posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Heading South

It looks like I'll be sailing south next week for the Caribbean.
It brings to mind my last trip.

I must be out of my mind! I can't afford to take two weeks
off to move a boat! I really don't like crossing the Gulf Stream,
and I hate it when other people eat my cereal and try to use
my towel!

This time I'm going to have a little chat with the other crew
on this trip and explain it advance, before we leave the dock
that the answer is no to any requests to eat my food, or
drink my personal stash of drinks.

I really don't want someone else's candy bars--they are not
like gold to me! Lat trip one guy offered me a candy bar
over and over again. He was shocked that I didn't want it.

I bring enough to last me, I don't plan for the rest of the crews
special needs. But it seems they bring too much and then
ant to get rid of it and eat my stuff. The only way to manage
this is to talk about it in advance.

Does anyone have a similar experiences?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bart" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

No, my wife and I learned to share years ago.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bart" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Some people never catch on to the fact that not everybody likes the
same things they like. You can see some good examples of that among
the regulars here on ASA.

I bring enough to last me, I don't plan for the rest of

the crews

The trips I've made, we've all gone together to the grocery store and
bought stuff together; although a few people have "their" stuff, most
of the food aboard is communal.

Towels... no! Nobody shares my towel, that's very unhygenic. Next
they'll want to share my toothbrush..

I did have an interesting experience years ago, when a guy who was on
my regular racing crew (in fact one of the best racing sailors I've
known) came with a group on a charter to the Bahamas. He & his
girlfriend holed up in the forepeak and stole 1/2 the food, hiding it
in their personal bags and claiming they didn't know where it was. I
had to practically drag him out to stand watch. Weird behavior.

"Scotty" wrote:
No, my wife and I learned to share years ago.

Towels, too?!?
Maybe at the beach....

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in me

"Scotty" wrote:
No, my wife and I learned to share years ago.

Towels, too?!?

yup, *everything*.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

oups.com...

"Scotty" wrote:
No, my wife and I learned to share years ago.

Towels, too?!?
Maybe at the beach....

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

One good thing, the lastest weaher charts show what
looks like an easy passage. Basically a rhumb line
or a passage slightly easter of it. A warm eddy
that can only help. Entering the Gulf Stream on
the rhumb line shows an easterly current.

The only negative I see and it's not a big one,
is the winds are presently slightly on the nose.
So with a favored starboard tack, that should
bring us on the east side of the rhumb line
towards the favored side of the warm eddy, and
across the Gulf Stream at it's narrowest.

It looks like an easy passage. I predict a
short stop in Bermuda and pressing on right
away.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Nov 1, 11:18 pm, Bart wrote:
On Nov 1, 12:05 pm, wrote:

oups.com...

"Scotty" wrote:
No, my wife and I learned to share years ago.

Towels, too?!?
Maybe at the beach....

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

One good thing, the lastest weaher charts show what
looks like an easy passage. Basically a rhumb line
or a passage slightly easter of it. A warm eddy
that can only help. Entering the Gulf Stream on
the rhumb line shows an easterly current.

The only negative I see and it's not a big one,
is the winds are presently slightly on the nose.
So with a favored starboard tack, that should
bring us on the east side of the rhumb line
towards the favored side of the warm eddy, and
across the Gulf Stream at it's narrowest.

It looks like an easy passage. I predict a
short stop in Bermuda and pressing on right
away.

Perhaps we should head north as the latest
evidence of arctic warming is due to undersea
volcanism.

http://www.mpg.de/english/illustrati...718/index.html

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Nov 5, 12:21 pm, Bart wrote:
On Nov 1, 11:18 pm, Bart wrote:

On Nov 1, 12:05 pm, wrote:

oups.com...

"Scotty" wrote:
[...]

http://www.mpg.de/english/illustrati...cumentation/pr...

http://www.bloggernews.net/111447

posted to alt.sailing.asa

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
1130 AM EST MON NOV 5 2007

FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND
THE GULF OF MEXICO...

TROPICAL CYCLONE FORMATION IS NOT EXPECTED
DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS.

Significant wave height and direction and
wind speed and direction:

http://www.oceanweather.com/data/

Gulf Stream Image:

http://www.weatherimages.org/data/imag143.html

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Held up with a bad sail drive lower unit.

Latest info.

http://www.nlmoc.navy.mil/home1.html

Click on North Atlantic, then whatever option
interests you.