Default Good and bad news about long board sanding.

The bad news . . .

It takes one hellavu long time. I know because years ago when I was working
for Irwin Yachts in Clearwater, FL, Ted Irwin decided he wanted another race
boat. Of course, these are one-off's and don't get popped out of a nice
smooth female mold like the production models. Instead, they are laid up on
a male mold so the outside (water side) ends up very rough. Thus the need
for long board sanding. It might have been "Razzle Dazzle", I can't recall
for sure but it took TWO WEEKS of long board sanding by hand with two people
to a board.

The good news . . .

This was eight hours per day but it was in a climate-controlled shed so the
workers wouldn't overheat and pass out. But the result was stunning. The
finished product looked as if it was a bottle blown from glass it was so
smooth.

So, Skippy, prepare yourself for a HUGE amount of work.

Wilbur Hubbard

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
news.com...

[...]

Hi, again,

Ya, I know about the long-time bit. Fortunately, Wayne reminded me of an
asset this group had for a very long time; he's tamed the longboard dragon,
and will be helping me with the right tool for the job.

Besides, we're not doing what Ted did - we're just hitting the low spots,
then skimming, and sanding in a buttery substance, not rock hard. The Dykem
layer will probably take a bit more work, as it will have fully cured by
that time, but we're only taking down the odd high spot then, so not nearly
so much effort.

I'm not going for the bottle-glass look, either, but I'll settle for no
obvious ripples or dips...

Thanks for the heads up, though...

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain