.

The cardio guy wants to do a catheterization. That’s where they run a line into your artery and follow it to the heart, where they look around, and, if needed, as in the first case, resolve any problems.

The chief difference in last time to this one is that they now, if possible, go in through the arm, rather than carving a hole in my leg to get to the groin artery. No problem finding MY artery (the sticker said I could be a model for a phlebotomy class), and, a half-hour later, I was finished.

No problem found, including in my previous stents, and I was out of there before noon, as there was no waiting time for my excavation (in the groin) to heal/scab. While I didn’t get to talk to the cardio guy, and will have a followup appointment in a couple of weeks, the word was that he was very pleased, and there are no indications of the need for anything in my medications or activities to change.

So, all is well. While I can’t do anything more strenuous than picking up a mug of coffee for a couple of days with my right hand (the scab on my artery, if it were to fail, could bleed me out in a matter of minutes), we’re continuing to work on Flying Pig, where we’re VERY close to finished.

L8R

Skip

On Thursday, November 15, 2012 9:39:03 AM UTC-5, wayne.b wrote:

Be careful up there, law of gravity still prevails. :-)

With main halyard on the seat, and the spin halyard around my chest, tied off wherever I get to (2 strands), under my arms, I think I'm safe.

The chair is actually quite comfortable and I'm not the least bit put off by heights, so I have a good time, usually, when I go up.

Today was frustrating, though, for a variety of reasons, all of which combine to require me to go back up tomorrow for about the same thing, absent the drilling and tapping of the mounting holes...

L8R, y'all

Skip

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
On Thursday, November 15, 2012 9:39:03 AM UTC-5, wayne.b wrote:

Be careful up there, law of gravity still prevails. :-)

With main halyard on the seat, and the spin halyard around my chest, tied
off wherever I get to (2 strands), under my arms, I think I'm safe.

The chair is actually quite comfortable and I'm not the least bit put off by
heights, so I have a good time, usually, when I go up.

Today was frustrating, though, for a variety of reasons, all of which
combine to require me to go back up tomorrow for about the same thing,
absent the drilling and tapping of the mounting holes...

Whatever happened to the mast steps you talked about about a decade or so ago
when you first hauled out?

--
Sir Wilbur

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 12:08:34 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

Whatever happened to the mast steps you talked about about a decade or so ago
when you first hauled out?

===

Mast steps are a dangerous way to go aloft in my opinion unless you
use a safety halyard tailed by someone on deck. Steps also have a way
of fouling halyards and ripping sails.

wrote:

Whatever happened to the mast steps you talked about about a decade or so
ago
when you first hauled out?

===

Mast steps are a dangerous way to go aloft in my opinion unless you
use a safety halyard tailed by someone on deck. Steps also have a way
of fouling halyards and ripping sails.

Some of what you said is true but it depends upon the style of the mast steps.
My mast steps which I installed myself, one step at a time, fold up out of the
way and they have no sharp edges, don't foul the halyards nor do they rip
sails. But, I've seen some that very well could do all of the above because of
their poor design.

http://www.twinsrecreation.com/Boat-...p_p_81533.html

Mine look just like the above but mine are ABI brand which seems to have been
sold out to somebody else.

As for being dangerous to go aloft on, I disagree. One needs no safety line
tailed by somebody on deck. Why, that's ludicrous from a single-hander's
standpoint. We strive to be independent of some lubberly committee action. It
sure is ludicrous that sailors are willing to accept the lie that it takes a
committee to make one's way safely to the masthead.

--
Sir Wilbur

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote
As for being dangerous to go aloft on, I disagree. One needs no safety
line tailed by somebody on deck. Why, that's ludicrous from a
single-hander's standpoint. We strive to be independent of some lubberly
committee action. It sure is ludicrous that sailors are willing to accept
the lie that it takes a committee to make one's way safely to the
masthead.

If it makes him feel more comfortable having someone there, then so be it.
Who are you to tell him that he can't have someone there? It may not be any
more or less safe, but it's his boat, and his mast.

Maybe if for no other reason than for someone to dial 911 when the body hits
the deck.

"paulthomascpa" wrote in message
"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote:

As for being dangerous to go aloft on, I disagree. One needs no safety line
tailed by somebody on deck. Why, that's ludicrous from a single-hander's
standpoint. We strive to be independent of some lubberly committee action.
It sure is ludicrous that sailors are willing to accept the lie that it
takes a committee to make one's way safely to the masthead.

If it makes him feel more comfortable having someone there, then so be it.
Who are you to tell him that he can't have someone there? It may not be any
more or less safe, but it's his boat, and his mast.

Maybe if for no other reason than for someone to dial 911 when the body hits
the deck.

Did I tell him he can't have someone there? I suggest you read with
comprehension next time around.

Um, and his *trawler* has no mast (or, if it has a riding sail, the mast is
so short a fall from the top would likely only result in bruised pride).
What makes him comfortable is a non sequitur. He proffered advice
as if he were some sort of safety expert. I set him straight as his advice
was public. I did not hesitate to point out that his concern for safety was
not my concern.

--
Sir Wilbur

hard aground! (no, not me!) bpuharic General 4 July 17th 10 02:57 PM
Aground! Gilligan ASA 0 November 12th 06 03:51 AM
Off topic Stuck in Iraq vs. Stuck on Stupid.... Ellen MacArthur ASA 28 November 7th 06 04:27 AM
Running Aground Capri Cruising 25 November 16th 05 01:35 AM
Running aground Gerard Weatherby ASA 0 June 26th 03 12:39 AM