Default Is this how people feel?

An old friend came through town and she is a computer type who does
main frame stuff. She was recently laid off from a very large
mainframe data base management company. She spent the entire time
discussing how much she disliked the company and how it was run. I
was shocked by this although I have friend who regularly talks about
how much he dislikes his state govt job. Our discussion really shook
me because it seemed so nightmarish to work for years at something you
dislike. This has me wondering, how many people work for an entity
they do not like? How many people dislike their work?
I have worked for people I disliked and have done jobs I disliked but
that was when I was much younger. I think that as you get older and
wiser you should figure out that you slowly are killing yourself if
you dislike your work. My friend lives for her days off which seems
very sad. You spend so much time at work the idea of not enjoying it
seems unimaginable.
HK HK is offline

Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

In the real world, a lot of people are "trapped" in jobs they don't like
for companies they like less. Surely you can think of the reasons why.

The best approach these days for any employee is to keep your resume up
to date and ready to go, and your eyes open for a better job at a better
company.

On Jan 13, 11:08*am, HK wrote:
Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

company.- Hide quoted text -

In the real world a lot of people like what they are doing for
companies they like even more.
jps jps is offline

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 07:29:52 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch
wrote:

[...]

While I'm sure most people find satisfaction in aspects of their work,
I don't think I've had a job that didn't also have its downside.

Also, I expect its a lot easier focusing on the negative when being
let go.

Change is constant that can turn good situations bad. Being hired
into good circumstances with good management in good companies aren't
guaranteed to stay that way. While they're enjoying their work,
getting promoted, taking on a new or bigger house, bigger debt, kids,
etc. the world keeps changing. Management, markets, economies all
move and can upset any perfect situation.

The obligations that people naturally assume as they settle into a
career can easily prevent them from moving even laterally.

I feel sorry for anyone in this market. It's going to get worse
before it gets better. The trickle down is just now starting.
jps jps is offline

wrote:

[...]

Should have said I feel sory for anyone looking for new work in this
market.

hk hk is offline

wrote:

[...]

It's very rough already and it is going to get worse. Perhaps some
long-term unemployment and loss of health care benefits this year might
turn overly smug Republicans into human beings.

"hk" wrote in message
m...

It's very rough already and it is going to get worse. Perhaps some
long-term unemployment and loss of health care benefits this year might
turn overly smug Republicans into human beings.

Leadership at it's best.

Eisboch

hk hk is offline

Eisboch wrote:

"hk" wrote in message
m...

It's very rough already and it is going to get worse. Perhaps some
long-term unemployment and loss of health care benefits this year
might turn overly smug Republicans into human beings.

Leadership at it's best.

Eisboch

Might be the best thing for 'em; make 'em feel as if they have a
connection to their fellow human beings.

jps jps is offline

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 06:20:23 -0500, hk wrote:

Eisboch wrote:

"hk" wrote in message
m...

It's very rough already and it is going to get worse. Perhaps some
long-term unemployment and loss of health care benefits this year
might turn overly smug Republicans into human beings.

Leadership at it's best.

Eisboch

Might be the best thing for 'em; make 'em feel as if they have a
connection to their fellow human beings.

There's a group of Republicans who've already chosen to retire rather
than face the firing squad.

They'll lose even more seats in 2010.

Excellent leadership. They've led the American people to an epiphany.

wrote:
[...]

I don't ever remember being told that I had any reasonable expectation
of actually enjoying a job. I was told about the dignity of work and
how one must work hard to get ahead...... etc.

In fact, I had a general manager once opine that "work" was an
activity that one would never otherwise engage in, unless sufficiently
compensated. Work, then, for him, was any job he could assign, no
matter how discomforting or distasteful to the employee and his/her
family, as long as he felt the employee was sufficiently compensated.

Lots of folks, over time, have worked their way up to a pay grade that
they could not leave without causing a major upheaval in their
family's existence.

For a LOT of folks..... reality, by necessity, sucks......
--

Forté Agent 5.00 Build 1171

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by
the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover." - Unknown

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepagehttp://pamandgene.tranquilrefuge.net/boating/the_boat/my_boat.htm

I figured that most people by the time thye are in their early 50s
have found out that working at something they dont like will kill them.

I feel so much better... dennis meissner[_2_] General 1 October 20th 08 02:42 AM
So, do you feel lucky? JimH General 7 October 18th 06 08:54 PM
Wow I feel better SUZY ASA 12 January 25th 06 02:57 PM
Do you ever feel confused? Smithers one of 1000's General 39 December 22nd 05 01:17 AM
I feel so... Scott Vernon ASA 0 July 13th 03 10:34 PM