Junior Member

Default Caterpiller 3208NA engines?

Still looking at Grandbanks 42,s and have found one that appears to be outstanding! However, I don't have a clue as the problems inharent with the Caterpiller engines (3208NA). If anyone has had experience with this type of engine, PLEASE get back to me. Thank you in advance--CRA

On Sun, 1 May 2011 03:18:17 +0100, Capt. Ray Allen
wrote:

Still looking at Grandbanks 42,s and have found one that appears to be
outstanding! However, I don't have a clue as the problems inharent with
the Caterpiller engines (3208NA). If anyone has had experience with
this type of engine, PLEASE get back to me. Thank you in advance--CRA

They are good reliable engines if they have been maintained well and
not abused (over heated, over loaded, etc.). Typical lifespan is in
the area of 5,000 hours before being rebuilt. Cylinders are not
sleaved so rebuilding requires engine removal, cylinder boring and new
pistons and/or rings. Parts and expertise are widely available.

wrote:

Still looking at Grandbanks 42,s and have found one that appears to be
outstanding! However, I don't have a clue as the problems inharent with
the Caterpiller engines (3208NA). If anyone has had experience with
this type of engine, PLEASE get back to me. Thank you in advance--CRA

The people I worked for in Indonesia had a 35? foot G.B. with 3208's
in it. They complained a lot about problems although what I saw was
mainly minor things. For example, the raw water pumps failed so
frequently that they bought two spares and carried them on the boat.
Overheat - change the pump.

I might add that during this period we were the largest purchaser of
CAT spare parts in the country so we got good service but the CAT
people sure hated to see us call :-)

In mitigating let me say that I have no idea how the engines were
operated, for all I know they might have been running them wide open
with the wrong props, and over the years I've seen little to complain
about with cat equipment..

There is a pretty good write describing various engines at
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/comparing_diesel_types.htm
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Superb engine with excellent worldwide support.
Steve

wrote:

Still looking at Grandbanks 42,s and have found one that appears to be
outstanding! However, I don't have a clue as the problems inharent with
the Caterpiller engines (3208NA). If anyone has had experience with
this type of engine, PLEASE get back to me. Thank you in advance--CRA

About Caterpiller and the porkulus, welllllllll..................... Frogwatch General 1 February 13th 09 01:03 PM
Boat Engines Steve Morrisby Boat Building 19 December 19th 06 05:44 PM
1700 Lb Engines Don Dando Boat Building 2 November 3rd 06 10:55 PM
Lee Engines Harry Graham Boat Building 2 May 31st 04 05:41 AM
Engines going out Bertie the Bunyip ASA 29 October 19th 03 06:36 PM