Default Out of Gibraltar and heading East

Well we've had a great week (or best part of) here in Gibraltar.
Wonderful to visit but it sure is pricey when you've become used to
Spanish and Moroccan prices.

We had a week in Spanish Ceuta before this and were very surprised at
the discovery. It is a wonderful place to visit.

Morocco (Smir, M'Diq, Chefchouen, Oued Lau and Tetuan) were all
excellent but Tangier harbor was a major disappointment. Not user
friendly for cruisers, that's for sure.

We think we'll cruise up the Spanish coastline, stopping in Malaga and
Cartahena etc but if the weather's good and the sailing's fine, we'll
probably just keep on going. Maybe Ibiza or even Sardinia before
turning south for Monastir in Tunisia for the winter.

We'll see. No internet for a while.

Hoges

On Fri, 05 Oct 2012 22:11:03 +0200, injipoint
wrote:

Well we've had a great week (or best part of) here in Gibraltar.
Wonderful to visit but it sure is pricey when you've become used to
Spanish and Moroccan prices.

We had a week in Spanish Ceuta before this and were very surprised at
the discovery. It is a wonderful place to visit.

Morocco (Smir, M'Diq, Chefchouen, Oued Lau and Tetuan) were all
excellent but Tangier harbor was a major disappointment. Not user
friendly for cruisers, that's for sure.

We think we'll cruise up the Spanish coastline, stopping in Malaga and
Cartahena etc but if the weather's good and the sailing's fine, we'll
probably just keep on going. Maybe Ibiza or even Sardinia before
turning south for Monastir in Tunisia for the winter.

We'll see. No internet for a while.

=========

Don't miss the French and Italian Riviera - not exactly inexpensive
but the scenery (of many different kinds) is to die for. I would go
back to Cannes, Cap Ferrat or Portofino in a heartbeat.

http://www.google.com/search?q=cap+ferrat&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo= u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=80JvUIr_G4ue8gSVt4GYBw&ved=0 CD4QsAQ&biw=1024&bih=605

http://www.google.com/search?q=cap+ferrat&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo= u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=80JvUIr_G4ue8gSVt4GYBw&ved=0 CD4QsAQ&biw=1024&bih=605#hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=por tofino+images+italy&oq=portofino+images&gs_l=img.1 .1.0l2.18471.18756.2.23608.2.2.0.0.0.0.171.248.1j1 .2.0...0.0...1c.1.PlYqKCKzocw&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_ gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=c18433c2a992751e&biw=1024&bih=605

wrote:

[...]

Very revealing those links. It makes me wonder why anybody would want to
cruise from city to city, from crowd to crowd, from noise to noise, from
breathing air full of diesel exhaust, to listen to 24/7 barking dogs and drunk
people, shore side emergency vehicle racket, wake after wake rolling the boat.
OMG to throw away money and time doing something that would be much easier
done via caravan????

Makes absolutely no sense to this sailor. Maddening crowds are NOT where's
it's at.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 17:26:06 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Lucky in a way, as you will never do it. Anchored in Florida, sitting
there slapping mosquitoes is the most exciting voyage you will ever
know.

Wilbur Hubbard

--
Cheers,
Bruce

wrote:

Very revealing those links. It makes me wonder why anybody would want to
cruise from city to city, from crowd to crowd

===

But did you enjoy the pictures?

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote
Very revealing those links. It makes me wonder why anybody would want to
cruise from city to city, from crowd to crowd, from noise to noise, from
breathing air full of diesel exhaust, to listen to 24/7 barking dogs and
drunk people, shore side emergency vehicle racket, wake after wake rolling
the boat.

If I were to do a world cruise, it'd for sure include the major ports of
call. It'd also include lots and lots of the smaller ports, bays, harbors,
fjords, rivers, and such. But it'd include the major ports because you have
to go to those too.

"paulthomascpa" wrote in message

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote
Very revealing those links. It makes me wonder why anybody would want to
cruise from city to city, from crowd to crowd, from noise to noise, from
breathing air full of diesel exhaust, to listen to 24/7 barking dogs and
drunk people, shore side emergency vehicle racket, wake after wake rolling
the boat.

If I were to do a world cruise, it'd for sure include the major ports of
call. It'd also include lots and lots of the smaller ports, bays, harbors,
fjords, rivers, and such. But it'd include the major ports because you have
to go to those too.

Aboard a cruise ship, yes, provided one craves crowds, noise, pollution and
crime. But, to subject one's self to all that while cruising in your own
private yacht smacks of masochism. . . It seems like too many people these
days don't really want to do what a small private yacht does best get away
from it all, instead they want to sight see. Take a freaking airplane.

For me (and other real sailors) the journey is the primary reason to sail, not
the destination. Any destination that is at odds with the solitude and
individualism of the journey definitely detracts from the journey. Major ports
are for those who can't really enjoy the journey for its own sake. Those who
seek out major ports in lieu of small, quiet, off the beaten path destinations
haven't a clue about getting away from it all and even less of a clue as to
what cruising in a small private yacht is all about.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Tue, 9 Oct 2012 17:42:39 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

Those who
seek out major ports in lieu of small, quiet, off the beaten path destinations
haven't a clue about getting away from it all and even less of a clue as to
what cruising in a small private yacht is all about.

===

So where did you go on your latest cruise? Any pictures?

wrote:

[...]

In Julius Caesar's writing we find an apt description: "He is the
worst kind of a fool; He doesn't understand that he is a fool."

You will find, if you ever do undertake a world cruise, that prices
are much higher in these cute little out of the way places then in the
major ports and contrary to what you may think you are going to need
supplies.
--
Cheers,
Bruce

wrote:

Don't miss the French and Italian Riviera - not exactly inexpensive
but the scenery (of many different kinds) is to die for. I would go
back to Cannes, Cap Ferrat or Portofino in a heartbeat.

We pulled into Almerimar to get the Honda fixed (??? shuddered to a halt

off Adra) and as small worlds would have it we are alongside some
Australians from Adelaide who are in their 12th year here in the Med.
They went to Portofino by bus from an anchorage about 5 miles away.
Their "slip" on the anchor was free, the ones in Portofino would send
most of us broke quickly!

Thanks for the tour.

Hoges

Heading out to the boat! Jack[_3_] General 10 November 1st 10 04:27 AM
Heading Out Through the Trough_Christopher Blossom_sqs Heading Out Through The Trough_Christopher Blossom, 2003_sqs.jpg [2/2] squeegees Tall Ship Photos 0 August 9th 09 04:23 AM
Heading South Bart ASA 8 November 6th 07 03:52 PM
We are heading out to do some................ *JimH* General 1 September 10th 05 04:00 PM
Heading for the hills simonwestgarth UK Paddle 0 August 26th 03 01:40 AM