Default I feel sorry for the people who bought radar for their cruising boats.

For the most part they wasted their money.

Why do I say this? It's because most of the so-called cruisers don't do
much in the way of cruising. To wit: Capt. Skippy who has been on the
hard for close to 9 months now and the little time he did spend cruising
he was rarely out of range of wi-fi and the Internet where he could pull
up radar images from powerful ground-based radar to inform him of storms
closing in. Why, I can pull up radar images from the Miami radar and see
storms approaching from miles away on my iPod.

Skippy, like most of todays so-called sailors ,doesn't need radar aboard
any more than they need sails as little as they use either. All they
really need is a diesel engine and Internet access. About 99% of the
time they have both. That's all they really need to stay happy. That and
plenty of spliff or rum.

LOL!

Wilbur Hubbard

On Mon, 5 Sep 2011 19:18:19 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

For the most part they wasted their money.

Why do I say this? It's because most of the so-called cruisers don't do
much in the way of cruising. To wit: Capt. Skippy who has been on the
hard for close to 9 months now and the little time he did spend cruising
he was rarely out of range of wi-fi and the Internet where he could pull
up radar images from powerful ground-based radar to inform him of storms
closing in. Why, I can pull up radar images from the Miami radar and see
storms approaching from miles away on my iPod.

Skippy, like most of todays so-called sailors ,doesn't need radar aboard
any more than they need sails as little as they use either. All they
really need is a diesel engine and Internet access. About 99% of the
time they have both. That's all they really need to stay happy. That and
plenty of spliff or rum.

====

If you don't need radar, and it is difficult to argue otherwise, then
you made the right decision. For people who run at night or in bad
weather radar makes all the difference between safe operation and
running blind.

Bob Bob is offline

Wilbur Hubbard

RADAR is a God send for me my friend. HOwever i msut agree 99% of the
"cruisers' I see/meet:

1) dont know how to operate
2) dont know how to interpret the data
3) dont operate in a fassion that any of the data would be benificial

I on the other hand, the great and powerful, (sorry wilbur i enjoy
using your language) use RADAR to find bouys, line up on approach,
close in on nasty ass bars duing darkness and other ill conditions.
FOG is a biggy on the west coast in the sumer. Try sailing amongst a
40 vessesl fishing fleet in zero visibility! The fog comes on fast.

Bob
Verizon customer service
SLC, UT

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
news.com...
[...]

Wilbur, Wilbur, Wilbur,

If your telling of characteristics of yourself is the same as
characterizations of my schedule, you're only 2/3 the man you claim to be...

A while ago, you said I'd been the yard 6 months. Now it's 9, but both were
off by about 3 months :{))

Boats being what they are, one thing leads to another, and the "while we're
at it, why don't we...'s" strike - so we keep adding stuff.

You already know about the toe rail project - on which, more, anon, when
it's finished, and, maybe, even, a new section in the refit gallery - which
is nearing completion (about 2/3 done).

Here's Lydia's Facebook comment on what's happened recently:

I must hail my husband, who has done a PERFECT job on the caulking on the
port side so far. Our learning curve was on the starboard side - still
technically a good seal, but not cosmetically perfect. He's got the knack
now - it's gorgeous and I'm so proud of him Woo Hoo Honey!

Lydia has her mother up the road which has, so far, added a couple of weeks
of cumulative time here due to our frequent dissapearances thereto.

Best, she's now comfortable with the pace and nature of the work, so she's
emininently more liveable.

We do have the other comforts, which get lots of use, she being a smoker...

As to the Radar, every passage we've been on has been out of range of WiFi
(I'm VERY good at that, but beyond a dozen miles, it's unobtainium), so we
use the Radar a lot. The first gray we see, it comes on.

Getting that rig sorted out due to the incompetance of the installation
company (they used the wrong cable for the application) took me more than
two years of badgering first the company, and then, using Raymarine's
technical services division as a weapon, bludgeoning them, to get it
resolved, but it's for sure working right, now.

Even here in the yard, where the national and regional weather pictures
don't tell us what's going on, we use it when we have a time-critical
non-moisture event happening. It saved our bacon when we redid the hatch
glass (which also came out perfectly).

L8R

Skip, back to work, having celebrated the LD holiday by working, lots, other
than a brief interlude for rain :{))

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

In article .com,
"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote:

For the most part they wasted their money.

bunch of drivel snipped......

LOL!

Wilbur Hubbard

Only a Moroooon (Bugs Bunny definition) would think to use a Radar only
for spotting Weather..... That is NOT what Marine Radars were Designed,
Built and Installed to do. Marine Radars were and are designed, to keep
you from running into other Moving Objets, that can't be seen with the
naked eye, or enhanced eyes, when it is DARK, Foggy, or Precipitation is
cutting down your visual Range. Back in the day, Radar was used as a
Position Fixing Device, but that has largely been replaced with, first
Loran A, Loran C, and now GPS. It also was used for locating Buoys, and
Navigational Aids, in the past, but that has largely been replaced by
the ChartPlotter, driven by the above mentioned Position Fixing Devices,
on the modern Bridge. the AIS Transponder System is making some inroads,
into the classic RADAR uses, but there are many OBJects, that simply do
not carry AIS Transponders. So, simply, Radar in todays Marine
Environment, is to keep you from running into other non-fixed Objects,
that you can't see, due to a variety of causes.

--
Bruce in Alaska add path before the @ for email

"Bruce Gordon" wrote in message
In article .com,
"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote:

[...]

Duh, if you can't see where you're going then slow down or heave-to
until visibility improves. Motoring around at high speeds relying solely
on radar causes more collisions than it avoids. I'm talking recreational
vessels, now, not commercial vessels that have to maintain some sort of
reliable schedule. There is no reason for a cruising boat to be
operating in no-visibility conditions in congested areas.

Wilbur Hubbard

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote:

[...]

===========

Only a fool would argue with Bruce Gordon about radar and/or marine
electronics.

news

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote:

[...]

He's a commercial fisherman if I've got him pegged. I bet even your
precious Bruce Gordon is not enamored of recreational vessels constantly
in his way mucking up the works. You seem to be forgetting that
recreation is LOW PRIORITY so stop selfishly interfering with commerce
with your toys. Have a little human decency.

Wilbur Hubbard

I'l give you one thing, Willie..... at least you try to keep the arguments
boating related............but...duh....you sure do come up with some dumb
arguments.

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in news:4e6693e8$0
:

Duh, if you can't see where you're going then slow down or heave-to
until visibility improves. Motoring around at high speeds relying solely
on radar causes more collisions than it avoids. I'm talking recreational
vessels, now, not commercial vessels that have to maintain some sort of
reliable schedule. There is no reason for a cruising boat to be
operating in no-visibility conditions in congested areas.

Wilbur Hubbard

In article .com,
llid says...

[...]

For navigation, with good chart plotter and good charts, a GPS system
can do almost as well as radar---if the charts are accurate. Radar
really becomes helpful when poking through the fog. It shows
the fishing boats and ferries that your chartplotter cannot--
unless they happen to have AIS transmitters. There were times
on the cruise between Ketchikan and Bellingham last year that I
was thankful that we had radar and that the Navy had trained
me to use it effectively.

Mark Borgerson

Why do people buy cruising catamarans ? [email protected] Cruising 122 July 22nd 18 03:05 PM
If you like all the new people in rec.boats.... hk General 91 June 9th 10 12:55 AM
people abandoning boats wf3h General 21 April 5th 09 07:34 AM
Is this how people feel? Frogwatch[_2_] General 12 January 14th 09 02:59 PM
Understanding Cruising (from rec.boats.cruising) Capt. Neal® ASA 5 April 8th 05 07:19 PM